LegacyGT.com

2001 Wagon starting to rust

error

Last fall I noticed cracking paint on the left rear door sill. Sprayed it on the outside with Rust Check.

On the weekend I finally decided to put the roof rails on. So I ripped the interior, drilled the roof and bolted the rails where they belong.

During the process, I removed the sill covers and looked inside - the seams are obviously rusting. I generously sprayed the rusting stuff with Rust Check.

Are there any decent products on the market to stop the corrosion? The spot is PITA to work on because it's inside the panel and virtually inaccessible.

http://forums.drom.ru/picture.php?albumid=4259&pictureid=22074http://forums.drom.ru/picture.php?albumid=4259&pictureid=22075

Rustoleum paint. Get something that's a close match and give a gentle wire brush to whatever you can. Don't go wild, as you'll peel the paint off the whole car before you know it... :lol: It seems that the parts that are rusting aren't visible, so matching the paint isn't imperative. When I do these types of things I use a scrap piece of cardboard and hold it up around the rust. You can even cut a section out of the middle that fits over the rusted area, that way you don't spray the rest of the car.

Take a piece of cardboard and cut the middle out about 1" or so larger than the rusted area. Then hold the cardboard about 1/2" away from the car (Otherwise the spray will cover a larger area than the hole in the cardboard) and spray through the hole. Use light coats and let each of them dry before applying another coat. After the first coat you still want to be able to see the rust a bit. Keep applying coats until you can't see the rust, then add one more coat to top it off. Maybe 3 or 4 LIGHT coats total. Light coats prevent runs in the paint, and help it stick to the surface better. Otherwise the paint underneath the top layer will take a LOOOOONG time to dry, and will probably smudge off as soon as you touch it. I'd give the paint at least 15 to 20 minutes. Sometimes the can says "Dry in 12 minutes", but what does it hurt to give it a little extra time?

Thanks, but... rusting is the internal seam - you can see it inside the hole on 2nd picture. No way to get there with a wire brush.

Sorry for the vague pics - it was 2 am in the morning :eek:

Would rustoleum paint work without cleaning the surface? Probably not :mad:

It would but with lesser results. It would slow the rust for a while, but it would probably return later down the road. It's still better than letting it go on like it is.

How about this, take an air hose and stick it in that hole. Blow out all the loose rust then spray Rustoleum in the hole. That would work.

Archived