LegacyGT.com

Well, here it comes, the week I've been dreading.

This should be a fun week coming up. The leggy is coming off the road. I have a wishlist of things to fix, but here are the for sures:

1) New clutch! It's been dogging me for about 4 months now and it's starting to really get bad. Contemplating having the flywheel resurfaced. Should I or shouldn't I? Discuss. :lol:

2) New rear main seal. Want to make sure my new clutch isn't going to slip again. :cool:

3) All new motor & tranny mounts. Getting really tired of the clunking whenever I slow down or go in reverse. :eek:

4) Oil change. Just because. :cool:

5) Transmission oil change? Should I? discuss.

6) General tune up. New plug wires, plugs, etc.

7) Find the annoying rattle in the exhaust system and fix. :mad:

8) Right front wheel bearing. It's been squeaking for a while and it's really starting to aggrivate me. :mad:

9) New brake pads. Just because they are squeaking from the wear indicators.

10) Clean the old girl. She's gotten pretty nasty of late. Parking under trees sucks. :mad:

11) Repair some of the ugly rust on her fenders. Just because it's plain old ugly.

12) Get some new hubcaps/mags. Mine are hideous and have lost all their chrome. Anybody got some nice mags in the Vancouver area for cheap? Msg me. :redface:

13) Recharge my air con. It's been 34+ degrees C around here lately and I'm tired of poor man's air con. Time for a recharge. I bought a kit from a local place called princess auto. Anybody used one? Any suggestions? :cool:

14) Try to figure out why every time I go over a bump the front end is clunking. Any suggestions? :mad:

15) Get a good kit of tools in my trunk. After the alternator/battery experience on the side of the trans-canada highway, I'm going to be a little more cautious. :cool:

I'll post pics as I go. Particularly since none of you have seen the white beauty since I put her into service a little over 6 months ago. This is going to be fun. Mainly because I have to do it in a week in the underground of the building that I live in. :eek:

Cheers!

Scott.

Whenever you do work with friction material (brakes, clutch), ALWAYS resurface the metal that it interacts with. If you look at it when the old pads or clutch comes off you will see that it has, however slightly, worn unevenly. When the new material goes on it will be flat, so you have the uneven metal against the flat pad or clutch, which will in turn cause the new material to wear unevenly and cause noise and/or premature failure.

True, generally after one turn on the rotors you should replace. If you keep turning them down they'll just get too thin, heat up, and warp. I've been in tha habit of just replacing rotors without turning, since I'm tired of every vehicle I own having warped rotors. The only car I've ever had that never had a warped rotor is my '86 F150......

The noise could be tie rod ends, ball joints, or sway bar links. Check it out, it shouldn't be too hard once you get under there. You might have to take some things apart to see if you can wiggle rod ends/ball joints and such to locate the noise.

Thats a big list....

First off, whats the year, engine and how many miles?

5) Transmission oil change? Should I? discuss.
I believe this is one of the most over looked fluids on all vehicles. Since most Subarus have a transmission drain plug its not so messy either. If, you do decide to change it, be sure to put a new filter in it too so your work isn't all in vain. They tend to clog up and give subbies the "shudders" on AWD models.

Unless you do a lot of towing, hard work on the transmission, etc. this fluid could last you the rest of the cars life.

14) Try to figure out why every time I go over a bump the front end is clunking. Any suggestions? :mad:
Well, it could be a few things, and even more things since its in the front with suspension and steering. Jack that wheel up, shake at 12 and 6 then again at 3 and 9 (reference to a clock). That should be tight with little to no movement. I had a similar problem, but it was on the rear wheel. When I went over bumps it sounded like sleigh bells (no kidding). After I raised it up, did the shake, looked at the stabilizer link and everything looked good but I was still confused. To make a long story short, my hill-billy sense got the best of me... I toke a 6" (in metrics, probably 200 mm), split on side and put it on that coil spring as a sleeve. I wedged the rubber hose in between the body of the vehicle and the spring to dampen the noise. Its currently being secured on with a little electrical tape too. I know, I know... true hill-billy fashion would of been to use duct tape. Since then I can't hear santa's sleigh. In all of that, I havn't had any weird vibrations or questionable tire wear and everything feels strong and secure. Hope this helps.

