LegacyGT.com

05 suspension problems?

phuzaxeman

my car doesn't take many bumps at a time like it did just a few years ago. it's really hard to explain but it seems to be not as smooth in taking the bumps. i think it's a little louder too. does this sound like a shocks issue? maybe u can help. i've got 75k on my car already.

Just so you know. The only upgraded replacement for the stock struts is the Koni. Both the Bilstein and the Tokico will require you to switch over to the spec b tophats on the front in order for them to mount properly. This will also raise the front of your vehicle by a half an inch or a little more.

As for the Koni's, the front struts are what Koni's call their "cut a strut" system. Basically you drill a hole in the bottom of your existing front strut, drain the oil inside, cut the top off, remove the internals, make the hole in the bottom larger, slide the Koni insert inside, and bolt it down from the bottom. While I haven't done one myself it doesn't seem too difficult if you have all the proper tools or are willing to pay someone you trust to do it for you.

Also, the Koni struts were designed to be used with your stock springs and will provide a great upgrade without changing your springs. They are also adjustable (as are the Tokico's) and therefore will work great with a stiffer after market spring as well.

Bottom line, if you would like to upgrade your struts to something other than stock ones do your research and educate yourself on what you're getting in to. ;)

Cheers!

Archived