LegacyGT.com

wrx springs on LGT ??

boost4life

Has anyone compaired a wrx spring to a lgt spring I know on my wrx guys were wanting the springs for there foresters , did not know if anyone has ever looked into this. and if possible would it be a slight drop or severe.

Possibly would have to change strut assembly ??

You'd have to use '08+ WRX springs, nothing else will fit in the rear due to the multilink rear suspension on the Legacy and '08+ WRX vs strut suspension on older Imprezas.

The WRX rears are too soft, even the SPT performance spring... you could try using the fronts, but then you'd have to figure out something for the rear (much easier to buy a matched set).

So, you could look for other aftermarket WRX springs, but at that point you might as well go with and aftermarket LGT spring and save yourself the hassle.

Yep. and I've witnessed first-hand that the 08 WRX suspension is softer than stock LGT suspension in terms of body roll and camber loss.. :lol: I helped a friend do a brake install on his 08 WRX and went for a ride when he was bedding them in. I think the rear tires lifted off the ground for a fraction of a second because the front dove a ton and I heard a screech from the rear followed by a thud.

Yep. and I've witnessed first-hand that the 08 WRX suspension is softer than stock LGT suspension in terms of body roll and camber loss.. :lol: I helped a friend do a brake install on his 08 WRX and went for a ride when he was bedding them in. I think the rear tires lifted off the ground for a fraction of a second because the front dove a ton and I heard a screech from the rear followed by a thud.

The '08 WRX was especially soft, but what I meant above is that the rears on any WRX are so soft that they won't work on our cars. I found some WRX rates for comparison (the '09 rates happen to be same as the STi, interestingly enough- looks like they raided the parts bin after everyone complained about the wallowy handling)

LGT Front: 196 lb/in

LGT Rear: 308 lb/in

WRX Front: 217 lb/in (MY2009 / same as STi)

WRX Rear: 194 lb/in (MY2009 / same as STi)

WRX Front: 151 lb/in (MY2008)

WRX Rear: 137 lb/in (MY2008)

The LGT needs a substantially stiffer rear spring. But what may be interesting is trying out STi front springs, if you can find a decent aftermarket spring to match the rears...?

• 2 months later...

With Race Comps help I put a set of Regular Guy 08/09 STi springs on my 05 LGT. The springs will fit on the struts no problem. The front ride height came down about 1/2 inch and the rear ride height came down 1 1/2 inches. The rear end looked like a lead slead.

So will they fit? yes, would you want to use them, most likley not.

even the new pinks for the 09 wrx?

Springs are supposed to be designed for certain weights and weight distributions on cars.

I really doubt you'd want to run WRX springs on a LGT, even if they were stiffer, the rates front to back would be wrong.

Esp when you can get LGT pinks, which i doubt cost much more.

You might get away with putting the 09 WRX front spring. I believe it has a 220 lb/in rate. You won't be matched front to rear any more but the percent increase to the front spring isn't too bad. I'm not sure what your end goal is but you might want to try iONs.

• 2 years later...

Sorry for the thread revival, but I have a friend who is offering his pink springs from his 07 WRX (not STI). I realize they won't work with the spring rates being so different, but I just wanted to know if anyone has an idea why the GD WRX spring rates are so different than the BP/BL LGTs? The WRX has stiffer springs in front but softer in the rear. The LGT is softer in front but stiffer in the rear.

Is it just because of the combination of longer wheelbase and heavier car? Or should I be looking at the damping rates that are coupled with the OEM springs?

Archived