LegacyGT.com

MBC? Need to upgrade stock BC?

subaruski

don't get a MBC get a EBCS. I have a prodrive but, the from what I here the perrin and grimspeed are just as good. Why would you get boost spike? What turbo are you running? What is your boost target?
Racer X FMIC for '05-'09 LGTs, '08+ WRX and '10+ LGT,'14+ FXT, and '15+ WRX TMIC Racerxengineering.com

don't get a MBC get a EBCS. I have a prodrive but, the from what I here the perrin and grimspeed are just as good. Why would you get boost spike? What turbo are you running? What is your boost target?

shoot, stock turbo. i didnt really think a boost controller would be need, but thats what the tuner said. as far as boost target? idk 18psi?

I was able to hit 18.5 psi with a stock turbo ,fmic, and prodrive ebcs. I got the ebcs to reduce wastegate duty cycles not to control spikes.
Racer X FMIC for '05-'09 LGTs, '08+ WRX and '10+ LGT,'14+ FXT, and '15+ WRX TMIC Racerxengineering.com

When a tuner says to you that you need a MBC on the stock VF40 or similar sized turbo he is really saying: "I don't know how or I am too lazy to tune the factory boost system correctly and therefore boost control will suck once I'm done fvcking it up for you."

There are plenty of people that know how to tune the factory system to provide awesome boost threshold, response and rock steady boost control. I suggest you seek one of these people out over the person you are currently thinking about using.

Here are Pros and Cons for a MBC used with a small turbo:

PRO:

1. Cheap, but you already have a very capable boost control system that you paid for when you purchased your car. Why spend money twice?

2. Easy to dial in boost setting. Even a monkey can turn a knob.

Cons:

1. Completely defeats the ECUs ability to limit boost in the event of bad gas, mechanical failure etc.

2. Completely disables the ECUs ability to adjust boost targets for atmospheric changes. I hope you don't travel in the mountains much.

3. Does not allow the boost request to taper off like the factory EBCS. If you want 18 psi at boost onset, then that is what is dialed in. Unfortunately that is what is dialed in from boost onset all the way through the rev band. The small VF40 will never be able produce 18 psi up at redline. It will be asked to, but it would be lucky to do 12-13 psi at redline and at that point it is well outside the range of reasonable abdiabatic efficiency. You will make more power running less than choke flow-limited boost in the upper RPMs.

4. Drivability sucks. You must be careful to avoid partial throttle/full boost situations that can make the car buck and jerk.

When a tuner says to you that you need a MBC on the stock VF40 or similar sized turbo he is really saying: "I don't know how or I am too lazy to tune the factory boost system correctly and therefore boost control will suck once I'm done fvcking it up for you."

There are plenty of people that know how to tune the factory system to provide awesome boost threshold, response and rock steady boost control. I suggest you seek one of these people out over the person you are currently thinking about using.

Here are Pros and Cons for a MBC used with a small turbo:

PRO:

1. Cheap, but you already have a very capable boost control system that you paid for when you purchased your car. Why spend money twice?

2. Easy to dial in boost setting. Even a monkey can turn a knob.

Cons:

1. Completely defeats the ECUs ability to limit boost in the event of bad gas, mechanical failure etc.

2. Completely disables the ECUs ability to adjust boost targets for atmospheric changes. I hope you don't travel in the mountains much.

3. Does not allow the boost request to taper off like the factory EBCS. If you want 18 psi at boost onset, then that is what is dialed in. Unfortunately that is what is dialed in from boost onset all the way through the rev band. The small VF40 will never be able produce 18 psi up at redline. It will be asked to, but it would be lucky to do 12-13 psi at redline and at that point it is well outside the range of reasonable abdiabatic efficiency. You will make more power running less than choke flow-limited boost in the upper RPMs.

4. Drivability sucks. You must be careful to avoid partial throttle/full boost situations that can make the car buck and jerk.

Yeah only turner I could find in all of Las Vegas valley. One of the disadvantages of living in the middle of the freaking desert.

Archived