LegacyGT.com

Rockslide = 2; Rota G-Force = 0

digitator

Headed up to Keystone Friday night with some friends for Beerfest. Ran into a good-sized thunderstorm (no big deal by itself), but it reduced visibility just enough so that as I came out of Eisenhower tunnel @ around 65 mph, I didn't see the minor rockslide until it was too late.

Caught a brick-sized chunk with both driver's side wheels; it immediately flattened the front. A quick tire change in 36-degree rainstorm revealed a good-sized crack (1" split; 5" hairline) along the inside edge of my 17x8 bronze Rota G-Force.

Didn't realize the rear was cracked as well until we got back home. Thank you, Rocky Mountains!

Both tires (OEM RE92's) are fine, but I was planning on replacing them this fall anyway. Luckily, I have an OEM wheel/winter set that I can limp on until I figure out what to replace with - and whether I want to bother with another set of aftermarket rims.

I love my LGT - but I can't help thinking that if I were driving an Outback, that rock would have done little more than spill my coffee. :redface:

wheels01.thumb.jpg.8028147f00b2f6ac9f5b9936569bec5e.jpg

wheels02.thumb.jpg.7e3ba5abd051f3b6d8185cbc8116d463.jpg

wheels03.thumb.jpg.846cc0174f10ef61d5b359ed79de791d.jpg

ouch...sucks. though i doubt driving an OB would have changed your fortune on this one. a boulder is a boulder is a boulder and boulders do not like to be driven over at a high rate of speed.

I love my LGT - but I can't help thinking that if I were driving an Outback, that rock would have done little more than spill my coffee. :redface:

you might be on to something, I went through the tunnel friday night too and my OBXT's wheels are fine ;)

but seriously that sucks, we were through the tunnel about 5/5:30 so I guess it must have gotten worse.

Sorry to see that... but Rotas aren't built for strength... Buy a couple of new ones and the low price of Rotas will be the cost of your style. Oh, and get rid of those RE 92s... ;-)

life in spin cycle.....:spin:

^ agreed. For the price you pay, gotta expect the Rota's to be of lower quality when compared to wheels like Prodrive. I love my Rotas though - but I do brake/swerve for pot-holes, bumps, and possibly a stripper or two.

brian

I decided to go "show over go" and bought a set of '09 spec.b wheels & tires off another local member. I'm going to drop off the old RE92's and cracked rims for recycling, clean up the two remaining Rotas and see if anyone wants them.

And make sure to be more careful when encountering potholes, bumps… and strippers. :)

Archived