LegacyGT.com

Warped Rotors??

zvilly

Hi everyone,

I was wondering if someone could give me some insight into this problem. I've read most of the threads here about the issue but haven't found a clear response. So here's the story: I got new OEM rotors w/new pads put on by a dealer (from whom I bought the car) in May and a few months later I noticed that my steering wheel would shake from side to side slightly when I'm braking, it got progressively worse as time went on. I went and got a set of used OEM rotors from a member here (who said that they were straight when he used them) and got them machined and put on yesterday. With the new rotors, I noticed that the problem is even worse, now when I brake on the highways the steering wheel shakes so badly that I can barely hold on to it. Could this be some sort of a suspension problem? The steering only shakes when I brake but the car drives fine otherwise. I'm surprised that the problem got worse as I got machined rotors installed. Could it be my pads? I haven't changed them.

I'm leaning toward getting DBA rotors with Hawk pads..but before I do I want to make sure this is strictly a brake problem. This is a total mystery to me. BTW, I'm not a really aggressive driver and I dont "ride" my brakes or hold them at the light, so I doubt that I'm overheating them.

Any ideas would be appreciated!

Thanks!

yep. warped rotors. I've got a set on right now that are a couple months old and warped. had to purchase a new set.
258k miles - Stock engine/minor suspension upgrades/original shocks/rear struts replaced at 222k/4 passenger side wheel bearings/3 clutches/1 radiator/3 turbos

see here for more info:

http://www.legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=117720

do a search for warp and you'll see plenty of threads pop up. heck, when you made this thread, the forum should've automatically displayed a few results using your thread title as search terms and come back with several relevant threads.

bottom line: stock pads suck, a lot. and you really don't have to get DBA rotors unless you track the car.

Archived