LegacyGT.com

Sts turbo for n/a legacy

The system requires no intercooler because the boost pressure is so low. These kits typically run less tha 6 psi of boost. You get heat in the air from compressing it, not because it is near the heat of the engine.

this kit produces about the same amount of boost as the AVO kit. so.. if heat build up in the engine bay doesnt effect the temperature of the air in the turbo. why does AVO's kit come with a FMIC?

this kit produces about the same amount of boost as the AVO kit. so.. if heat build up in the engine bay doesnt effect the temperature of the air in the turbo. why does AVO's kit come with a FMIC?

Good point but I think the cooler the air the better and another reason for the fmic is the fact that you can't fit a tmic under our NA bonnets the rear/mid mount would def get cooler air with no major source of ambient heat besides the exhaust pipe

The sts kit is externally wastegated to make boost, the avo one has the fmic to make boost, the avo kit is supposed to give you a 100hp gain with the up, dp, short ram intake and fmic, with the size of the turbo in the avo kit the only way to get 6-8 psi on our engines is through a fmic

Adiabatic efficiency of the compressor.

The sts kit is externally wastegated to make boost, the avo one has the fmic to make boost, the avo kit is supposed to give you a 100hp gain with the up, dp, short ram intake and fmic, with the size of the turbo in the avo kit the only way to get 6-8 psi on our engines is through a fmic

confused on what your saying. Wastegates dont make boost they are used to control boost. FMICs are used to cool air nothing more.

With a FMIC you can run higher boost with a turbo as opposed to a TMIC..correct? The AVO kit the turbo is a very small turbo and is supposed to give you a 100hp gain the FMIC has a big role in that gain, the same kit that avo makes for the 2.5rs with a similar turbo doesn't get as much of a gain and it comes with a TMIC, correct me if I'm wrong i but that is one of the bigger reasons why the avo kit comes with a fmic so you can get the powergain from it, that and the obvious 2.5I doesn't have a hood scoop for a TMIC. This whole sts kit though although it is "universal" you most likely won't get a big gain from I its made more so for v8's and v6's. I mean if someone wants to make the first move...

I'm doing the smart thing and upgrading to an LGT in the near future.

With a FMIC you can run higher boost with a turbo as opposed to a TMIC..correct? The AVO kit the turbo is a very small turbo and is supposed to give you a 100hp gain the FMIC has a big role in that gain, the same kit that avo makes for the 2.5rs with a similar turbo doesn't get as much of a gain and it comes with a TMIC, correct me if I'm wrong i but that is one of the bigger reasons why the avo kit comes with a fmic so you can get the powergain from it, that and the obvious 2.5I doesn't have a hood scoop for a TMIC. This whole sts kit though although it is "universal" you most likely won't get a big gain from I its made more so for v8's and v6's. I mean if someone wants to make the first move...

FMICs are more efficient for our cars then TMIC options out there for turbos even as small as the VF40. Not the same can be said apparently for STIs. They have a wider option of TMICs that with their stock turbos going FMIC isnt the best route for efficient power.

The AVO kit probally comes with the FMIC just because of the 2.5i not having a hood scoop.

STS isnt just made for v8s and v6s, they have a kit for an integra if I remember.

Yes thats the smart thing indeed.

Ultimately, yes a FMIC will give the benefit of supporting larger turbos and more airflow due to thier sheer size. You can only fit an intercooler so big under the hood. For the power levels you are talking about, a TMIC will work fine. At 100 horsepower over stock you are essentially talking somewhere around stock Legacy GT or stock WRX power levels. Both cars make do just fine with top mount intercoolers. I believe the primary reason you see a FMIC offered on the AVO kit is because it is a cheaper/easier solution than getting a hood with a hole in it.

RE: STS kits not using turbos. They can do so becuase they are utilizing the compressor in the most efficient range of thier operation at low boost pressures, therefore only generating marginal heat into the charge air and retaining high adiabatic efficiency. Many factory turbocharged vehicles from years past came without any type of intercoolong from the factory.

I expect the loooooong plumbing cools the boosted air, at least a bit.

And adds maybe a teensy bit of lag...

06LOB2.5i MT, JDMRSB, GYTTs, HPS, LGT Mufflers & Leather Wheel, SubiMomo Knob, Inalfa Moonroof, Clutch Switch Bypass, DeDRLd, DeChimed, & Straight Headrest.

I expect the loooooong plumbing cools the boosted air, at least a bit.

And adds maybe a teensy bit of lag...

I bet the volume stored in the induction piping ( 5 1/2 feet or so ) is equal to what the AVO FMIC could store and I would imagine some lag with long a path of travel The LGT comment however is still in all our best interest as RZA pointed out

I bet the volume stored in the induction piping ( 5 1/2 feet or so ) is equal to what the AVO FMIC could store and I would imagine some lag with long a path of travel The LGT comment however is still in all our best interest as RZA pointed out

Instead of guessing, why not actually figure it out?

Volume of 5.5 ft. of 2.5" diameter pipe:

3.14*1.25"^2*66" = 323.81 cubic inches.

AVO core:

23.5"*8.8"*3.5" = 723.8 cubic inches.

And no, traveling through 5ft. of piping is nothing at all comparable to intercooling. There is no expansion and heat exchange taking place in that pipe like there is in an intercooler.

• 1 year later...
  • 2 months later...
Just posted about this because I didn't search sts instead I searched remote mount and nothing came up. I will not be turboing my car for quite some time but STS is local here in Utah (5 minutes away) and the owner was drumming some stuff up for my buddy and his Impreza which according to the owner and a local tuner would have worked great but my friend never followed through. If i do turbo I will probably go this route rather then the AVO being it is local unless there is something terribly wrong with a remote mount for a subaru.

Well there is nothing wrong with a remote mount for any car but AVO has licked this issue pretty good. There isn't a large market for 2.5i turbo kits so for STS to waste R&D on a kit for a car that the owners wont buy it doesn't make sense.

It would be cool to see a STS kit in action on a Subaru however .....

Archived