LegacyGT.com

Has any one had issues with the 2010 Legacy GT and SPT Turbo Boost Gauge

I know I got one of the first 2010 Legacy GT's in the Houston area and I am having issues with the install of the SPT Turbo Boost Gauge (H501SAJ200). It should be noted that I also have the Harman / Kardon Premium Audio Stystem with Bluetooth Wireless Audio Capability installed.

On Friday 8/7 the dealership installed the Boost Gauge, the following day I noticed that the hands free buttons on the steering wheel were no longer functional.

On Monday 8/10 I returned to the dealership to see what was wrong and the tech that did the original installed showed me as soon as the boost gauge was plugged into the head unit alone that the boost gauge worked perfectly. When the wire harness from the steering column was plugged in alone every thing worked fine. As soon as the boost gauge and the wire harness were piggy backed off each other (per the instructions) the steering wheel's controls were no longer functional. I was told that next day the tech's would get with the SOA tech line and see if a remedy could be found.

I got a call to bring the car back in so on Friday 8/14 I took the car back to the dealership. The tech had talked to the SOA tech line and there solution was to try and swap the positions of which unit plugged into the head unit first. After trying that procedure without success it was decided to order another boost gauge to determine if the first unit was faulty.

So on Friday 8/21 I again returned to the dealership as the new gauge was in. After the whole dash was taken apart again and the new gauge installed the same issue remains.

So after taking 4 partial vacation days I still don't have a functional boost gauge. I thought I was doing pretty well untill this last time. I knew I was purchasing a brand new model, and the dealership is just as pi$$ed as I am. The dealership seems to be getting no assistance from SOA tech line. The tech can not get pin layouts for the harnesses to try and debug the situation himself.

So in less than a week I start a 2,500 mile road trip with a boost gauge that is not operable.

Sorry to vent. I am just wondering if any one else had the SPT Boost Gauge installed and had this issue with the 2010 Legacy GT and if they did can you give me contact that I can give to the dealership to maybe resolve this issue.

Rick

sry to hear Rick, maybe the boost gauge is taking too much power from the hermon kardon head unit? I would try to see the schmatics on the head unit and steering wheel to figure that problem. I'm just putting it out there, I hope they get the problem resolved!

• 4 weeks later...

I just heard from the dealership today that a new wiring harness for the Turbo Boost Gauge had been shipped and should be in during the next couple of days.

If I have time I will get it installed next week.

I will update the board when I can get the gauge re-hooked up.

Another road trip planned for next week.

Rick

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I just installed the same SPT Boost guage last night on my 2010 LGT. Went for a road test and found everythingworking perfectly. I found this thread and went to check my Hands free switch on my steering wheel....SAME PROBLEM.

Perhaps they had a batch of bad harnesses that came with the boost guage? Do you still have your invoice? Can you tell me what the part number is for the replacement harness?

- jerry

Jerry - Very interesting. That makes 3 people on this forum having this SAME problem. I thank Rick for initially posting, otherwise I would have thought it was an isolated problem.

I have the wiring harness part number in my shop and will send it to you. I attempted to order it and was told that there are none in the U.S. at this time. I would have to order a complete kit to get a cable.

I am going to take the cable out this morning and check pin to pin wiring. If you think about it... the 20 pin "bridge cable" is just that. P1 female wire should go to P1 on the male, P2 to P2 etc.

The other 2 connectors are light dimming for the guage and signal power from the sensor.

I am determined to figure out what is wrong with this cable.

PS private message sent to you also.

Bob

3 people?? who was the other one?

Jerry - Very interesting. That makes 3 people on this forum having this SAME problem. I thank Rick for initially posting, otherwise I would have thought it was an isolated problem.

I have the wiring harness part number in my shop and will send it to you. I attempted to order it and was told that there are none in the U.S. at this time. I would have to order a complete kit to get a cable.

I am going to take the cable out this morning and check pin to pin wiring. If you think about it... the 20 pin "bridge cable" is just that. P1 female wire should go to P1 on the male, P2 to P2 etc.

The other 2 connectors are light dimming for the guage and signal power from the sensor.

I am determined to figure out what is wrong with this cable.

PS private message sent to you also.

Bob

The originator of this thread was #1, I am #2 and you are #3.

I spoke to the dealer who fixed Rick's boost gauge problem. The problem is the harness. They got a new one from Subaru tech support.

There is NO part number for the new "correct" harness. "Will be out shortly".

I will be calling tech support Mon. am.

I am curious how many other owners are having the same problem.

I happen to have a hookup at my local dealership. If rick2010 would like to provide the last 8 of his VIN (you can PM me), I can have my local dealer look up his warranty claim and see what part number the new harness is.

My local dealer has ordered me a replacement harness already, but I would like to match that number with the replacement harness rick2010 got in his repair.

From what I have learned, I believe that the harness that your dealer has probably ordered you will be the exact same as the harness you have if he ordered you H501SAJ205 and will have the same issue. This problem is only weeks old and I believe there is no "official" correct wiring harness with a part number yet. A harness with a "fix" has to come from Subaru tech support. I got this info directly from the service manager who fixed Rick's LGT. I will have additional info Monday afternoon.

Interesting....

The dealer that fixed rick2010's boost guage never got paid for the warranty claim since August. So i guess its confirmed that there is no acutal part number as robrizok stated. Looks like the other dealer installed the new harness without getting paid any labor from SOA.

I will keep you guys updated if I hear anything. Ill have the local dealer call tech support and see if there is any new news.

I fixed the harness issue and so can you......

Take a close look at the factory cable connector to the Nav head. The one that connects to the boost gauge bridge connector.

Notice that one pin row is completely filled and the other is not.

On the row that has one "open" pin location, the end slot is filled and the open pin is one slot in.

Now look closely at the bridge connector.

On the row that has one "open" pin location, it is on the end.

It is on the end on both ends of the bridge connector.

It should be one pin slot in to match the factory connector.

To fix this you must move the wire and pin to the outside leaving a blank, one slot in to match the factory connector.

This is alittle tricky. It can be done and I just did it. The pin will easily slide out when you raise up the "hold down" bar on the side of the connector. Remember to do this for both ends of the bridge connector.

All steering wheel hands free functions work great.

PS - when you disconnect the battery you loose the driver's side window auto down/up until you manual fully raise the window once.

Bob

Nice work robrizok!

I for one, still feel for $399, we shouldnt have to do our own repairs.

All the advise you stated before is absolutely true. I just got the verification that Subaru has requested the manufacturer (AutoMeter), to provide the dealer with an updated harness. That explains why there is no new part number and why the other dealer did not get paid for the warranty claim.

So I guess to break it down for someone else that has the same issue....

1. Take it back to the dealer and insist on having them contact Tech Line.

2. Insist on them to refer the previous Tech Line case #'s 328249021 and 462578434

3. Have them have AutoMeter provide the new harness.

or you can fix it yourself following robrizok's directions....

Archived