LegacyGT.com

Noise in front Suspension

Have you put a lower control arm brace on? If so it needs to be retorqued. That is what my metal to metal sound was.
**There are two types of people in the world, those who build horsepower and those who buy it. Which one are you?

I had taken my '08 2.5i in for this, among other noises, and pressed until they sent a rep from Subaru (my 08 was full of powertrain & noise issues). They claimed it was power steering hoses knocking together and this was normal. My '09 3.0R has this knocking noise this as well. My 06 2.5i did not- it was silky smooth. So the general consensus is that it's normal. That said, I still think Subaru should have done more to correct it.

• 4 months later...

Its the steering rack bushings. You can get new poly bushings here. http://www.fredbeansparts.com/index.php/whiteline-steering-rack-bushing-kit.html.

I had an 06 outback years ago and had them check this noise. They said it was normal like the rest of yyou all. Now i have an 05 legacy gt. I just replaced the lca bushings yesterday and now this steering noise is really loud. I just found those steering rack bushings and know that has to be it. Think about it guys. Hat noise only happens when turning the wheel. Has to be he steering rack bushings just being shitty soft rubber just like the lca bushings.

My clunk started a couple month ago, noticed a clunk when making a right slow speed turn. Lubed the sway bar bushings (stock), no change and checked endlinks, LCA's. Got worse to the point of feeling like a bad strut on the left.

Just looked at the strut, which was fine, but it turned out that the left (drivers side) strut nut was loose to the point that I could unscrew it with almost no torque. Ooops. Tightened it up, went for a drive, loose feeling is gone. Need to check the torque specs and get it snugged up proper, but it fine for now.

AFAIK, the suspension is stock, but maybe the previous owner had lowering springs at one point....? Or maybe it just loosened up on it's own.

IMHO, I don't believe there's any such thing as a "normal subaru clunk". It's a very basic strut type suspension, and should operate smoothly as long as the parts are good and installed properly.

My clunk started a couple month ago, noticed a clunk when making a right slow speed turn. Lubed the sway bar bushings (stock), no change and checked endlinks, LCA's. Got worse to the point of feeling like a bad strut on the left.

Just looked at the strut, which was fine, but it turned out that the left (drivers side) strut nut was loose to the point that I could unscrew it with almost no torque. Ooops. Tightened it up, went for a drive, loose feeling is gone. Need to check the torque specs and get it snugged up proper, but it fine for now.

AFAIK, the suspension is stock, but maybe the previous owner had lowering springs at one point....? Or maybe it just loosened up on it's own.

IMHO, I don't believe there's any such thing as a "normal subaru clunk". It's a very basic strut type suspension, and should operate smoothly as long as the parts are good and installed properly.

Check out my post above yours. While it's not good you had this problem, I'm glad that someone else has had the issue as well. I'm the first and only owner of my vehicle and my suspension is completely stock. So it is possible that yours just loosened up on its own, like mine seemed to do. I'm glad you got it figured out as well. It's funny, the first place I checked was the endlinks as well.

Check out my post above yours. While it's not good you had this problem, I'm glad that someone else has had the issue as well. I'm the first and only owner of my vehicle and my suspension is completely stock. So it is possible that yours just loosened up on its own, like mine seemed to do. I'm glad you got it figured out as well. It's funny, the first place I checked was the endlinks as well.

I also have a 2008 spec.b.........interesting. Mine is torqued to possibly 25lb-ft right now, should be 41 lb-ft.

One thing that can cause noise that I encountered is the front springs grinding against the lower cup on the struts. Normally the springs are placed in a plastic ring separating the spring from the cup but for me that ring broke or moved away for some reason - end result annoying noise.

Solved by some motorcycle chain lube.

453747.png

• 2 years later...
wanted to bump this thread, my stock 05 lgt wagon has a similar clunk in the rt front. also happens when downshifting in a straight line. any type of added pressure on the front end causes the clunk. sounds like a strut issue to me but, wanted to grab a few more opinions.

I agree with ehsnils. I have had this clunk in the front ever since I put my rallitek springs in. They clunk in the lower spring cup when I turn the wheel at low speed or when parked. One thing I did that helped the problem a little was to pull the springs and put shrink sleeve on the bottom coil. Helps it grab in the bottom cup better and they dont clunk so much.

• 9 months later...

wanted to chime in here quick although the thread seems dead...

my 05 leg GT has had a clunk/crunch issue for over a year now... replaced, end links, bushings, LCA, power steering pump, steering rack, tie rods and top hats. Last thing to replace is ball joints (although they don't look like they're failing). all struts seems to be in decent condition as well, although original equipment (car has 96k).

crunch/clunk sound happens on turning at very low speeds only over uneven pavement (cracked pavement)... mostly at zero throttle (coasting). it is felt through the steering column to the steering wheel.

thoughts?

Has anyone tried replacing struts to remedy this? My '09 3.0R had this noise, exactly as most descriptions..low speed, uneven pavement, no throttle, turning. Sounds like most everything has been tried to fix it. I've wondered if maybe it's a bad batch of defective struts. If I had not traded my car in June 2014, I would have changed them next. Fyi, my car always had the clunk noise from day one with 0 miles. Subaru could never diagnose it. My '06 2.5 did not do it. My '08 2.5 did it just as my '09 3.0R.

i dont' know what the symptoms of a failing center/front differential would be.. my axles have not been replaced and i'm checking on the CV joints...

batonrouge: i have not replaced the struts... they're original. however i did come across a few posts pointing at loose strut mounts or worn out strut bearings... going to mention these to mechanic.

Archived