LegacyGT.com

2005 Subaru Legacy 40 MPG on freeway

yes, you really do have to baby the car. you have to hypermile it in order to get 40 mpg. that means putting it in neutral going down hills, dont break hard, dont launch the car when the light turns green. i mean you really have to watch how you drive. but you can get up to 40 mpg. ive als read that putting a lil acetone in your gas tank can improve your mileage up to 30%, but im can weary about that. any of you guys heard of this?

Funny story I tired this added some 104 Octane Boost fouled all my plugs :lol: dammit to hell. I think while our cars call for 87 the ECU likes higher octane. ive gotten up to the mid thirties on level interstate without draft help from trucks or other vehicles. Shtbxr has a similar thread that discusses this similar topic and I posted up my numbers I think with a shot of the read out it est 520 per/tank but math yielded about 440.

One thing i notice and you amy as well is that different brands of gas seem to yield higher or lower numbers BP gives me the highest Shell second and the rest all fall into the same. I can fill up with 14gallons of BP it will say 510 till empty Shell 490 other btwn 460-470. So You may want to theorize additives???

But im an idiot so why did I write all that :eek:

been there done that. I easily get in the low 30's and sometimes in the mid 30's in my 08' with a 4eat. It all comes down to control. I guess it also depends on what part of the country you live. weather, road conditions, hills etc. The best I ever received on the east coast was 34.7mpg. the computer said 36 something or other. I did the math with the fill up and bam.

been there done that. I easily get in the low 30's and sometimes in the mid 30's in my 08' with a 4eat. It all comes down to control. I guess it also depends on what part of the country you live. weather, road conditions, hills etc. The best I ever received on the east coast was 34.7mpg. the computer said 36 something or other. I did the math with the fill up and bam.

Are you thatch raking or hydro-jecting or cutting sod ?? Reminded me of high school days and the Golf course

I would have liked the 5EAT, but Subaru didn't see fit to offer it without making you buy the fuel guzzling, maintenance intensive turbo. So, I'll live the the 4EAT and the 32 mpg I consistently get on the highway (with regular gas)!

Archived