LegacyGT.com

2.5i vs GT

Damein

I've been doing research on the legacy for about a week now and I think I need the opinions of the minds on this forum more so than technical specs. I'm selling my bike to free up moneys, trying to sell the blazer to purchase this vehicle.

I've never owned a Subie, my brother had a 2001 RS that I was able to drive only a handful of times before he sold it. I loved the way the car 'stuck' to the road, the vehicle had great acceleration and was just a blast to drive.

I was at first looking at the 2.5 because it seems dependable, great gas mileage, only 97/mo full coverage with State Farms Ins. I haven't test driven one yet because I know I'll want to take it home when I do. On the other hand though, I'm selling my 'fun vehicle', the bike in order to free up more money for the monthly payment, which is making me consider purchasing the GT because of the turbo and the Ins is only 103/mo.... so in a nutshell... what made you decide to purchase the GT over the standard I?

About an extra hundred horsepower did it for me. The styling is nice, but they are features I could have gotten anywhere. My choice was between the Acura TSX and the 2.5GT. If I wanted just AWD then I would have bought an older Legacy or something and saved some money. The whole draw on this car was the luxury and the power. The 2.5 is nice, but the 2.5GT is teh nicer. :D

“Cleanliness becomes more important as godliness becomes more unlikely.”

O C D E T A I L S . C O M

OCDETAILS BLOG

I was thinking of getting an i cause of the cheaper price but my brother urged me to get the turbo cause of the extra power and knew I would regret it later. And not to mention the big smile it put on my face when I test drove the GT. I already own a 02 Forester so I know how a 2.5L.

haha, I talked to my brother last Tuesday about the turbo, The I is the sensible vehicle but he told me I should get the GT because I was giving up my bike for it, so why not spoil myself. My only concern is being able to actually afford the GT, not that I can't swing it, but I also have to plan a wedding for next year (and the fiance is already looking at houses) :eek:

I'd get the 2.5 without the turbo. I made the mistake of getting the GT Ltd with manual transmission. From the first day it scared me. I don't know what I was thinking...just blasting onto a freeway doing 90, and then shifting into 5th gear for some triple digit fun- its enough to give you night sweats. Coming off the freeway was even more frightening....downshifting from 5th, to 4th, to 3rd and then hammering the throttle and tacking up to 6K and feeling that turbo kick in and whine. Oh, and the Toyo Proxes tires grabbing the road as you lay on the power and kick it back to 4th as you exit the turn, only to be doing 90 again as you accelerate out of the turn. Its really sick. um, I mean scary. I'll probably pull an ignition wire tomarrow so that I don't have so many cylinders firing. Somebody help me! I'm shaking all over!

LOL, at first I thought you were serious and my only retort was... I have a gsxr 750 and that sounds like fun... but now that I see the total sarcasm, I can call you friend :lol:

If you are concerned about the money factor then here is some info to consider. Most of the people who have posted their lease rates on a GT are in the $400 per month area. Some a little less and some a little more. If you are planning on purchasing it then it depends on your credit and your down payment. I had about $4000 or so to put down in the form of a trade-in as well as good credit, so I financed around $26,000 at 2.9% for a total of $440 for 63 months. Your rates may vary, but I figured that is info you probably want to consider. If you can afford the GT then by all means get it.

If you are quoted an insurance rate of $108 per month for a GT as a single guy, then just wait till you get married and the rate drops even further. I got married when I was younger than 25 and my insurance dropped by 70%. When I turned 25 it dropped a whole dollar per month. The big drop in rates is when you get married. No age milestone can equal the rate drop when going from single to married. Get a quote as if you were married and you'll see what I mean.

Something else to consider, speaking of credit, is whether or not you want to be getting a car this close to buying a house. I worked in the credit repair industry for a long time and I can't count how many times I have seen people qualify for a house and then over extend their credit before they closed only to lose the house because they no longer qualify. You might want to wait till the big purchase is out of the way before you tap out your credit with little things like cars. Just a thought. If the wedding isn't for another year then it probably won't matter too much in the long run. If you are going to be buying a house before then, then it might be something to think about.

OCDETAILS BLOG

Looks like you are getting some good input here, although it is kind weighted towards the GT(no suprise).

If faster is better for you, the GT is a no brainer.

Would the GT hold it's resale value better than the 2.5i? Would this matter to you?

Best of luck with the car, the house and the wife (put them in the order of your own choice!).

Very good information, thank you very much, those were numbers that will help me greatly in my decision. I don't think I'll be purchasing for atleast 3-4 months depending on what I plan to do with the Blazer. And the 'wife' knows we aren't going to be looking for a house atleast for 2 more years... she just likes to look. :rolleyes: Which of course is fine, but she just doesn't understand that now is not the time. I'm trying to get my 'ducks in a row' as they say.

As of this moment I'm paying 553/mo for vehicle payments and 150/mo in Ins for my bike/blazer. I've been hooked on Subies since my brothers car. I was looking into 2000-01 RS models before I considered the Legacy, but they are too hard to find at a good price/relative mileage. I'm currently 30 and am looking for that one car that will last me for a loooong time. I've finally 'outgrown' my desire for trucks/suvs. Gas prices are crazy and my lil piggie doesn't seem to want to get more than 14 mpg which is crazy. Glad I live close to work. :) I do agree with you though, you should never purchase something that makes you hate it in the long run. I'm torn between the sensibilities of the I, but being that I'm 'new' to the whole subie/car scene, I'm trying to get as much info as possible, even if it is a lil biased towards the GT.

One other thing to consider is children. I don't know if you have or plan on having some, but they are EXPENSIVE. Not just durable goods (crib, furniture) but all the food, diapers, etc. Just something to consider, since it sounds like you're approaching a major crossroads in your life (marriage, selling off of "toys", house in near future).

