LegacyGT.com

The ride is flawed in the wagon

From : [url]http://www.usatoday.com/money/autos/reviews/healey/2004-06-03-subarus_x.htm[/url] The ride is flawed in the wagon— bouncy, as if the rear shock absorbers were worn. Though less evident with a load or brood aboard, it never goes away. If you hit an undulation in midcorner, where the suspension's already taxed, you get side-to-side pitch, as well. This one I will let gtguy put his head on the block :lol: , no you did such a good job of sorting out the WRX Wagons that I trust your analysis totally. Any thoughts?

Sedans are superior and seem to be the fix. :P Seriously though, perhaps the rear is underdamped/undersprung? This wouldn't make sense however, since they seemed to have done a good job with the WRX wagon. Intresting how the bounciness decreses with load...

No, no, no. People, read the article as to what was tested. The only GT tested was a sedan. The only wagons tested were Outbacks. I would suspect the Outback and Legacy GT (and 2.5i for that matter) suspension tunings will differ just a bit. So don't go reading too much into comments about "the wagon." It's more and OB vs GT thing.

I did notice that in the after market coils offered in Japan there is a differance in rate between the Sedan and the Wagon as was the case with the WRX. I am curious to know if we know the US dampening rates. This is what Prova offers: RATE(kg/mm) HEIGHT(mm LEGACY BL F=4.35 R=6.7 F=-25 R=-20 LEGACY BP F=4.35 R=6.5 F=-25 R=-20 Why would the Wagon have a lower dampening rate?

[quote name='Drift Monkey']Sedans are superior seems to be fix. :P [/quote] Your posts are getting shorter and less ledgible. :lol: ...for a second there I was worried. No matter what happens I am getting my wagon. I would think that the Outback might have been designed for load. Also the difference in subtle suspension geometry will add some undesired effect methinks.

What racerdave said. ^ ^ I'm sure the ride oddness has something to do with the OB's ride height. The other thing they aren't clear about is if it happened on both OBs, or just the XT, or what? Generally, it's difficult to tune a suspension to do all things well, at the Outback's price point. So I admit to not being surprised about those ride issues. The GT wagon shouldn't be any different from the sedan, handling-wise. Everyone who has driven both says there is scant difference. The Outback struts have a lot of travel, judging from the off-roading pictures we're seeing, and the spring rates can't be all that high, or the rough stuff would suck. So if the strut is already "taxed" I presume they mean "compressed," it's easy to see how negative handling artifacts could rear their heads. Then again, it's odd that USA Today is getting things that nobody else has mentioned, even the hooligans at Car & Driver, so who knows? It's much of why the only review you should really trust is your own. Kevin

Based on the reports of the lucky few that got to go to Vegas and drive the GT sedan and wagon back-to-back, they were not able to tell the difference between the two. I think Subie Gal was one person who made that comment. Ken

Mr. Healey needs to lay off the crack pipe. :wink: I ran the Outback XT through a few decent corners and didn't notice anything disturbing from the suspension. Nothing that one wouldn't expect from a vehicle with somewhat increased suspension travel. It felt quite stable and had only a hint of understeer.

The one thing they might be frowning on for handling is the OB's seemingness to have wider more bloated tires on what I'd call narrow rims for what they're using. Similar thing on FXT and I felt a bit of a wallow which I'd say is mostly tires by feel.

[quote name='Dr. Zevil']Your posts are getting shorter and less ledgible. :lol: ...for a second there I was worried. No matter what happens I am getting my wagon. I would think that the Outback might have been designed for load. Also the difference in subtle suspension geometry will add some undesired effect methinks.[/quote] Yeah. I fixed it. :oops:

[quote name='ha-evolution'][quote name='racerdave']But he's still a tool. :D[/quote] [img]http://forums.s2ki.com/forums/images/smilies/iagree.gif[/img] [img]http://forums.s2ki.com/forums/images/smilies/drivingskid.gif[/img][/quote] I saw the latter today from a new Dodge 1-Ton Diesel Dually with about 350hp and 700+lbs of torque (not on the highest performance setting either. ;))

Archived