LegacyGT.com

need help....skyfi or skyfi2

c-lo

All said and done I might as well buy the skyfi2 for what I've spent on the stuff needed to put my skyfi in the lgt. had to buy fm modulator and mounting bracket. Now have to pay someone (cause I don't feel like it or have time) to install the fm modulator.

my question is this:

1. who has the skyfi2 and how is the reception with the built in fm modulator?

2. anyone have the skyfi or other where you had to install an fm modulator and how is the sound.?

258k miles - Stock engine/minor suspension upgrades/original shocks/rear struts replaced at 222k/4 passenger side wheel bearings/3 clutches/1 radiator/3 turbos

I did the modulator install (and will soon on the Legacy) on a friend's Honda with a Pioneer aftermarket deck. The sound is very nice.. Perhaps if you were stopped and it was very quiet you might notice a little quality degredation, but it's way beyond even the best FM transmitter.. In my experience, all FM transmitters(like the one built into the SkyFi2) have lots of background hiss or static which becomes very apparent when listening to music at a moderate volume. The modulator has none of that.. In addition, the modulator cuts off the antenna when activated so that existing stations don't cut into your music.

The nice thing about the SkyFi2, in addition to the FM transmitter, it has a much better display and recording features. It also fits right in the SkyFi 1 docks.

Be aware that the Legacy uses a non-Motorola antenna connector, and you'll either have to request samples of the parts from Hirose and make your own, or find someone who has already made some (do some searching around here)..

I'm using the Roady2 so I'm not sure how well the transmitter in the SkyFi(2) works. Having said that, the difference between the Roady transmitter and a modulator is night and day. I considered shutting down my service for a while because I couldn't stand the static. After the modulator went in (with an antenna adatper from mvingeau), it sounds as good or better than any of the local FM stations. I even managed to throw a connection in for my mp3 player.

Archived