LegacyGT.com

Bad Brakes?

I had my rotors turned twice before 10k. The rotor/pad combo is just horrible on these cars. Had them done again at the last warranty service at 35k.

I just changed all four rotors and pads to premium aftermarket ones at 50k. Grabbing is gone, on/off vibration is gone, much happier now :)

I had my rotors turned twice before 10k. The rotor/pad combo is just horrible on these cars. Had them done again at the last warranty service at 35k.

I just changed all four rotors and pads to premium aftermarket ones at 50k. Grabbing is gone, on/off vibration is gone, much happier now :)

Thanks for that info. I guess once out of warranty I'll go the same route. :)

Recommend a good brand? Or are all aftermarkets pretty much the same?

Recommend a good brand? Or are all aftermarkets pretty much the same?

The premium rotors I got were CENTRIC rotors. I've used them before and they are very good. MOUNTAIN rotors are also good, they look similar, and also Raybestos Advanced Technology rotors are good.

I really wanted to get rid of brake dust, not permanently, I just wanted to extend the time between cleanings. So I went with ceramic pads.

I have tried the Akebono Euro line of pads and they are good but I couldn't find it for my Subaru so I went with the NAPA Adaptive One pads and was really surprised at how good they were after the break-in, break-in period is a lot longer than carbon pads, the rubber coated hardware was a nice touch. The Raybestos Advanced Technology line also has pads that are similar.

That's it :)

I have found that the Subaru brake pedal needs to be pushed harder than almost any other new-model car brake pedal. You get use to it. It will stop just as well as anything else, you just need to push harder. If you push REALLY hard, it WILL stop. bigger breaks or better pads will give you more stopping power, but it will still have the same braking hardware in between your foot and the actual rotor/calipers, which will still cause some of what you report even if you upgrade everything.

I travel a lot and have driven everything from Audi to Honda to Lexus to Chrysler to Buick to Ford, so I know what you're saying about Subaru brakes. You really will get use to them, there is nothing actually wrong with them.

[CENTER][B][I] Front Limited Slip Racing Differentials for the 5EAT now available for $1895 shipped, please inquire for details! [/I][/B][/CENTER]

Archived