LegacyGT.com

Sell me a Subaru Subies ...

V-Power

For all you Subies out there. I've been a long-time Honda owner and am looking for a switch. In my research, I think the LGT has the best to offer under $30K (USD). I like the fact that Subies love their cars and keep them, much like many Honda owners.

Here are my questions:

1) How do you feel about the moderate-to-poor (for Japanese make) resale values.

2) How well do these vehicles last long-term? My '99 Accord 5spd has 110k with no mechanical issues to date ... but that's what Hondas are known for. Not so sure that "reliability" is always synonomous with Subaru.

3) For LGT owner out there, how are you dealing with what appears to be first model year production kinks - clutch stink, studdering, paint quality, check engine/flashing CC light seem to represent most complaints thus far?

4) How are the interior grades holding up in the new Legacy? They finally got it to where it is visually appealing, but they still remain behind the curve.

Thanks ... your opinions are selling points for me when I decide on what to buy.

:confused:

The last two subarus I have owned had over 250,000 miles on original motors and transmissions when I sold them. I don't know much about their resale value becuase by the time they get to 250,000 the resale value is pretty low anyway. They are one of the longest lasting cars on the road. If you want to know how well a car stands the test of time, then just look at all the beat up 15 and 20 year old Subarus out on the road. You won't see many cars out there like that. Subaru, Toyota and Honda have always been the most reliable cars made. You'll never find a subaru driver talk badly about the reliabilty of the car. Subaru is the flagship manufactuer for reliable cars.

The clutch stink issue has gone away on my car. It lasted about 800 miles and then it was gone. I haven't had any other problems other than the super fragile paint. It chips and scratches anytime you look at it wrong. The driver side mirror is kinda warped or something on mine too. Other than that I don't have any complaints.

If you don't feel that the interior is visually appealing, then I challenge you to find a car in the same price range with similar features that is appealing to you. Subaru got it right where it counts in my opinion. Its not a Mercedes or a Lexus, but it doesn't cost like those do either. It has it where it counts and that is what matters.

I have a 99 Accord as well and the LGT is a bit smaller inside than the Accord is. If you are used to having 3 passengers in the back seat then hopefully they are small passengers. You might also have problems with head clearance on the Limited models if you are over 6 foot. I'm pretty tall, but it must all be in my legs because I don't have any issues in the car when I sit in it. My father-in-law is at least as tall as me and he practically has to drive it with the sunroof open. No such problem in the Accord. Also, the back seat doesn't fold down in the Legacy, so you aren't going to be able to pick up a new snowboard or anything with it. There is a center pass through that opens, but it will be very small depending on what you are trying to put in there. The Legacy is no Accord, but it has its own benefits to it.

“Cleanliness becomes more important as godliness becomes more unlikely.”

O C D E T A I L S . C O M

OCDETAILS BLOG

I, too, came from the Honda world. Since I was 16, I've owned 4 Hondas, 1 Acura.

The TL was out of my price range and the subaru had the items I wanted for a great price. Plus it had a turbo. missed having turbo since I had a turbo kit in my former prelude.

1) How do you feel about the moderate-to-poor (for Japanese make) resale values.

The resale actually pretty good, IMO. It is at least as good as my old Toyotas. I've never owned a Honda (probably never will), so I don't really know if Hondas hold their resale higher then average or what.

2) How well do these vehicles last long-term? My '99 Accord 5spd has 110k with no mechanical issues to date ... but that's what Hondas are known for. Not so sure that "reliability" is always synonomous with Subaru.

I've driven one Subaru from 150k to 250k+ and another from 20k to 60k with no mechanical issues. Subaru is easily on par with Toyota and Honda in terms of the "just forget about it" style of maintainence. Mechanical issues may occur, though, if you constanly drop the clutch from 5k RPMs like our wunderkind Impreza drivers :rolleyes:

3) For LGT owner out there, how are you dealing with what appears to be first model year production kinks - clutch stink, studdering, paint quality, check engine/flashing CC light seem to represent most complaints thus far?

Clutch stink isn't a problem for everyone. I personally only experience it when I excessively rev/slip the clutch, like starting on a hill, and the smell goes away quickly. I also bought my car later then most of the people here, so I wonder if Subaru has better clutches now.

Paint quality does leave much to be desired, but if you wash your car semi-regularly (like, once a month) its really not that bad. The paint holds up over time okay (owned a 92 that looked not too much worse then my 93 Corolla). Chips will happen if your area has dirty roads. No worse then other cars, though, when it comes to chips.

The Check engine/flashing CC is not an issue you will see with stock cars. That indicates fuel cut from running an aftermarket ECU with parameters too close to the "serious warning" levels.

4) How are the interior grades holding up in the new Legacy? They finally got it to where it is visually appealing, but they still remain behind the curve.

It is holding up just fine in my car. I never thought Subaru had the best looking interior, but everything was always logically placed and clear and easy to use. I was woried, actually, that Subaru might lose the inherient ease of use after seeing pictures of the new "stylized" interior, but that isn't the case.

Also, the back seat doesn't fold down in the Legacy, so you aren't going to be able to pick up a new snowboard or anything with it. There is a center pass through that opens, but it will be very small depending on what you are trying to put in there.

