LegacyGT.com

xm radio

Jimmy78

I don't have any pictures of it right now, but I have a little slim unit that is stuck facing up right below the shifter, just above the drink holders. Fits perfectly, looks really clean, and you can change stations really easily, even when driving in traffic without taking your hand off the shifter. I like it a lot.

By all means use some sort of Aux in mod when doing XM or sat radio. FM modulators ruin the sound . I did the soldering in mod before I went to real aftermarket head unit.

The audio quality of Sat radio is pretty bad to begin with though. I'm not disagreeing that properly doing an Aux input will do wonders for the sound, however it will never be close to CD quality. I'm probably going to be getting rid of Sat radio in the near future due to the poor sound quality.

The audio quality of Sat radio is pretty bad to begin with though. I'm not disagreeing that properly doing an Aux input will do wonders for the sound, however it will never be close to CD quality. I'm probably going to be getting rid of Sat radio in the near future due to the poor sound quality.

Sat radio does not necessarily sound bad. It just gets degraded by the extra cabling required to feed it to your sytem. An outboard XM unit will often not sound as good as a direct system (for example my outboard XM unit cannot match my Alpine direct TUA reciever for sound quaility). No it doesn't compare to CD quaiity and never will (my radio comes with Alpines best F1 status player). My direct XM comes pretty close to MP3/IPOD hookups I have. There is also a huge difference in sound quality between stations and music in XM.

Here's my setup:

http://legacygt.com/forums/picture.php?albumid=162&pictureid=1839

Not the best but it works. I'll probably axe the XM tuner soon because the sound quality is pretty poor and it's junking up the dash. I mostly play music through the Garmin GPS anyway, it has a good media player built in and uses SDHC cards. I have a 16GB card it recognizes though I have yet to fill it up. I've used a 4GB card with almost 400 songs on it, it recognizes every one of them. It can play genre, album, artist, all or whatever. Pretty cool.

XM does sound bad, using FM modulators is worse. Having used the same AUX input in my Alpine unit I can take the audio cable from my GPS, which plays MP3's, hook it to the XM and the quality goes down. The GPS playing MP3's (encoded at 192kbps) almost sounds just as good as the Apine's CD player, much better than the XM unit. In fact I have two preset EQ curves: one for the radio/CD/GPS and another retuned for the XM. I find it hard to believe a built in tuner is going to sound that much better. Their channel 77 is supposed to be "HD", it sounds ok as long as you want to listen to classical but it's the only "HD" channel they have. All others, as far as I can tell, are low quality. They sound like mid double-digit encoded MP3's.

Archived