LegacyGT.com

Switching from a Maxima to a Legacy...

nrb1225

Hey everyone,

I currently drive a 1997 Nissan Maxima SE, but the time has come for me to start looking for a new car. The new Maximas are way too big for me. It seems that the Altima is more similar to the size of my Maxima, but I'm not a huge fan of the styling of the Altima. When I went to the Philly Auto Show last month, the new Subaru Legacy GT really caught my eye. I love the style of the car, and it's about the perfect size for me. I'm only 20 years old, so I don't need a huge car, but I do like having the 4 doors. My only concern is that I'm going to be going to the 4-cyl engine from the Maxima's V-6, although, the Legacy is turbocharged and has more horsepower than my Maxima (which has 190hp stock). I haven't test drove the Legacy yet since I won't be able to buy a new car until the summer and I don't want to get too excited about it. As a member of the Maxima.org forums, I knew that the best place to get information is a forum, so I searched and found LegacyGT.com. So, has anyone here switched to a Legacy from a Maxima or a similar car with a V-6? If so, what are you thoughts or opinions of the Legacy compared with the V-6? Also, how is Subaru's reliability compared to Nissan's? They are both Japanese brands, correct?

Thanks,

-Nick

So, has anyone here switched to a Legacy from a Maxima or a similar car with a V-6? If so, what are you thoughts or opinions of the Legacy compared with the V-6? Also, how is Subaru's reliability compared to Nissan's? They are both Japanese brands, correct?

Thanks,

-Nick

Welcome Nick.

I don't know if I fit the category of owner you posed this question to, but here's my two cents worth. Last month I switched from a 300 hp 5 cylinder 2004 Volvo S60 R to a 2005 Subaru Outback 3.0R.

Are you aware the Legacy and Outback are available in a six cylinder model? I'm not suggesting that it is better than the 2.5 turbo 4 cylinder, but if you want smmoth six cylinder engine, it is an option. Horsepower is the same as with the turbo, but torque is down 31 lb ft--319 vs. 250).

As far as reliability is concerned, a Subaru should be just as reliable as your Nissan--and much better than my Volvo, I hope. If you choose a model with the 5 speed automatic transmission, I believe this is the same transmission installed in the new Maxima.

So far, I love my car. It's not as sporty as the S60 R was, but it's solid, comfortable and capable.

Good luck in your car shopping efforts.

Kevin

I was aware that there is a 6-cyl model available, but I thought it was only on the Outback, not the Legacy? Correct me if I'm wrong.

Anyways, the Legacy 2.5 GT-Limited 5MT is the model that I am interested in.

Thanks for your help!

-Nick

Nick,

Welcome to Legacy GT land. You've landed sqaure in the middle of everything Legacy GT and Outback, particularly the 4th Generation Subaru Legacy.

Having previously owned a new Maxima SE 5MT, with 190HP DOHC mill, the similarities between the two (Maxima SE and LGT) are very noticeable.

Both have deep torque reserves off-idle, both accelerate like scalded cats and both cruise at triple digit speeds very easily. Where they differ, IMO, is their handling, out of the box. I found the Maxima to be difficult to hold a line through a turn, that it floated more than necessary, had too much torque to the front wheels and didn't brake well enough for my tastes, especially with a 3800 lb car or more if fully loaded.

Mine was equipped with a front LSD which helped some, but the fact still remains that you have a differential that is sitting closer to one side of the car and that means long and short drive shafts. Unequal length drive shafts, equal unequal twist delivered and that means torque steer.

With the exception of the torque steer, you could dial out much of the other complaints with infusions of suspension and brake tuning.

You have none of these complaints with the LGT. It is an out-of-the-box sports car or wagon. For 99% of the Subaru population, it's good enough as is. For those who want to dial-in a bit more power or handling, or even braking, upgrades are relatively easy, and generate quick returns, particularly in the power department. It's just not your run-of-the-mill vehicle, in the early stages of its life cycle, so aftermarket support is slowly coming on.

Go test drive the Altimate 3.5L V6 and then drive the LGT 2.5T and you'll know immediately why the LGT wins hands down. They'll have to pry the steering wheel from your hands. :lol:

Just a couple of quick thoughts

SBT

- Pro amore Dei et patriam et populum -

As far as numbers go I think you'll be a little surprised about the acceleration in the LGT. A 97 Maxima does 0-60 in over 7 seconds (manual) and the 1/4 mile in almost 16 seconds. This is substantially slower than the LGT, particularly in manual. Therefore I wouldn't worry about the 4 vs 6cyl thing in this case. I really don't think the two cars are comparable in any performance category, so I don't think you'll be disappointed.

