LegacyGT.com

What does the rest of the world think?

I know what the feeling is about the Legacy in this forum, but what is the rest of the world saying about it? I was considering a TSX before the Legacy, so I still lurk through the TSX forums. Most of you have probably already seen this. [url]http://www.acura-tsx.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=8605[/url]

Acura people are the people who I care LEAST about what they think. They are the snobs who think that they are better than the rest, but aren't wealthy enough to buy the BMW that they always wanted.. ok, maybe that's a generalization. But this thread on that other forum is typical of the US perception of Subaru.

[quote name='Dr. Zevil']Acura people are the people who I care LEAST about what they think. They are the snobs who think that they are better than the rest, but aren't wealthy enough to buy the BMW that they always wanted.. ok, maybe that's a generalization. But this thread on that other forum is typical of the US perception of Subaru.[/quote] Come on Zevil! You are better than that! You should have seem how much worse they dissed other cars!

[quote name='Bananaairsoft'][quote name='Dr. Zevil']Acura people are the people who I care LEAST about what they think. They are the snobs who think that they are better than the rest, but aren't wealthy enough to buy the BMW that they always wanted.. ok, maybe that's a generalization. But this thread on that other forum is typical of the US perception of Subaru.[/quote] Come on Zevil! You are better than that! You should have seem how much worse they dissed other cars![/quote] I know.. I should have been the kinder and gentler Zevil. All considering, you are correct. At least there were a few good responses. The new TL is nice.. but the styling really looks like they tried too hard to create sporty lines. kinda looks like it has too much body cladding or something. Also the front resembles a new model bonneville. They will love to hear that :lol: ok, ok.. they are nice cars though.

I've seen threads like that before. The public for the most part hasn't changed their perception of Subaru 'Reliable, Cheap, and built to stay that way'. Everyone bench races it or guestimates it, but few actually drive it. I think the truth is in the drive as C&D seemed to have even enjoyed the OBXT and I'm sure will have a much better time with the GT. I'd have paid another $500 no problem for a Quaife/Helical front diff additional to the 2 other viscous LSDs. :D

[quote name='outahere']LMAO!! Some of these people were complaining about the shift knob being too skinny. It was skinny because the knob had been removed, and they mistook the shifter rod for the knob. Geniuses![/quote] I signed up on that forum "arucalt" just to point out that fact to those geniuses.

[quote name='SoldonSubie']They better get used to seeing those Camry like tail lights.....[/quote] [img]http://www.we-todd-did-racing.com/wetoddimage.wtdr/wNDIyMDM2NnM0MTNkZmQzMXk1NDE%3D.jpg[/img] [img]http://www.carpartswholesale.com/images/products_small/3121938RAS.JPG[/img]

[quote name='SUBE555']Mmm, all the better sleeper. That doesn't mention that though they may be similar, the Leg tails look much more classy and downright, BETTER! :D[/quote] I still don't get this "sleeper" ideal that is so sought after? What if the whole car looked like a Camry? How fun would that really be? :?

The fun is in the car, not looking at it. The STi is lots of fun, but everybody wants to take you at the lights. Every time I ride with my bud in his STi (he's almost twice my age), and kids and ricers just want to race him at every light. It gets very old very fast. It's already a magnet for cops, others doing all sorts of obnoxious burnouts and stuff at stoplights is just inviting trouble to you and you don't have much to do with it. Definition of a sleeper is that is has the power to go with little show. Like that K-car that rips off 10-second quarter miles like nobody's business. Nobody really thinks about it for the most part, but boy does it suprise the hell out of a LOT of people. That's what a sleeper is, a wolf in sheeps clothing. That is one reason I am so attracted to the new car, yes it is so powerful, but it's not attracting everyone like the STi, 350Z, EVO and others.

[quote name='Dr. Zevil'] The new TL is nice.. but the styling really looks like they tried too hard to create sporty lines. kinda looks like it has too much body cladding or something. Also the front resembles a new model bonneville. They will love to hear that :lol: ok, ok.. they are nice cars though.[/quote] Doc, to me it completely reminds me of a 4-door Mustang GT; front lights are similar shape, tail lights are very similar, even the wheels are similar. The same angular, over styled body work, too. Hey, FWIW, the guys on the G35 forum I also surf have been very complimentary to the Legacy, even stating that it will be a very serious contender performance wise, and likely whoop up on the G with minimal mods. Some of the dudes over there are in the same boat as me, sedan shopping, and are torn between the Leg GT and the G35 sedan.

