LegacyGT.com

1993 Legacy

93EJ

Hey guys, i recently purchased a 93 Legacy and i was looking into turbocharging the motor do you guys recommend any kind of turbo i should get, or where i could find a turbo that would work on my 2.2

Thanks Spb

It's not recommended to turbo a car with high mileage, as you're likely to blow a head gasket or piston rings. If you rebuilt the motor, the EJ22 would be a mean little mill to drop a turbo in. If you decide to rebuild the engine, you could get a turbo kit from a, EJ22T turbo car of the same year, but you might as well get a used EJ22T off Ebay so you get the whole drop in package complete with low compression pistons.

Then I would suggest getting a turbo intake manifold, turbo exhaust manifolds and all related piping from a junkyard. Clean 'em up real good and make everything look nice, then buy a New Or Remanufactured Turbo rather than using a used one. Who knows what the bearings look like inside a used junkyard turbo, for all you know it could be blown and have tons of endplay. You wouldn't want to risk using a bad turbo only to have it put metal chunks in your engine. You can remove your old head gaskets and send them out to have low compression versions made fairly cheap. Don't use your stock gaskets, as they will either leak or put great stress on the 16 year old piston rings. You could also get an intercooler if it suits your taste/budget on eBay really cheap. I wouldn't go too wild with expensive parts since the car is 16 years old, and buying proprietary parts means that if something should happen and the car is toast, you're stuck with a several thousand dollar turbo setup on a car with a blown engine.

Archived