LegacyGT.com

e85 and 93 mixed

05Boost

E85 is more miles per dollar.

Yes. Exactly. You lose a little bit of range, but that is rarely an issue.

I suggest revising that statement:

E85 is more miles per dollar, and more smiles per mile. ;)

My '05 LGT

My '07 Supercharged Shelby

ha ha yeah I agree. Im kind of regretting switching, but my tuner told me that if it gets really cold, it might just not start! that freaked me out, so I switched. Seemed like it took forever to warm up too. More touchy when cold

ha ha yeah I agree. Im kind of regretting switching, but my tuner told me that if it gets really cold, it might just not start! that freaked me out, so I switched. Seemed like it took forever to warm up too. More touchy when cold

Definitely true. Cooling properties of E85 do take it a long time to warm up and can make starting tough in the cold. The really, really simple solution is to add 2.5gallons of straight fuel when temps drop below 30F. You can do this if you have a good tune. I've tested to -5F and it starts fine, although it definitely takes a couple extra seconds. I also tried starting at 15F on pure E85 and can confirm that it can leave you stranded.

My '05 LGT

• 4 months later...

I did some logs last weekend with pure E85. On Tuesday a cold front came in and it got down to around 15F when I needed to start my car at night after work. I planned ahead and augmented pure E85 with straight 91oct. I put 2.5 gallons of 91oct and topped off the tank. My cutesy name for the winter/cold blend is "E58", because if you calculate the resulting ethanol content it's down close to 58%.

I've always felt I've left enough latitude in my tune and E85 is forgiving enough that I don't even have to let AFR Learning D set up before going WOT. Well, I tested that this a.m. I checked LV prior to doing the logs and A-C were all -2 to -5%, but AFR Learning D didn't have much of a chance to set up (stray from zero), and was at -0.5%.

So, here's the results... I did 2 pulls in 3rd gear with E85 (red lines) and 2 pulls in 3rd with E58 (black lines). I have my LC-1 reporting in lambda as well as my RR defs, so that's what you are seeing on the y-axis. I expected richer AFR's, but these are even richer than I thought they would be. That's a lot of fuel! It's okay, but if it were 0.1-0.2 lambda richer I'd start getting concerned about fouling the O2 sensors and possibly bore wash.

http://beeez.com/lgt/E58andE85.jpg

My '05 LGT

When you are mixing fuels to make your "E58" are you taking into account that it's winter? It's not really E85 at the pumps this time of year... it's more like "E70"

Yes, I am. The tank holds around 15.7 gallons. In the winter (Colorado), the blend is E70, like you stated. If I put 2.5 gallons of 91oct in the tank and top it off with E85 (or winter E85="E70"), then I've got...

13.2 gallons of E70, of which 9.25 gallons are ethanol.

The tank is 15.7 gallons, 9.25 are ethanol... dividing 9.25 by 15.7 gives a resulting 58.8% alchohol.

So.. my cutesy "E58" moniker works. :p

BUT, I honestly don't believe that the winter blend is changed all the way down to 70%.... even though they say it is.

My '05 LGT

Alright here is the rest of the data.

To recap, I've made no changes to the map and no changes to hardware. The 5 lines below represent 5 different 3rd gear WOT runs with different fuel blends/fuel trims.

The red lines are pure E85. Fuel trims are set up.

The black lines are "E58" (see above), but fuel trims are NOT set up. I'm running "E58" but the ecu still "thinks" I'm running E85.

The blue lines are the same tank of "E58", but after ~150 miles of driving, mostly on the highway. The fuel trims are fully set up. AFR Learning D set up and stabilized at -4.1. I knocked twice on one log but not at all on the other... at 6000rpms and then again at 6400rpms... not sure if it was an anomaly or loss in ethanol knock protection or the tune being a little too aggressive for this much blending.

Anyways, the AFR's all make sense. I expected the blue-line AFR's to fall between the red and black lines, but I thought they'd more closely mimic the pure E85 AFR's. I'm glad they aren't quite that lean though.

http://beeez.com/lgt/E582.jpg

My '05 LGT

Archived