LegacyGT.com

Life of AVO drop-in

fishbone

If you buy a stock/OEM air filter from an auto parts store like Pep Boys or Salvo or whatever will it be a filter made by the same manufacturer that supplies the dealerships their "genuine subaru part" air filter? If not, will it be the same quality or just some random brand? Is it better to get them from the dealer?

Hanslo

Actually what i'm more interested in is the amount of air flow. I have an Accessport and the OTS stage2 map is apparently very sensitive to changes in intake and A/F mix. The recommendation is to stay with stock intake - filter and all. Right now I have a K&N panel filter but I want to go back to stock so I can flash stage2. Is the purolator equavalent to the stock air filter or is it a higher flow like the AVO and K&N?

Thanks,

Hanslo

It looks like things have changed for the later year LGTs (07+). This is some of what Christian at CobbTuning wrote in the What's Cobb cooking up thread.

Originally Posted by Christian. http://legacygt.com/forums/skynetim/buttons/viewpost.gif

...The newer intakes are particularly sensitive to intake modifications. Even drop-in filters allow the cars to run much leaner than desired. Installing any hardware not supported by an OTS map will likely require a custom tune...

...Running even a drop-in filter with the newer, larger Subaru intakes requires a tune IMO...

And this is his response to my question about my K&N filter.

...The ECU won't be able to understand how far off the open-loop (WOT) fueling is due to the increased airflow, but it can compensate for closed-loop (idle and light throttle) situations.

This is why I was planning on changing back to a stock filter.

Hanslo

That doesn't make any sense to me, since the MAF sensor is behind the air filter. The MAF sensor is what is calculating the amount of air going into the engine, right? So if the filter flows more air, the MAF sensor will recognize that and the ECU will adjust the fueling accordingly, yes?

It shouldn't matter at all what happens before the MAF sensor when you are running a stock intake.

Seek first to understand, then to be understood.

In other words: SEARCH before you post!

That doesn't make any sense to me, since the MAF sensor is behind the air filter. The MAF sensor is what is calculating the amount of air going into the engine, right? So if the filter flows more air, the MAF sensor will recognize that and the ECU will adjust the fueling accordingly, yes?

It shouldn't matter at all what happens before the MAF sensor when you are running a stock intake.

Was just about to say the same thing. As long as the MAF sensor is calibrated (which it should be regardless of what type of filter you stick in the stock air box), it shouldn't result in running lean

You can run even a K&N, as long as it is a panel filter inside the stock airbox and not a CAI, you will be fine.

Fishbone, I've got a K&N filter in the garage I'd let you check out if you want to. I bought it back in 05 and used it for a few months before I put my AEM CAI on. You could install it and see if it makes any difference for ya. I also found that 15psi actuator for the VF40 too. Get ahold of me and we'll figure out a time to get together and work something out.

Let's kick this pig!

Awesome! I'll be busy for the next few week-ends because I'm working on rebuilding the retaining wall between my neighbor and I and it's a monster project. There are over 400 blocks that each weigh in at around 80lb. We're mostly done but after the contractors come in to set up the french drains, we have to put our fence back up. I'll keep you in the loop and we'll see. I'd like to drive up there in the Mini S and have you guys check it out :)

Archived