I like your ambition. Thats a lot to undertake in one week. Good luck!

It's a 92 legacy, 2.2l, 5 speed only 173,000 km on it. Runs like a top, other than the clutch and the other things mentioned. The only parts I haven't been able to source are the motor & trans mounts. I could get them thru Subaru Richmond, but they have to order them in from Toronto, and the guy on the phone said he had never once sold a set apparently because they never go. And to boot the three mounts would total over $250. I'm going to rip into it and see what they look like and I figure a set from a wreck would do. Anyways, Here's the spread of nice shiny clean new parts :)

1583443306_TheSpread.thumb.jpg.0f32c050f73ec226477a59177999b2c1.jpg

Well, the trials and tribulations have begun. Got the starter off easy, all the electrical, all the struts that hold it to the firewall, clutch cable, etc off. Got the drivers side half-shaft out then the problems began. First, the roll pin that holds the half-shaft to the tranny shattered into a million little pieces. Got that out and all was well, that is until I tried in vain to undo the nut on the wheel side of the shaft. The other side freed off quite nicely and I didn't even have to pry the end of the nut out of the keyway. Passenger side, not so much. The bugger is seized. And I can't even get a screwdriver underneath it to pry it up. And when I tried sheer muscle to loosen it (jumping on the breaker bar) I actually broke the breaker bar. So that was enough for today. Gonna go buy a new, bigger breaker bar tomorrow and try again. I was so ready to see that darned clutch today :( Oh well, there's always tomorrow.

Umm, you know that it should be reverse threaded, right? Otherwise it could loosen itself when you drive forward. :)

Drivers side = Left Loosy, Righty tighty

Passenger side = Righty Loosy, Lefty Tighty

I posted this, then took a shower, during which time I realized that this is mainly only true for front spindles on rear wheel drive vehicles. My bad, I think you're doing it right. I also remembered that both front CV shafts are exactly the same on this car.

Yeah it's probably normally threaded. I've done a few axle jobs, it really is a bitch without an impact gun... if you know anyone with a compressor I'd try and bum it and a gun for the day, or find a place that'll rent one.

Failing that you may want to try soaking it in a spray called PB blaster. I know Home Depot carries it and any similar store should also.

+1

I'm sure you probably already know this if you're doing the kind of work you are, but you can take apart pretty much anything with an impact and a can of PB Blaster.

For anything else that the impact and the PB can't fix... Well, that's why they invented the Sawzall my friends... :lol:

Turns out the breaker bar used was 30+ years old, and had been abused for most of it's life. Surprise, surprise, it broke :p Bought a new one today and a more appropriately sized socket, and it came off first try. After that progress was fairly fast & furious. Got the C.V. shaft out, disconnected the exhaust, removed all the brackets and crossmembers and out came the transmission. Ripped out the clutch to find that my flywheel was crazed from being over-heated by the previous owner. And apparently flywheels for these cars are like hen's teeth. All of my local suppliers couldn't find me one for under 500 bucks, and the only wrecker that deals with japanese stuff charged me 140 for the wrong one out of a 99 outback. Obviously that was a no-go, so now I'm waiting on a phone call to get the one out of a 92 legacy wagon that was still in the car on the lot. No way I was pulling it @ that price. Aside from that, Got the right front wheel bearing replaced today, with new front and rear seals. That was $95 with the machine shop. :( And to boot, we buggered up the threads on the tie-rod end when we pulled it and the cheapest replacement that could be found was $40 plus tax:( Oh well, live and learn. I am however amazed that for an 18 year old car how easily everything has come apart. I've lost minimal skin and it's already all taken apart! Looks like I pick up my flywheel in the morning, and it's all putting stuff back together from there. :cool: I'm going to take a bunch more pics tomorrow, and will upload them soon. The other good news that saved me a few $$$ was the fact that the rear main seal wasn't leaking and appears to still be in good condition. :cool:

Glad to hear things are going (Relatively) easy for you! Too bad about the extra doughski you had to spend, but we all know what happens when ripping apart something good to get at something bad... Suddenly that good part is not so good when you go to put it back on.

