LegacyGT.com

HOLY SH*@!... $1,025 for 60K service!

I guess I am just stumped at the cost of all this. I just did the 30K on my 2007 FJ. Dealership wanted $740. I did it for $250 in my garage.

Just rolled 15K on my 2010 LGT. I was quoted $320 for the 15K service at my dealership. I have purchased everything needed (including a couple of tools I did not have) for ~$120 (that includes switching over to synthetic plus AVO drop filter).

When the time comes, I think I will be doing most of my 60K myself. I know I won't be able to bleed the brake system on my own so I won't mind paying for that. But if I can save a few hundred dollars (and learn about my car at the same time) I am all for it.

BTW, I am not a great mechanic but the dollar motivates me and I did a bang up job on the FJ... I am sure I will do just fine on the LGT.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If you can follow directions and are willing to go to a hardware store to buy a short section of small clear tubing, you can bleed your brakes. You'll need someone to pump the pedal for you or you could buy a hand vac unit like this and do it solo:

[ame=http://www.amazon.com/Mityvac-MV8000-Brake-Bleeding-Kit/dp/B00265M9SS/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&s=automotive&qid=1307460090&sr=8-3]Amazon.com: Mityvac Brake Bleeding Kit: Automotive[/ame]

All I need now is a hill holder and a center passing light...

even 2 hours for plugs is long enough to swap plugs, drink a 6 pack and take a nice long relaxing poo. :lol:

I don't have the best wrench skills and I can swap plugs in less than an hour. :eek:

Is your car a turbo?

-mike

http://www.pbase.com/paisan/image/91072632.jpg http://www.pbase.com/paisan/image/133406601.jpg

AIM: AZP Installs | E-mail: paisan@azpinstalls.com | 725 Fairfield Ave | Kenilworth, NJ 07033 | T-1 Certified Amsoil Dealer

"Race Tested, Enthusiast Approved!"

I have yet to change them. Any "trick" to it?

You will do fine. There is no magic, just take your time. I removed the battery, air box and air assist pump housing. Seriously a few bolts, and a few hose clamps. Coil packs remove easily, just rotate them 180* while pulling them off. It is very apparent how they need to be rotated in order to clear the fender wells. Plugs are easy, use a 5/8 deep dish with rubber gasket, knuckle to a stubby 3/8 in drive. When the socket is on the plug, you will have plenty of room for removal even if you have large hands.

Put anti-seize on the plug threads. To install, just detach the drive and use the socket and knuckle to "start" the plug. No risk of cross threading this way. Tighten 1/4 or 1/2 turn once seated. Coil packs back on, plug them back in and put your car back together. Your car will idle like new again. Looks daunting, but it's not. ;)

Oh, and a thousand bucks for a 60K service is outrageous. That would be a dealer to avoid!

A few notes for DIYers on the plugs:

Be very careful with the plugs to the coil packs. After 60K+ the plastic becomes very brittle and we've seen them shatter pretty easily.

Also anyone near us can get them done for $135 with the NGK OEM Plugs and enjoy some refreshments :)

-mike

• 1 month later...

Archived