LegacyGT.com

Advice on a $15k car

My brother has had a beater for his first year and a half of driving, but going to college and looking for something better. Here are the constraints:

Budget: Around $15k but a little over is fine

Fuel Economy: 20+ mpg mixed driving is good, higher is better

Transmission: Automatic

Doors: Four

AWD is a plus, though not necessary. The car doesn't have to be too powerful, but dont recommend a 100hp Fit. Coolness factor is paramount.

2005-2009 Legacy 2.5i Limited, as new, and low mileage as you can find for the money.

TSX second place, although for college, and annual moving, and other stuff, A previous-gen Mazda 6 5-door sedan might do really well. I4 or V6...

Maybe a Saab 9^2x, if the 5-door body style isn't a deal breaker.

Legacy GT is a great car...

But for a college student... I wouldn't suggest it for insurance, and maintenance issues. A non-turbo Subaru would be easier to keep up with on a college schedule and budget.

I kind of wish the H6 had been more common, and offered with a manual gearbox, not just late and auto-only in the BL Legacy.

Having a turbo burn up, or internal engine problems due to over-boost or crappy fuel, or something else like that would be a huge bill for a college student to absorb. Heck, it would be a big bill for ME to absorb, and I am an employed professional.

2006-07 Hyundai Azera Limited. Available with 20-40k miles for $15k. Blows away a TSX in power and drivability (equal to an auto LGT and quicker up top), good highway car, lots of room, proven very reliable. No Acura snob factor though but I'll bet it matches it feature for feature and it won't feel anemic when the AC is on.

Example: http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.jsp?ct=u&car_id=264874863

I have a cousin in college who thought I was crazy when I said to test drive an Azera. He bought the first one he drove and has loved it ever since.

Legacy GT is a great car...

But for a college student... I wouldn't suggest it for insurance, and maintenance issues. A non-turbo Subaru would be easier to keep up with on a college schedule and budget.

I kind of wish the H6 had been more common, and offered with a manual gearbox, not just late and auto-only in the BL Legacy.

Having a turbo burn up, or internal engine problems due to over-boost or crappy fuel, or something else like that would be a huge bill for a college student to absorb. Heck, it would be a big bill for ME to absorb, and I am an employed professional.

Granted I'm at 25 which I remember hearing there was supposed to be a drop at that time, when I was pricing insurance, the lgt ended up being cheaper than an accord, but yeah, that is definitely a good question of how much money will he have available for repairs.

Lightly used Mazda 6..? I really liked the one I had before my Leggy. Might be a bit big for college, though. Actually, the Mazda 3s hatchback would make a great college car, IMHO.

Seek first to understand, then to be understood.

In other words: SEARCH before you post!

2006-07 Hyundai Azera Limited. Available with 20-40k miles for $15k. Blows away a TSX in power and drivability (equal to an auto LGT and quicker up top), good highway car, lots of room, proven very reliable. No Acura snob factor though but I'll bet it matches it feature for feature and it won't feel anemic when the AC is on.

Example: http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.jsp?ct=u&car_id=264874863

I have a cousin in college who thought I was crazy when I said to test drive an Azera. He bought the first one he drove and has loved it ever since.

Off topic... I'm waiting to buy the 3 to 4 years old 4.6 Genisis sedan with the full boat package. Not 42 Kmaybe 22 K ;)

The TSX sits atop the list right now. There are cooler cars -- such as the A4, g35 -- that could fit in at this price, but you'd be getting a higher mileage, higher maintenance vehicle. For the same maintenance reasons, he would never get an LGT. He's not a huge car kid, and when I said cool factor I didn't necessarily mean badge snob factor. For example, he thought the Kia Soul looked like a fun option. He hasn't driven one yet though. If the Ford Fiesta were out, that would probably be a consideration.. despite that blue oval.

I was going to steer clear of most things German, mostly because of maintenance concerns. He doesn't like the Jetta, though he thinks the Passat could be a possible option. The only dealbreaker is the 2.0T engine, which has a couple issues. Anything from Merc or BMW is too old/high mileage for $15k.

Though a Legacy 2.5i is an option, I doubt he'll want one. He kind of thinks it's a bit bland. Same deal with the Impreza.

Lightly used Mazda 6..? I really liked the one I had before my Leggy. Might be a bit big for college, though. Actually, the Mazda 3s hatchback would make a great college car, IMHO.

Previous Mazda 6 wasn't too big. The new one, like Legacy, is huge.

Plus the previous Mazda 6 has a 5-door sedan body-style that isn't as boxy as a wagon, or wagon-wannabe compact.

i personally like the TL over the TSX but for that price range it would have to be around 60,000 miles. what about a civic. at least 30mpg highway. insurance wise the cheapest would be VW and Subaru. My wife's SI is twice as much on insurance then my spec.b which the insurance considers it a GT

• 2 weeks later...
If he thinks Legacy and Impreza are bland...

A refridgerator crate-square Scion.

tC is the only scion he'd ever consider. The Legacy is just a regular four-door when in 2.5i form. Remember he'll never mod it or anything. And the Impreza wouldn't be a WRX.. and I think we can agree it's not a looker.

He might be sold on a TSX. He drove a dark gray automatic with only 17k miles on it. The guy is willing to let go of it for $18k, but my parents are willing to pay for it cash so they can probably pull it down slightly. Thanks for all the input guys.

Archived