And replaced with a 2.5i badge? I'll keep my 2.5GT badge as most people won't really think much about it and don't know what it means (until they get owned. Then they'll ask if it's a new WRX. :lol:)

[quote name='SUBE555']The fun is in the car, not looking at it. The STi is lots of fun, but everybody wants to take you at the lights. Every time I ride with my bud in his STi (he's almost twice my age), and kids and ricers just want to race him at every light. It gets very old very fast. It's already a magnet for cops, others doing all sorts of obnoxious burnouts and stuff at stoplights is just inviting trouble to you and you don't have much to do with it. Definition of a sleeper is that is has the power to go with little show. Like that K-car that rips off 10-second quarter miles like nobody's business. Nobody really thinks about it for the most part, but boy does it suprise the hell out of a LOT of people. That's what a sleeper is, a wolf in sheeps clothing. That is one reason I am so attracted to the new car, yes it is so powerful, but it's not attracting everyone like the STi, 350Z, EVO and others.[/quote] What's the problem? People trying to race you? Don't race them? Ignore teh ricers. I did in the WRX, and never really had a problem with it. If you wanted a real sleeper, why don't you get something old and beat up and drop a large displacment motor in it? No one would suspect that... :roll: It's not that I want people to think my car is slow, it's that I find no joy in others underestimating my vehicle.

[quote name='SUBE555']The fun is in the car, not looking at it. The STi is lots of fun, but everybody wants to take you at the lights. Every time I ride with my bud in his STi (he's almost twice my age), and kids and ricers just want to race him at every light. It gets very old very fast. It's already a magnet for cops, others doing all sorts of obnoxious burnouts and stuff at stoplights is just inviting trouble to you and you don't have much to do with it. Definition of a sleeper is that is has the power to go with little show. Like that K-car that rips off 10-second quarter miles like nobody's business. Nobody really thinks about it for the most part, but boy does it suprise the hell out of a LOT of people. That's what a sleeper is, a wolf in sheeps clothing. That is one reason I am so attracted to the new car, yes it is so powerful, but it's not attracting everyone like the STi, 350Z, EVO and others.[/quote] I couldn't have agreed more with you.. the same thing happened with my WRX when I got it in 2001. Everyone wanted a piece! I will probably debadge the car except for the 2.5GT emblem as well. I would like to keep the back clean, I wish I would have debadged the WRX right when I got it, but I waited so I was worried about paint fade. Edit: I don't want my car to look slow.. I just don't want it to attract too much attention. That's all! Hence, a sleeper.

Thanks Zevil, I don't think Drift Monkey gets it. Drift Monkey, you could sit very idle at stop lights and do nothing and people will drop clutches in their old beat up Hondas and such and do it almost in front of cops too, it's completely stupid and unprovoked other than by the looks of the car. You don't have to do anything but others seem to want a 'challenge' in very unsafe circumstances. That is a big thing that is important. Unsuspecting can be fast but it doesn't show it, others pick up on the showy end and that's what we're trying to avoid. Doesn't matter if you want to race an STi, many ricers will draw more attention to you than your car will by itself.

If stupid people act stupid because they think my car is this or that, I say LET THEM. As long as I'm doing nothing wrong in my own vehicle, I don't care what drivers around me are doing. Let them get the ticket! I get the concept of a sleeper, I just don't think the Legacy is much of one. A sleeper to me is something no one would even give a second thought to. If I saw a new Legacy rolling down the street, I WOULD give a second thought into it, and with all the publicity is has gotten/will get, it's sure to make alot of people think twice.

A lot of people still wouldn't think of it. Most people aren't enthusiasts like us. I've been to a couple of other general car forums and many people uneducated about the car think the new GT is no better than a Camry or Accord. :cool: And in my town, if a mr Johnny Law thinks you're involved in street racing because the other guy was doing and it and thinking you were prevoking him, you get the ticket or whatever punishment they deemed necessary as well.

Archived