LegacyGT.com

safety of Cobb maps

scoobiedude

I searched and did not get the answer i was looking for, so, how safe and relilable are the Cobb OTS maps for stage 1 and 2? Meaning, is it going to blow up compared to the stock tune. By the way the car is an 09 GT. I will be at stage 1 for about 6 to 8 months, then go stage 2, when i have the money for parts, and a protune.

I am going to get a protune after I go to Stage 2. But i didn't want to spend $300 on a protune for stage 1 when i am only going to be at it for about 6 months or so. just wanted to be sure cobb stage 1 maps were going to be ok for a while. Or maybe I should get and E-tune form TDC or PDX? just to be sure?

• 3 weeks later...

on a completely stock car (intake and exhaust bone stock), i logged both the 91 octane stage 1 map, as well as the 93 octane stage 1 map. both were logged using 93 octane fuel from BP.

both exhibited knock in multiple places. the 93 octane map knocked more than the 91 octane map. i mistakenly believed that when i switched to the 91 octane map that the knock went away (see my thread - http://www.legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=116672)

today, i went out to my car to pull a learning view screenshot and discovered some learned knock in the middle range load in the 3-4.5K RPM range after having driven about 200 miles total since my last reset. i didn't bother taking a screenshot, but instead, i'm experimenting with something.

i did a full reflash using a 91 octane map instead of just pushing a "realtime" 91 octane on top of my 93 base map. we'll see what happens this time.

I am going to get a protune after I go to Stage 2. But i didn't want to spend $300 on a protune for stage 1 when i am only going to be at it for about 6 months or so. just wanted to be sure cobb stage 1 maps were going to be ok for a while. Or maybe I should get and E-tune form TDC or PDX? just to be sure?

300 bucks from where? i got mine from TDC for 100 and PDX does it for 150

• 4 months later...
So what if you dont live anywhere close to any protuners? Would a map from TDC or PDX be better than the cobb map if you cant get a protune?

TDC definately not (IMHO) plus their not even around anymore, PDX possibly but it in alot of cases is still an OTS map. In my opinion the 07+ LGT's will not suffice with OTS mapping. I offer E-tuning done remotely to dial in the setup. This service is available for select AP users as well. :)

TDC definately not (IMHO) plus their not even around anymore, PDX possibly but it in alot of cases is still an OTS map. In my opinion the 07+ LGT's will not suffice with OTS mapping. I offer E-tuning done remotely to dial in the setup. This service is available for select AP users as well. :)

Well I live in Southern Missouri and we dont have a big Subaru following around here. Most people ask me if my car is a Saab. I guess im going to have to risk the cobb or PDX maps

Yes, dont listen to these guys, I giving this statement based on experience, 2 motors later and running catless with OTS Stg2 map I can say that it deff caused a plethora of problems.

Yep I figured that... I grenaded my first WRX swap into my old 2.5RS due to lack of tuning.

I hoped the OTS Stg 2 on Cobb would suffice...but, not. I wont be able to get it tuned until this weekend (so about 350 miles of driving)... think I'll be ok?

PS...anyone want a Cobb AP V2? I'm going opensource.

Yep I figured that... I grenaded my first WRX swap into my old 2.5RS due to lack of tuning.

I hoped the OTS Stg 2 on Cobb would suffice...but, not. I wont be able to get it tuned until this weekend (so about 350 miles of driving)... think I'll be ok?

what year is your car?

Yes, dont listen to these guys, I giving this statement based on experience, 2 motors later and running catless with OTS Stg2 map I can say that it deff caused a plethora of problems.

No. Don't listen to people who misuse Cobb's products and then blame Cobb.

http://www.legacygt.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=77879&stc=1&d=1261092327

Don't believe everything you read on internet forums, especially from people who can't read instructions or haven't actually compared Cobb's maps to the stock maps. I know random people on internet forums claim to have logs of knock... but I can produce logs showing completely clean dyno runs and no knock using a leaned out Cobb OTS stage 2 map. You can't always trust random activity from a knock sensor. They can read knock if you rev in your driveway.

The two problems people have with Cobb's tunes are

1) they lean out because they didn't follow the instructions and use the stock intake

2) they overboost because they didn't follow the instructions and use a catted downpipe

I've said this before and I'll say it again. It is PRACTICALLY IMPOSSIBLE for your car to lean out with a Cobb stage 2 tune if you follow Cobb's instructions and your car doesn't have some outstanding mechanical problem.

I say that because I've both looked at and actually used the Cobb maps as they were intended to be used, not because I repeated something I read on the internet. Follow the instructions, heed the precautions, and you'll be fine. I'm going to post these comparison maps again in an attempt to push back this tide of misinformation. These are for 05 but I doubt there are huge difference in later models.

The Cobb 93 octane stage 2 maps are almost as rich as stock. And that's a lot of fuel. I have taken a Cobb stage 2 map and actually leaned it out on a Legacy with a full 3" exhaust, UP, one high flow cat.

Here are the stock 05 fuel and timing tables.

http://www.legacygt.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=77875&stc=1&d=1261091189

Here's the stage 2 93 octane fuel table compared to the stock fuel table. You can see that both are very rich, so rich you can smell gas out the back even if you have a cat.

http://www.legacygt.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=77874&stc=1&d=1261091189

Cobb Stage 1 and Stage 2 (93 octane) basic timing map. Dynamic advance is unchanged from stock.

http://www.legacygt.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=77876&stc=1&d=1261092232

Cobb stage 1 and stage 2 boost targets

http://www.legacygt.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=77877&stc=1&d=1261091469

stage 1 and stage 2 wastegate duty cycles. I can post the stock maps for these if needed

http://www.legacygt.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=77878&stc=1&d=1261091469

Cobb's tune is mild. The ignition advance is certainly not excessive if you put the correct octane in the tank. The fuel tuning is rich but still leaner than stock, and the boost control settings work within Cobb's specifications if you actually follow their instructions.

Some people can't follow instructions though. There's not much I or anyone else can do about that.

Cobb_Stage2vsStock_fuel.thumb.jpg.d8b60f1e4698f37512262ffbd326caef.jpg

Legacy_GT_fuel-timing_stock.thumb.jpg.cdef86d6e2569640553d3df7b531637f.jpg

Cobb_Stage1vsStage2_ignition.thumb.jpg.4cbdbc2a7159cb38da8a3adf054c7fb1.jpg

Cobb_Stage1vsStage2_boost.jpg.cdcc1ca482bc72419273ec31ccbb71f8.jpg

Cobb_Stage1vsStage2_wgdc.jpg.c0c07c2182194ba7122097f9de3142a9.jpg

Cobb_map_notes.jpg.28e0c15f7f3615a93bdd1d41967069a3.jpg

On the search for a new DD...

Archived