Thank you for your comments! This is exactly what I was looking for. I definately agree with you on the handling aspect of the Maxima. I have added some upgrades to my Maxima (Front Strut Tower Brace, Rear Anti-Sway Bar, Lowering Springs, Firmer Shocks, Bigger/Wider Wheels) and I still think the handling could be better. Basically, I'm looking for a car that looks good, accelerates good, and handles good from the factory, and I think the Subaru Legacy GT is that car. I really don't want to modify my next car... I want to pick it up from the dealer and enjoy it instead of spend thousands of dollars on parts like I did with the Maxima.

Thanks for all your help!

-Nick

I don't think you will notice too much a difference. You will most likely learn a slightly different style of driving once switching though. Either way, the LGT is faster than that Max in any occasion, as long as you are in the right gear.

I agree with the not wanting to spend money on parts and stuff, however, I am feeling the bug as i suppose you will after you get it and realize how much more can be done.

Nick - As for reliability (since you asked), the April 2005 issue of Consumer Reports reports that Subaru was "The most reliable 2004 brand overall" and lists it 4th in 2005 New-Car Reliability, trailing only Scion, Lexus, and Toyota (and Scion's rating, which was #1, was based on only one car model). In contrast, CR rates Nissan 19th in 2005 New Car Reliability (p. 18). Additionally, the 04 Legacy had ratings of "much better than average" (the highest reliability rating) in all "trouble spot areas" with the exception of "body integrity" which was rated as "better than average"(p. 92).

Hope that helps.

Cheers,

05 SWP Legacy GT Limited (aka "Pearl")- 5MT AP - Stage 2 Protuned (238/284) - wife driven

07 BMW 335xi

Nick,

I sold my '99 Maxima SE 5-speed with Summer Rubber and a rear sway bar for my LGT Limited 5-speed wagon. The only problem with the Maxima is it's too nose heavy. The car would always plow in the turns. The balance can not be corrected with mods, but can be reduced slightly.

The Subaru is totally different. It will actually over steer! It is a very fun car to drive. The power is much greater. I have the wagon, so it has the very large sunroof that I love.

The Maxima was a great car, very reliable. I expect the same with Subaru.

Get out and drive a GT, you will love it.

You'll love the balance of the LGT and don't let the "4" cylinder fool you--it has great torque and power (there is a spool up but hardly noticeable and not an issue IMHO). If you've been in a FWD (front wh dr) for a long time, there's nothing like the joy of AWD--like getting the best of all worlds--some oversteer if you want it, great drift characteristics, incredible traction, etc. Nothing like stomping on the gas from a dead start when it's wet outside and taking off like a rocket.

As people noted, it's very balalance and handles well out of the box. The car whips around great and is not nose heavy at all. Also you have none of the annoying torque steer, etc. Also, how cool to have all that and be able to blaze through the snow.

I had a 97 Maxima; it was stolen and I switched to a 2000 Maxima. I now have a 2005 Legacy GT Ltd. All 3 cars are manuals.

I love the Legacy, it is every bit the equal of the Maxima. I only wish it had a Nav system--the Maxima is available with a Nav.

The Subie is AWD, better looking, frameless windows, smaller/zippier.

Thank you everyone for your help! This is exactly the information I was looking for. I'm probably going to be buying a new car in the summer, so the Legacy GT is at the top of my list now.

cricket, maybe the 2006 model will have Navigation?

the LGT is heads and toes better than the current Nissan sedan offerings in terms of overall driving dynamics. After all both the Maxima and the Altima shares a platform with a minivan and an SUV. It just won't work with handling performance no matter how you dice it. And in terms of mods, the LGT is easy.

The only thing that the nissan cars have going is the smooth VQ35. Once you step up to an AWD LGT, u'd wonder why you haven't done so sooner.

I'm in a similar situation. I have an '00 Maxima SE, which I really like. I'm toying with getting a new car, and the Limited GT is very appealing. I am not a fan of the new Maxima design, and the Altima is too cheap inside, and has some serious issues with torque steer to the point that driving a manual and pushing it hard was scary.

The performance of the Legacy is up there with the BMW 330x series awd, but at a fraction of the cost. Time will tell if I pull the trigger on this.

nick, i am in the exact same situation as you. drive a 97' maxima SE 5MT (.org member - massmaxima97), and I amd looking for AWD. I have looked at everything that offers AWD and nothing in this price range can compare with the 05 LGT. There are some better performance cars in the WRX & EVO, but none have the room that the LGT does. I have tested driven the LGT 5MT & Altima, and found it the LGT to be much better than the altima and 97 maxima that I drive. need anymore info you know where to find me.

I came from 96 infiniti I30t.