Actually on the contrary I can fit 2 snowboards with bindings and 2 pair of skis through that center hole... and its not a hard fit either.

This is my first Scooby after owning Honda's all my life. Nothing Honda sells currently has what I was looking for - handling, speed and a modicum of luxury. My fiance had a WRX wagon.....trade value was $2K up on what she owed after two years when we bought the LGT. I'd say that's pretty strong resale.

In regards to the CEL/CC, i do believe quite a few people, though not a large percentage given the total number of owners has had problems with the CEL in a stock LGT. I only had the car for about a month or so before i had to take mine in for a CEL, it turned out to be a faulty purge valve. As far as mods go, still to this date all i have done is removed the orange reflectors from my head light and added HID..ohh yeah, and a dreamcatcher :). Over all, i love this car, i expect that things can go wrong, as long as they are fixed appropriately thats cool. The legacy lacks somewhat in certain areas, but it more than makes up for it in others. I honestly don't believe i could be any happier with any other car for under 30K than i am with the LGT. My suggestion is when you go shopping for a car, go in with a blank slate as to what you are expecting from the car, and try to avoid one way comparisons, this will help you evaluate the car more fairly and give a chance to really see what the car has to offer, instead of what it doesn't have.

I'm not sure what the basis is for you comment about less resale value than other Japanese cars. I have an 01 Forester S (4.5 years old) that is holding 73% of its orig purchase price and sells for about 80-85% of its OPP locally. That's above or on par with the highest retail prices of same vintage Japanes cars.

The real difference is the AWD. People are moving to AWD in droves and Subaru has it. Combine that with the 4th highest reliablity rating for 2004 vehicles in JD Powers and I think Subaru is doing great in holding their value and perpetuating their reliablity record.

WRT your questions,

1) Answered above

2) Thousands of miles with no problems on Subarus that I've bought and maintained since new. I had one head gasket issue on a used Sube that I bought but it probably was just a bad gasket and let go.

I've been driving them since the mid 70s and they have never let me down. Typically run like a swiss watch with a boxer burble which you'll never hear from a Honda, Toyota or Nissan. :) Bottom line is if you maintain them well, they last forevar!

3) Had one significant case of clutch stink in 3500 miles. None since at ~800 miles. No studding, paint quality is great, check engine/flashing CC, etc. Essentially, no problems at all other than a wagging issue with alignment.

4) I tend to take good care of my interiors and expect these to last at least past the 150K mile point similar to the other Japanese cars that I've owned.

Hope this helps in your decision matrix.

SBT

- Pro amore Dei et patriam et populum -

to add onto the reliability

my 91 legacy wagon had 210000 miles before i put it to rest.

When i put it to rest the only thing wrong with it was that it needed new clutch (hey after 210K miles a new clutch is not a big deal) and new axles.

I still feel bad about letting it go since i was emotionally attached to it, but then again it was time the boxer 4 found its way onto some 2-seater plane. The engine was in top shape. Just to compare my 92 accord with 130k miles used to drink a quart every 4-5K miles but the legacy....no oil drinking at all

I kept it washed and clean and it had minimal rust.

I changed timing belt and cam seals(not because they were bad but because since the mechanic was changing the belt and the cam seals were right there, it was a wise preventative decision) at 100K and that was the biggest maintenance i ever did.

Went thro 2 sets of tires. 1st michelin then i grew wise and went yokos

and went thro 4 front axles (the axles were my own doing-on my own rally course on gravel back-roads and all those donuts in the snow and sand LOL)

My only complain with the old car was that the heater/blower fan was kinda lacking in power so the inside took a few minutes to get toasty warm...but that was a 91 model and subaru has addressed that since.

This turbo 4 awd sedan is a blast and i'm yet to get stg 1 AP. Best bang for ur buck!!!no doubt!!!

I come from a family that has owned every possible kind of Subaru. From the early 80's to current. Never once had a major mechanical issue with any of them. Never thought I'd own one till the leggy GT came out. Very impressed with the added features and finally some good power in something bigger than the WRX. I Couldn't be happier. I've also got an 87 DL wagon with over 100K with push button 4wd, still works awesome(and it's a freaking animal in the snow.)

(knocking on wood) Extremely reliable cars!

bad things first:

i for one is not too fund about the quality.....it appears to have good materials and worksmanship....but it started to squeak and rattle after my second month ownership.....the body penal is not perfectly aligned right from the first day i got my car...and it's already a late production car (2005/1)...interior is small , about the size of the 2-generation-old accord....(i actually like the size of the car though cause i'm not huge).....overall quality of the fit and finish is just not on par with the standard....clutch pedal sqeaks, rear seat rattles.....center console piece squeaks.......and it's just a 2 month old car....even a bolt is missing from my engine cover....right from the factory........is it because it's american made?...i don't know....

All that being said, when you started the engine, looking at those dash needles' full sweep, and off you go.............working the shifter, listen to the turbo swirl and push you into the seat, enters a corner hard with dirt on the road and feel that AWD take control of the situation, and exit the corner really fast and flat with the dirt trail behind you ........you'll forget about everything said above......and with a big :D on your face....

the decision is up to you:cool:

Archived