I agree with not purchasing something that you might regret later, but don't let the excitement of the turboheads (myself included) in this forum sway you too much. After all, postings on an internet forum might as well be voices in your head. In the end, you have your future wife, maybe kids to answer to. Get what makes sense in the long run. Discuss it with your fiancee.

Good luck in your purchase, and let us know what you get!

D

Of course we are biased towards the GT. Check out the name of the site. ;) If you want bias towards the non-GT then I'm sure there is another board that they are all hanging out on.

OCDETAILS BLOG

I'm in the same boat: 2.5i, GT, or TSX.

Ultimately - I think it'll be the 2.5i. For the money you can't beat the value. If you're worried about styling there is always aftermarket stuff that you can put on it (rims etc.). I'm a younger guy (25) and want something fun but it has to be safe and practial as well. I drive far to work and want to be safe and comfortable.... I'm in stop and go traffic all day everyday - no point in buying a turbo engine (or WRX for that matter) if I never get above 60km/h. :cool:

Same boat here....I'm trading in my 04 WRX for a 2.5i limited cuz i miss the luxury stuff (leather, moon roof, auto...:D)....ya i'm gonna miss the boost, but I'll be in some leather :)...and ya....I'm still gonna hang out here cuz it's teh whinnar :) thanks for all advices!
In Taiwan now...:spin:

My fiancee (sp?) is currently still in school and doesn't quite have her professional job (not that she truly knows what she is going to do either) She just got accepted as an intern at the sanitation department for public relations, so hopefully she'll be able to get on down there (one of her friends works there as well). I'm currently in the transition of either staying where I work for life (restaurant manager) or becoming a police officer for a local city (currently in-processing), I'm also a vol firefighter for my city...oh, and she wants to live and be married for 2 yrs before we have children... Guess thats some background for ya. Once my wife graduates from college, she is planning on buying the...Legacy Wagon (she fell in love with it when i went to get a brochure on the Legacy) She knows I don't want the wagon for myself, and would like for me to get the model which I like. I'm leaning towards the GT for the standard equipment that comes on it, not just the turbo. Mirror/turnsignals, windshield wiper/de-icers, ... uhm, the turbo :D since I've never had one, and for the plain fact that it is indeed a Subie. coming from a 4x4 blazer, awd is a must for me for the winter.

Also, being that I like those features, a GT is only around 1k more than the Ltd I that I would 'have' to buy to get those features.

/edit Oh, I don't 'want' leather, I have a puppy that likes to take rides to the park with me and she has the sharpest claws (even cut ones)

One thing to consider ... if you're looking to buy a house within the next 6-12 months, don't finance a car now. Wait until after you get into the house.

I'm in the same situation. I'm in the process of having a house buil now, so I have to wait until after April to get my LGT.

The 'Limited' isn't a name for the non-GT. Limited models have the leather and sunroof and the adjustable seat. You can get a 2.5 limited without the GT if you want it. Considering the extras you get for a Limited GT compared to an unlimted 2.5i (Leather, turbo, sunroof, mirror signals, fog lights, turbo, adjustable seats, turbo, styling [ie hood scoop for the intercooler because it has a turbo]) I'd say the extra $7300 seems like a reasonable price difference on the GT Ltd. Even with the non GT limited version there is only a $4000 difference. I think Subaru obviously wants more GTs on the road than the 2.5i. If they wanted it the other way around then they would have made more of a price difference between the two.

OCDETAILS BLOG

I agree with OCDetails. To me there isn't enough of a price difference between the 2.5i Limited and the GT. If you're spending that amount of money, you might as well buy the GT.

IMO, if you don't need a lot of amenities, the base 2.5i is a great deal. I had a lot of amenties on my Volvo S40 and never used them so my wife and I saved money and bought the base 2.5i. I do miss the multi-disc CD changer though. The 2.5i isn't as slow as people make it out to be. It's the same engine as the Impreza RS. It's perfectly fine for a daily driver.

the 2.5i is surprisingly peppy. good for quick point and shoots in town. and it takes 89 octane! that surely gotta count for something these days! :)

89? not 87 octane? I drove the 2.5i and fell in love with it... now it's time to negotiate:D

In Taiwan now...:spin:

Sorry if what I said was confusing... What I meant was that for the price of the 2.5i Ltd, I could just upgrade to the GT. I'm not really crazy about leather at this time (have a puppy)

I hate to say it, but i'm in love with the hood scoop on the GT. I guess I just need to go out and test drive one and see what I think to the power plant in the 2.5i. All of this information has been great guys. I plan on talking to the fiancee here shortly to address the situation more 'responsibly' She has a friend who is a realator and he called her up when he heard she was looking at houses again to give me sympathy since she knows we aren't looking for atleast another year... haha, isn't that nice.

I thought I'd add my 2 cents worth to this discussion (my first post too). I had exactly the same dilema about 2 weeks ago. It actually took me 2 weeks to decide. Since I'm from New Zealand our Legacy's are slightly differend for standard stuff but it came down to one thing for me...the comfort level. And the funny thing was that I've ended up with the 2.5i not the GT. Sure the GT has a SHITLOAD of power compared to the 2.5 but I found I was more comfortable in the 2.5i. And I thrashed the pants of them both when testing. I think the sales dude nearly pissed himself! Pretty sure he was a bit of a whimp though because I didn't even get close to the cars' limits.

My advice: ignore the power, ignore the extra's and go with what actually feels right. I have no regrets at all. To use the power you really pay for it in fuel costs.

Just my opinion. Good luck

Archived