When I switched I noticed with Legacy I get:

no torque steer

less understeer (I enjoy oversteering legacy when I want to )

less bloated (except for tires :( )

more power and torque

less amenities than infinity (homelink missing, can be fitted from VDC Outback)

About same internal space as 96 model I30

Unmesurable advantage in snow(first car I looking forward to drive in white stuff)

worse treatment in service dpt. (compairing to infiniti, but I don't get to visit often )

If you or anyone else ever decide to Legacy GT I'd recomend changing tires either right away or after learning car's limits. In second option you'll be in for big surprise.

Had a 95 Maxima Se 5 speed new, and had a 99 auto new. Both were cloth. Nice enough car but the styling is bland and the interior is cheesy-plasticky. The only reason I bought the five speed back in 95 was because it was almost a full second quicker to 60 at 6.6 seconds.

Handling and everything else IMO are no comparison to the lgt. I don't care how much you wanted to tune up the platform of that car, to me it is a waste. It cant handle it.

Much different with lgt -unlimited or limited. Don't waste brain time with the (honarable) v6 of Nissan and think other engines (like boxer engines which 911 Porsches have) are lesser. If anything the boxer engineering and layout from head to toe that you get in this all wheel drive vehicle blow away Nissans Maxima.

Unless advertising in Popular Mechanics this is all hidden underneath the "Gentlemens STI" spin for this vehicle. The Maxima and many other vehicles are simply passenger cars marketed to some emotional aspect of driving more based on image appeal versus real driving pleasure.

You will find the answer once you drive one.

This is not my beautiful car.

• 2 weeks later...

Hey guys,

I thought I'd bring this thread back up because I have another question comparing the Maxima with the Legacy. In doing research on the Legacy, my new concern is Subaru's resale value. How does the resale value of the Legacy compare with the resale value on the Maxima?

My plan for the Legacy is to keep it for about 3-4 years, so I want it to still be worth something when I'm ready to sell it. I heard that the Subaru resale value is not so good, so I figured I would come to you and get your opinions.

Thanks,

-Nick

The Legacy will be worth at least 70% of its orginal purchase price in 3 years, perhaps a bit more. My 2001 Forester, at 4 years still held 68% of its original purchase price. I haven't checked on Maximas lately but I believe they are somewhat less than that... ~55-58%. And with the massive upswing in AWD as a "Must Have" option, your Subaru will keep its value better than just about any other AWD on the market because it's built first and foremost as an AWD vehicle.

Just MHO.

SBT

- Pro amore Dei et patriam et populum -

last year traded my '01 Maxima 20th Anniversary Edition Maxima for the Legacy GT Lmt Sedan.

Better on the Maxima: Interior Imentities..tons better than the LGT.....great 6 cylinder also....and MUCH better brakes....and Japanese made....all around good car

Better on the Lgt: AWD drivetrain....even with the 4-cylinder...

out of my 37 new vehicles I have bought, I rate the LGT an average car with above average drivetrain....

The Legacy will be worth at least 70% of its orginal purchase price in 3 years, perhaps a bit more. My 2001 Forester, at 4 years still held 68% of its original purchase price. I haven't checked on Maximas lately but I believe they are somewhat less than that... ~55-58%. And with the massive upswing in AWD as a "Must Have" option, your Subaru will keep its value better than just about any other AWD on the market because it's built first and foremost as an AWD vehicle.

Just MHO.

SBT

The only thing is....that most people are buying the new LGTs at or below invoice....so it's a tradeoff.....this car is not worth much on the used market apparently.....

The only thing is....that most people are buying the new LGTs at or below invoice....so it's a tradeoff.....this car is not worth much on the used market apparently.....

More accurately, at the moment the used car market stinks as a whole. With purchase incentives and promo rates from the manufacturers, lots of new GeeWhiz stuff on new cars and not-great rates for used cars, unless you have a special car it's SLOW to sell used privately. Now of course, note lots (CreditCars et al) will always do well because they're providing wheels to the financial bottom-feeders, but most people who can afford to buy a low-mileage 2-yr-old car can also afford to buy a new car at a lower interest rate and don't have to sell THEIR car on the used market, and the soft economy leads lots of dealers to offer below-invoice prices (like I got yesterday on my LGT wagon) to move the cars off their lots.

As much fun as they are to drive, LGTs aren't BMWs. The only time your neighbor will be impressed with your LGT is if they're some sort of geek like me who can appreciate the actual qualities of the car, or when you blow their doors off when THEY thought they were driving fast. Many of the cars that command MSRP do so for sheer lust over capability. Before the BMW crowd starts howling, most BMWs are quite capable and fun to drive, they're just overpriced and maintenance nightmares, and I'd rather use a paper map that live with horrid i-Drive.

DKB

Archived