LegacyGT.com

1990-1993 RS and GT Turbo Legacy

Hi guys

After a few years driving a 1998 2.2 Legacy, followed by a 2004 Impreza WRX Wagon, I'm now planning to buy a 1993 Turbo Legacy.

We didn't have here in France the Legacy RS (220 PS) that's been sold in Japan. Instead we had only this Turbo with 200 PS. I'm just wondering, what are the differences between both engines?

Thanx

Marzan

• 1 month later...

Hi,

I reply to myself as I found some details on a Japanese website. So we in Europe had only the 200 PS turbo engine, with a VF12 IHI turbo. That car was named Legacy Turbo in Germany, Benelux, Switzerland and Legacy RS in UK. The Australian Liberty RS had the 200 PS engine too.

In Japan, this engine was mounted in the Legacy GT (available only in auto gearbox on sedan, and auto and manual gearbox on estate). The 220 PS seems to have been sold only in Japan on the JDM Legacy RS (sedan only), it had VF8 IHI turbo. This car was available as sportier version Legacy RS Type R, which has been declined in Legacy RS Type RA (tuned by Prodrive), a base for the rally car.

Yep, 2.2 SOHC turbo, no intercooler, and the teeny tiny VF12. Closed deck block though... omnomnomnom

And Marzan, i'm sure you won't find much difference in the engines at all, if any. I'd say it would be down to the turbo, and ECU tune alone. The RS's got the rather large VF8 (large for it's day) the JDM GT's btw got VF10's, which as far as i know are the middle ground between VF12 and VF8.

That's intereting Reuben, I thought the JDM GTs had a VF12 too. Mine is an euro-spec Legacy Turbo doing 200 HP, and it has a VF12 (and intercooler).

It also has a european boot (trunk?) with number plate on the boot instead of the bumper.

http://images.forum-auto.com/mesimages/69716/Aout2009008.jpg1..jpg

Thanks John for the road test, the Mitsu has never been imported in France, but the Legacy (imported from 1992) had another 4WD car to compete with, the Renault 21 Turbo Quadra. It had only 170 HP but was lighter.

(in North America you had a local version of the Renault 21 called Renault Medallion)

Yep, 2.2 SOHC turbo, no intercooler, and the teeny tiny VF12. Closed deck block though... omnomnomnom

And Marzan, i'm sure you won't find much difference in the engines at all, if any. I'd say it would be down to the turbo, and ECU tune alone. The RS's got the rather large VF8 (large for it's day) the JDM GT's btw got VF10's, which as far as i know are the middle ground between VF12 and VF8.

It was actually a VF11, not a VF12.

They were in the US from 1991 to 1994. There was even the Touring Wagon from 92 to 94, though they were only available with automatics (and the 92's were only available in Silver and SUPER rare... my mom had one of these).

I owned a silver 91 that I mostly used for parts, and an Aegean Blue Metallic 94 that ended up making nearly 400whp and over 400ft-lbs. The blue one was RWD for some of it's life and even had a dogbox towards the end of its life.

The blue one was actually in Subiesport a long time ago (the one with an Outback on the cover). That was back when it made a measely 260whp and 270ft-lbs.

To date, the 94 is really the only car I would like to have back again. My Forester was cool, and my truck would have come in handy a few times, but there was nothing like driving an old ladies car... that would do AWD burnouts... and break the tires loose on a 3-4 shift.

[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/proper-flip-key-interesti-159894.html"]Flip Key Development Thread[/URL] "Genius may have its limitations, but stupidity is not thus handicapped." - E. Hubbard

Not really. I never invested much time in learning about a turbo with such little potential. It was a good bit smaller than a TD04L. So tiny, I had considered putting one on a riding lawnmower (i had two spares in my garage).
[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/proper-flip-key-interesti-159894.html"]Flip Key Development Thread[/URL] "Genius may have its limitations, but stupidity is not thus handicapped." - E. Hubbard

Now THAT would be awesome! hah. And yeah, teeny tiny things these VF10, 11, and 12's it would seem. I wouldn't even use them in a parallel turbo setup.

The VF8 is apparently a decent size turbo, larger than a TD04L i think, but quite aged now...

I've held both a VF8 and a V3 STi TD05-16G. Virtually identical in size. I had the 16G on my car, and a friend was putting the VF8 on his.

I can't think of a use for a VF11 beyond turbocharging something interesting (like a lawnmower).

In fact, a friend and I got so gung-ho about the lawnmower idea we built a Mega-Squirt and had fuel-injection plans ready to go! Imagine. A fuel injected, turbocharged riding mower. See what that little rabbit can do!

Archived