Wanna come over my house next and put in a 5 speed tranny? :lol: I can keep the projects coming for you if you like... :lol:

As far as fly/clutch is concerned check the compatibility... I'd think any Subaru 5mt fly/clutch from 1990+ Legacy/Impreza should work - as long as it's correct type - pull or push. AFAIK the tranny is pretty much the same, except it comes in these two types. Both types are easily available for newer cars. 05+ Legacy (incl. GT) is push type, 02-05 WRX is pull type. I think generally NA cars were push type, but I am not a long term Subaru owner, so I am not sure.

EDIT: just looked at the picture and your clutch is push type.

Awesome. The only word to describe the way my car is now. The clutch was nearly as thin as paper when it came out, the flywheel had heat checking all over it, etc,etc. Now it's a thing of beauty. The new to it flywheel was machined this morning and looks as good as new. The new clutch was bolted on in 5 minutes after torquing of the bolts for the flywheel. Transmission was actually relatively easy to get on other than popping off the clutch fork in the process of lifting it in. Slid together on the third try with minimal abuse. Then it was fast and furious. In a grand total of 6 hours my car went from not being useable at all to complete sub for a cotter pin for the ball joint on the drivers side, and a roll pin for the passenger CV shaft.(A bolt and nut are currently used in substitution as I couldn't find the right size. Wrecker one more time!)

Only thing really left to do is adjust the clutch properly. (I was rather grubby and didn't want to touch too much of the interior) It pulls like a tractor out of second gear now. And I got the AC recharged. Cool as a cucumber :):cool: New brakes on the front, new wheel bearing (The squeak is gone! Praise whomever you choose to!), Gear oil change for the tranny, an oil change for the motor, And just for good measure, a new tie rod end. (Mostly because we ruined the other one ripping it out) Still amazed at how smoothly everything went for an 18 year old car. I'm going to upload the pics either tonight or tomorrow. Didn't get a whole lot, but got enough to give the jist. Tomorrow, RUST REMOVAL! Time to make my white car white again. :rolleyes:

Thanks for all the suggestions and help guys. It's been appreciated.

Scott,

If this news isn't already to late for you...

I just replaced my CV joint on my passenger side and I will confirm that it is a conventional thread, righty tighty, lefty loosy.

I did too break a breaker bar...oh the irony. I first tried my electric impact gun (rated at about 150 ft/lbs), that didn't work so I then I used a breaker bar with a 3 ft iron pipe over it for more levearage, then broke it. I used some B'laster and I think that was the trick. Since I didn't have a breaker bar I got it off with a impact wrech after some pb penetration.

I do recommend ether a good impact wrench or a long pipe for leverage and (thats a big "and") a can of pb blaster.

- Good luck

Yeah, it worked out in the end. I bought a new breaker bar and a new socket that fit better. It freed off first time. Drove the car this evening about 50km and it's pretty much flawless. I've gotta get an alignment, and a couple of small pieces, but otherwise everything is fine. The air con is working perfectly now, the wheel bearing is nice and quiet, and the clutch is beautiful. First time I've taken her up a hill in 3rd gear and not had it slip like crazy. I'm learning how to drive standard all over again. No longer do I have to run it up to 5500 rpm in first before I shift to second. Life is wonderful with the legacy once again. Pictures coming tomorrow

Scott.

• 3 months later...
I have never liked white cars, especially because they look horrible when the get dirty, but the fist gen leggy in white just a beautiful car, there is three in town here and it makes me envious, because mine is a '94 Legacy L 2.2 NA 5Spd AWD and it is the light blue, not a horrible color but not the greatest either.

Archived