LegacyGT.com

I think I'm going with the OB XT instead of the GT wagon

I am now 90% convinced that the new car is going to be Outback XT instead of the GT wagon. My reasons: 1) Similarly equipped XT’s weigh only 80lbs more than the GT. In non-Ltd trim the XT is 3,415 lbs. and the GT wagon is 3,335lbs. As a matter of fact the GT ltd wagon with 5EAT weighs 85 pound MORE than the base XT with 5MT! 20lbs more with the same tranny. 2) I am convinced that the XT MT’s final drive ratio of 4.44:10 vs. the GT’s 4.11:1.0 will more than compensate for the marginal weight increase. 3) There are two main roads that lead to my house. One is dirt and I regularly attack it in my 01 OB but wouldn’t even consider taking the GT on it. 4) The extra 2 inches of ground clearance will actually have some impact where I live. 5) My dealer has an Obsidian Black Pearl XT with 5MT arriving in less than 10days! What I lose: 1) I gain the aforementioned 80 pounds. 2) 3.2 turns to lock vs. 2.8. 3) Smaller brake rotors all around and the ones in the rear aren’t vented. 4) Handling in general. But, I’m not afraid to admit that he GT is probably a better handling car than I am a driver. I’m pleased with how my 01 OB handles so I should be OK. :D What I “gain”: 1) Power seats (probably more annoying than beneficial) 2) Overhead console for sunglasses I don’t own. 3) I’m pretty sure the XT comes with the extended armrest. Whoopee! 4) Better re-sale (where I live). Of course, I may change my mind again……….

I don't think that you'd go wrong with an XT (I liked the AT one I just drove very much!), but I'm going to wait and drive a GT first before I make up my mind. Congrats on making a decision! One thing, though, the OBXT I test drove did not have armrest extensions, so I guess they're an option.

[quote name='GaryS']I don't think that you'd go wrong with an XT (I liked the AT one I just drove very much!), but I'm going to wait and drive a GT first before I make up my mind. Congrats on making a decision! One thing, though, the OBXT I test drove did not have armrest extensions, so I guess they're an option.[/quote] Gary: Thanks for the heads up on the armrest. Wsa the XT that you drove a limited or base model? If it was the base, how did you like the interior?

Guest *Jedimaster*
Hmm- I wrestled with this same issue for about a week. I like the look of the OB with the fender flares and all and the ride height is closer to what I'd like, but the Legacy won me over as it looks a bit more "sleek" or "clean". Maybe I'll swap some OB owner his springs and shocks :P

The final drive is offset by a bigger tire though. So you'll need to swap for a small one to gain the benefits. I though about getting an OBXT and swap the Legacy brakes/suspensions, but didn't want to bother with all those things.

[quote] the XT MT’s final drive ratio of 4.44:10 vs. the GT’s 4.11:1.0 will more than compensate for the marginal weight increase. [/quote] I'm don't really know much about the calculations that go into calculating rpms at a given mph (USDM Legacy 2.5GT Turbo Gear Ratios [url]http://www.legacysti.com/viewtopic.php?t=228[/url] ), but does the difference in final drive ratio mean that the XT will spin at higher RPM's than a GT when in 5th gear at a given speed (say for instance 80mph) ... or does the different tire sizes offset the differences? What would the affects on XT versus GT acceleration be?

[quote name='SoldonSubie'][quote name='GaryS']I don't think that you'd go wrong with an XT (I liked the AT one I just drove very much!), but I'm going to wait and drive a GT first before I make up my mind. Congrats on making a decision! One thing, though, the OBXT I test drove did not have armrest extensions, so I guess they're an option.[/quote] Gary: Thanks for the heads up on the armrest. Wsa the XT that you drove a limited or base model? If it was the base, how did you like the interior?[/quote] It was, in fact, a base XT. IMHO, the interior is nicely done on the base model. I thought the cloth seats looked fairly sporty, and they were comfortable and supportive. They also look like they will wear very well. I have not seen the leather, but I'm generally not a fan of it so I will most likely go with a base model of whatever it is I finally decide on. As to the armrest, it's also possible that it will be standard on the limited and optional on the base.

The OB XT is a fine choice. As you mentioned, it's very close to the GT wagon. I'm surprised Subaru didn't do more to differentiate the two. One other difference between the two: The GT gets the chrome tailpipe covers. :) Also the OB XT MSRPs for $1000 more than the GT. Ken

[quote name='Ken S']The OB XT is a fine choice. As you mentioned, it's very close to the GT wagon. I'm surprised Subaru didn't do more to differentiate the two. One other difference between the two: The GT gets the chrome tailpipe covers. :) Also the OB XT MSRPs for $1000 more than the GT. Ken[/quote] Ken: In a perfect world I'd want to configure the XT just like the GT and save the $1k. IE without power seats and that fancy overhead console. Oh well.

Archived