LegacyGT.com

What Irks me!!

mvigneau

<rant on>

You know what really irks me. I just saw a commercial for a Hyundai Tucson. It starts at $17,999 and guess what. It comes with a:

MP3 CD Player!!!!!!!! I am still amazed that Subaru couldn't include this option on our cars when it is the identical radio to the Outback VDC!!

<rant off>

Guest *Jedimaster*
Not like our stock stereo's sound good enough to tell anyways... :)

I like the sound, but I'm easily satisfied with audio systems.

I like the sound, but I'm easily satisfied with audio systems.

And yet you think mp3s sound like crap? You aren't still listening to Celine Dion tracks you snagged off napster back in the day are you!? Cuz agread, those would be lacking in the quality department. Personally I find the quality of properly made mp3s acceptable, and worth it if you can fit a dozen or so albums on a single CD!

.o0O0o.

I agree with ellivnad.

They match the quality of the stock system. I don't have a multi-thousand dollar system in this vehicle and therefore don't notice the quality degradation of MP3s. Anyways, if you rip them correctly, they sound alright.

192K is the lowest that I will rip them which basically cuts off anything about 19KHz which is close to what the human ear can hear.

MP3's sound compressed and tinny. Even the superior AAC format has this issue unless you choose the 'lossless' algorithm. Whether or not the LGT system can reveal these limitations is a moot point right now. With no MP3 capability or AUX input, how can anyone try it out? :rolleyes:

There are alot of cheaper cars the have amenities like steering wheel controls, mp3 and nav. Take the car as a whole and it's still represents a pretty good bargain especially when you pay below invoice, like me. In my car music is pretty much background music for the drive, and the more music at my disposal the better, that's why I like mp3's. I love listening to "Eye of the tiger" when I'm dodging SUV's in the morning or "Swing low sweet chariot" on the ride home from work.

Guest *Jedimaster*
And yet you think mp3s sound like crap? You aren't still listening to Celine Dion tracks you snagged off napster back in the day are you!? Cuz agread, those would be lacking in the quality department. Personally I find the quality of properly made mp3s acceptable, and worth it if you can fit a dozen or so albums on a single CD!

YOu should PM 2.5GTguy- he is an audiologist. :D

Guest *Jedimaster*

Count me as one too. My brother is a sound engineer and he says this is very apparent to him as well.

BTW, he also claims that the "brown note" exists, for those who have seen the Mythbusters episode of late.

I agree with ellivnad.

They match the quality of the stock system. I don't have a multi-thousand dollar system in this vehicle and therefore don't notice the quality degradation of MP3s. Anyways, if you rip them correctly, they sound alright.

192K is the lowest that I will rip them which basically cuts off anything about 19KHz which is close to what the human ear can hear.

ouch... I have always heard 192 is LOW .. 320 vbr for me all the way... but I haven't listened to an mp3 in a long time.

i may start more now since radio in my area recently turned to SUCK.

since the only way currently to do ipod, etc is fm transmitter, you can't tell the difference anyway

Guest *Jedimaster*
:offtopic: but enlighten me anyways. "brown note"?

It's not off-topic. The brown note is a legendary frequency that makes the human body release the contents of the bowels. We were tlaking about sound, after all.

Archived