LegacyGT.com

looking for some help finding a problem

today when i went to start my 97 legacy gt it started to make a loud sqeeling that seemed like it might be a belt rubbing but i checked and none of the belts were rubbing or broken. i asked someone at a auto store and they said it might be the water pump going bad. while driving it the sqeel is present untill around 1500rpm and comes back at around 3000rpm and ive read it could also be the oil pump which is a common problem with that year models. after eating dinner and going to start the car again the noise was gone completely and the car acted fine driving where as before it acted like it had no power what so ever. any suggestions as to what the problem could be?

Could it just be the alternator belt slipping, causing the squealing? That could also be the reason for the loss of power. Replace the belt, and be sure there is enough tension on the belt.

Just because a belt looks good doesn't mean that it isn't slipping. The tension is critical.

But if you had power loss I would check things like vacuum hoses and possibly wastegate/BOV.

It's a 97.

But like he said, OP make sure the belts are tight. Put your finger on the belts and push them. They should not move more then a 1/4 to 3/8".

Obviously you don't know what your looking for, take it to a mechanic and pay the man before something bad happens.

If you want to learn how to fix it yourself, your going to need tools. Buy a set of Craftsman tools from Sears, spend about $150.00 and you should be set for a while until you need a jack and jackstands.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

checked the belts and their all tight couldn't see it last night but realized today whats going on. the plastic cover over the timing belt got pushed back about 1/4 in. towards the engine and the belts rubbing through and pushed a piece of the cover against the front pully making the noise. no fraying on the belt yet taking it tomorrow to hopefully get the cover set back in the correct place before the timing belt goes

That may mean that you have a tensioner for the camshaft belt that needs to be replaced.

I would suggest a complete timing belt replacement and also replace the tensioner as well as inspect all sprockets for damage.

453747.png

Archived