LegacyGT.com

Slow leak

Nsaglibene

So I have no clue how this happend, but it happend about two weeks ago, there is a cut in my side wall resulting in a very slow leak. I have been driving on it for a week or so, just checking my tire pressure regularly and putting air in it if I need to. But what do you think I should or can do? I could keep riding on it for a week or so and buy a new tire, or is it possible to patch sidewall damage? Well money is tight, but still I would feel more comfortable buying a new tire in a week or so, but could I get it patched until than?

-NS

In my experience, I wouldn't let the sidewall leak continue because the flexing in/around that tear will eventually lead to complete tire failure... how long before failure is anyone's guess, but don't chance it any longer than necessary.

If it's in the sidewall, than an adequate patch is highly unlikely due to the load dynamics that the sidewall must endure. How many miles on your current tires? If you have less than 1000 miles on the tires, then I'd suggest getting a new tire to replace it or one of the low mileage tires in the "for sale by member" forum.

Otherwise, look at getting a whole new set for all four.

If you've driven them very lightly (and they have over 1000 miles but say, less than 2,500 miles), and you've got great alignment and manage the air pressures weekly, you may be okay to get a new replacement tire. I have 3,500 miles on mine and I would not replace just one tire at this stage and I'm really anal about tire pressures. These tires are too soft...

Here's the thing about AWD Subarus and that is that there should be no more than 1/4" of rotational difference between the front rear and side to side. Quote from Subuar website regarding replacing tires...

"All of the tires on your AWD Subaru must be within 1/4 of an inch of rolling circumference (part that touches the road). This is because of our All Wheel Drive System."

Hope that answers you question(s)

SBT

- Pro amore Dei et patriam et populum -

NS - I would strongly encourage you to put on your spare tire and plan on replacing the bad one. Dale is right - that is an accident waiting to happen if the cut is deep enough to cause a slow leak.

Damn, this sucks. I have a bit over 2000 miles on the car, and Im real good about the tire pressures. Im not sure about replaceing just one, but if I get a set of new tires, I wouldent bother with anything but azenis( I have zeix). Thats gonna take me a long time to get the money(Im 17). Damn im confused, thanks for the advice tho.

-NS

Just get that one tire replaced.. you might be able to still get the road-warranty with it if you go back to the tire shop and bargain with them about it.. better replacing a tire than to replace the whole car after the tire gives up while you are driving and wrecking it.

Keefe

Keefe

Heh, 3 mods answering.. I think that means something NS.. trust us, we know.. I think I am the youngest of the three mods here responding (I'm 25).. so yea, your parents should know that a tire waiting to blow is a bad thing.. just let them know about it and I am sure they can help you out on a temporary loan on the one tire.

Keefe

Keefe

Just make sure the it's the same tire, not just the same size. Different tires have different outside diameters once they're mounted up so thought you might want to know that too. In other words, if you're replacing an RE92 215-45-17, then replace it with an RE92 215-45-17 not a Proxes 4 215-45-17.

Hope that makes sense and helps you not complicate things with your AWD.

SBT

- Pro amore Dei et patriam et populum -

Archived