LegacyGT.com

'95 legacy wagon help

rmh4097

There are some very wide variations in price. Typically, but not always, you get what you pay for. Hopefully what you purchased will fit correctly and last you several years.

I didn't buy it yet. I was asking if that would seem like a reasonable price, cause I can just go to autozone and get one for $200 total. It's gonna be a while before i get a muffler, 3/4th of my income is going to pay for my school tuition, so I basically have no money whatsoever...

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I would say that being a college kid with limited funds, go for the cheapest setup you can find. Most commercial exhausts are sprayed with some oiley greasey goo in order to prevent rusting that will last for 8-10 months at best, and less after you have driven through snow thats been treated with road salts.

A good tip before installing your new exhaust would be to treat it with a degreasing solvent and spray it with 3-4 coats of high-temperature spray paint. As most pipes rust from the inside out, try this on the first 3-4 inches inside of the pipe as well. No matter what you do, your exhaust will eventually rust out, all you are really doing is buying time.

Assuming you have the right tools and a safe set of jackstands and can get the remains of your current pipe off of the catalitic converter (with out damaging the cat) than this is a job that you can do all by yourself. By doing the job yourself you will save money.

HINT: Rust penatrating oil treatments (such as "PB Blaster") when sprayed on heavily in all the areas where there is metal to metal contact the night before you start working on the car (so the oil can soak in and penatrate the affected area) can make a really big difference. In your case it looks like the exhaust is so far gone that most everything should just crumble up in to "dust".

Important caution: Remember to wear goggles, so you don't get rust in your eyes.

all day yesterday and for most of today I was gone a school trip, and when I just got home like an hour ago I found out that my dad went ahead and ordered that exhaust system for me. Heres a link to the ebay store where we got it from, in case anybody else decides that they need a new muffler too. http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1995-1998-Subaru-Legacy-Muffler-Exhaust-System_W0QQitemZ190314888342QQcmdZViewItemQQptZMotors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories?hash=item2c4fa6bc96&_trksid=p4506.m20.l1116

It should be here by either next monday or tuesday, so that will be pretty cool. I'll probably stop by pep-boys tomorrow and pick up some new brake pads and rotors.

Sweet! That's gonna be an easy job for you. If I were you, I wouldn't even bother trying to unbolt all the existing pipes. If they're corroded enough just rip them down and undo the hangers, if they give you any trouble just hack them to pieces with a Sawzall.

The Sawzall is the best tool for exhaust modifications, period. :lol: Want a loud exhaust? All you need is a corded Sawzall, an extension cord, and 10 seconds of your day. Can't tell you how many times I've done that. :lol: I cut the exhaust off my 86 F150 which was still in good shape, then cut all the tubing apart and welded them back together to make a pipe that was just long enough and at the perfect angle to pop ouyt right in front of the rear tire. I welded that up there and put a hanger on it and presto, I had myself a straightpiped side pipe exhaust... For free! Well, not totally free, I used a $6 chrome exhaust tip from Wal-Mart to finish it off..... :lol:

I thought my exhaust sounded pretty cool at first, but now I just can't stand it. It sounds like some crappy rice, and I'm sick of getting dirty looks from everyone, except a few middle-schoolers who told me I had an awesome sounding car :lol:.

I'm just waiting for a cop to pull me over for my loud exhaust, cite me, then realize I don't have my emissions inspection up to date, then cite me again. That would not be a fun day...

Well, today my new exhaust arrived. So, I removed the old muffler, and the intermediate pipe, and while pulling off the intermediate pipe the cat converter fell apart in my hands... I was heart broken. So I packed up the new exhaust, put in the back of my car, and parked the car over in the side of my yard, and there it will sit until I can scrape up some money for a new cat.

After that I got bored, so my dad and I went and seafoamed my parents Ford Explorer. Man, what a difference that stuff makes. If you've never seafoamed your car I really recommend it. So yeah, that what I did today.

Any chance anyone has an extra cat converter sitting around that would fit a 1995 Legacy L wagon? If so, I'm interested if it's under $150.

I have some hi-flow cats sitting around with about 3K on them. I can't see myself using them any time in the near future. They're just the cats themselves though. They aren't pre-fitted/welded in any certain way. I'll get rid of them for $100 a piece if you're interested.
My 9.3 cups EJ22 makes me feel like my **** is 2.8 decimeters!

Yup. Good idea. Especially if they have them. All the Subaru junk yards around here always have the good stuff stripped right away 'cause there are so many Scoober drivers in Colorado. Good luck with the search!
My 9.3 cups EJ22 makes me feel like my **** is 2.8 decimeters!

• 3 weeks later...
Well, I've acquired all the exhaust pieces, got a new cat converter, and a new oxygen sensor. Assembled all the parts, and they're going to get bolted onto the car tomorrow. Can't wait to get my subie back on the road.

Bolted on the bumper today, and took the Car for a ride to the grocery store. It feels so great to be back in my subie after driving my parent's Ford Explorer for the past 2 weeks. Those V6 engines drink gas like a mother...

Archived