LegacyGT.com

Knock sensor - need help

uniqsol

I bought my 96 Legacy L wagon this past spring for my winter car. About a week ago I took a turn fairly fast (for a wagon) and the check engine light came on. I took it to Autozone and had them do a test that came back "Knock sensor". Thinking that maybe the sharp turn gave my sensor a bad reading I looked under the dash to see if there is reset button. I found a few wire harnesses that aren't connected to anything. Two green ones and a black one. Also, should I try to disconnect the battery for an hour and see if the light comes back on?

Is there only one Knock Sensor on these cars? Is it difficult to replace?

Thanks...Boxer noob.:rolleyes:

Those green and black wires put the car into diagnostic mode. They're supposed to be unconnected. The knock sensor is right underneath the intake manifold, if you have small hands you can get at it but for most it's easiest to take the manifold off to replace it. Make sure you put new gaskets on all the parts you take off, shouldn't be too hard of a job though.

Check the wire connections if possible. A loose connector could cause this. For the most part if all is working as it should then taking turns too fast shouldn't matter.

Also, unhooking the battery for a minute or two would do the exact same thing as 2 hours. A cars ECU consumes a little extra electricity to remember CEL codes than a clock radio that might remember time for a little while after it's unplugged.

Good luck! :)

Instead of waiting forever after disconnecting the battery, I've found that turning the key on and/or stepping on the brake pedal for about 30 seconds almost always works. The PCM has capacitors in it that can supply the KAM with enough power to retain its memory for several hours. Either turning on the key or hitting the brake pedal will discharge the capacitors very quickly.

A knock sensor CEL comes and goes. It really doesn't HURT driving the car with that code, but it's best to fix it so your engine will perform as it should. It's like a $30 part at a auto part store, and only involves one bolt to remove it. Something that easy you should just replace.

Archived