LegacyGT.com

Catalytic Converter HELP.

I wouldn't make a new topic for this but there's more to this than just the possibility that my cat is dead.

My car: 2005 Subaru Legacy 2.5i

Here's the story so far:

1. Got a CEL , got the codes read: O2 Sensor bank one p0031 heater circuit low (ignored it for three months because the guy said it was fine to do so... I'm pretty sure he was wrong.). Took it in to my mechanic (not dealer they wanted a LOT more) he said the front O2 sensor was bad, replaced it for $310

2. Code is gone. 1 week later, CEL comes back! read codes and get:

P2096 catalyst fuel trim system too lean bank 1

and

P0420 Catalyst efficiency below threshold bank 1

I'm fairly certain I have to get a new catalytic converter... Is there a universal cat option?

also, if anyone thinks this ISN'T a cat problem tell me.

wow $310 for the front afr sensor installed? That's a $115 dollar part. You literally lift up the front end a little bit, unplug the sensor and pop out two plastic things that hold it to a bracket, and turn a socket. Then reverse order with the new one. Should take 20 minutes, or 2 minutes for Rao. In the process of fixing your car, maybe have a word with your mechanic?
[CENTER][B][I] Front Limited Slip Racing Differentials for the 5EAT now available for $1895 shipped, please inquire for details! [/I][/B][/CENTER]

I am fairly certain it's not a pzev. As for the sensor, yeah I could have done it myself but I didn't know at the time how easy it was(ugh I'm usually good about checking these things). And the part was 187(I checked around too. The dealer wanted even more) then labor was 100 something. Nobody I took it to could tell me if it was front or rear either.

I am fairly certain it's not a pzev. As for the sensor, yeah I could have done it myself but I didn't know at the time how easy it was(ugh I'm usually good about checking these things). And the part was 187(I checked around too. The dealer wanted even more) then labor was 100 something. Nobody I took it to could tell me if it was front or rear either.

Have you given Fred Beans Parts a call yet? Cheap OEM parts, and very helpful. That's where I got my front afr sensor. Maybe a different part #.

You can weld in a universal cat. Just make sure it's not a high flow version.

[CENTER][B][I] Front Limited Slip Racing Differentials for the 5EAT now available for $1895 shipped, please inquire for details! [/I][/B][/CENTER]

Mkay so I have new information.

1. it's my front cat that's gone, this one: oem#: 44659aa00a

2. I took it in to a shop out here that does universal cat installs. They told me there was no way to replace that with a universal one.

so... I think I'm pretty screwed. I'm still trying to find this thing for under 600 though. Anyone know where I could get this used?

Archived