LegacyGT.com

Sleeper Car Slippin Like A B!tch

funkdok

I recently bought a 1991 legacy turbo 5spd. My first subbie. The previous owner installed/did the following:

-enclosed block 2.2 bored out to 2.4

-replaced all exhaust valves and lapped injectors

-04' WRX turbo

-06' WRX top mount intercooler

-excedy clutch

-Manual boost controller (@11psi)

-Turbo back exhaust venting to atmosphere

-Aluminum headers

-Aluminum pistons

-HKS bov

-boost gague

All of these additions have around 5,000 miles.

The problem I am having is that the engine/clutch slips when driven hard in top gears. 1st and 2nd pull strong, but I drive like my grandfather above that.

I find it hard to believe that this racing clutch is already busted, but I cant think of any other causes. If you guys have any suggestions for the slipping, or any other mods that might help my performance, please let me know

Thanks

That is strange. Is the pedal assembly attached right? Not sure if it has a cable or a hydraulic clutch, but if it's a cable make sure the clutch is actually out all the way when you're foot is off the pedal. It could be that whoever installed the clutch did not do so correctly, but it's hard to tell without removing the clutch.

In any case, you should sell me the car and get a new one..... I'll let you know how it all turns out. :lol:;)

I doubt I will be doing that any time soon. Ill have to look at the clutch to see if that is the case. Either way, I didnt pay much for the car so I may just drive it like a jackass until the turbo detonates. Then you can buy it from me. You would like it

You might also want to bleed the clutch if it's a hydraulic clutch. That might cause unexpected behavior from the clutch as well.

I'll still buy that with a blown turbo, Hell I'd even buy it if the turbo throws impeller chunks into the engine. Seriously, let me know if you ever want to get rid of it... I call first dibs! :)

Got any pics?

I dont have a digital camera. Its pearl white with very limited body damage for how old it is. A few hundred bucks and it would look brand spankin new. I need to get in touch with the previous owner to get details about the mods he did (clutch type etc..) If i can get a friends camera ill throw some pics up for ya. All the excitement is under the hood; like i said its a real sleeper. Thanks for the suggestions Plat

-enclosed block 2.2 bored out to 2.4 I hope you mean closed deck

-replaced all exhaust valves and lapped injectors Injectors don't get lapped

-Turbo back exhaust venting to atmosphere where else would you vent your exhaust?

-Aluminum headers No you don't

-Aluminum pistons so are the stock ones

did you make this list, or was that the list from the seller? In either case, one or both of you are clueless and that would pretty much explain the condition of the clutch.... it probably wasn't installed properly or isn't the proper clutch for that transmision.

(Updated 8/22/17)

2005 Outback FMT

Running on Electrons

Archived