LegacyGT.com

What kind of Scotch do you like?

cfaber

What do you drink most of the time?  

18 members have voted

1. 1. What do you drink most of the time?

• Single Malt At least 12 years
    • Single Malt At least 15 years
    • Single Malt At least 21 years
    • Single Malt 25 or more years (big spender!)

Drinking and driving - never a good idea, however drinking and drinking, always fun. So the question stands, Do you like scotch? If so what kind?

I'm a single malt guy, favorite scotch 25 year highland park.

What about you?

Winning the internet

You failed the poll. You didn't have an "all of the above" option. ;)

I'm a big single malt drinker, but I'm not going to claim that a certain age is really indicative of quality. The factors that play into what makes one scotch taste one way or another are so varied that age is only one of many parameters. While age definitely imparts a unique character to Scotch (usually mellowed), an aged Scotch from a peaty region with a specific style pot may still be stronger in acids than another Scotch from a different region and still different pots again. None of this is to mention that the barrels they choose can have a huge impact as well, so the vintage of the sherry or port casks can even have a huge influence on the character.

My only real requirement in Scotch is single malt. Then I'll taste and decide from there.

Some blended stuff is ok, though note my cup of tea (or glass or scotch =). Generally I've found that once you hit that 15 year mark, regardless as to brand you tend to get a little more mellow flavor with less bite to it. Nothing wrong with younger scotch - they just generally have more bite to them and less developed flavor (generally)

Winning the internet

Single malt is great, but there are also some good blended scotches, but people believe the hype and think the only great scotch is single malt.

Drinking a blended scotch is akin to drinking Budweiser. The whole point of blending scotch is to keep a very consistent flavor over and over with little to no variation. That's boring to me.

I suppose next you're going to tell me that bottled wine isn't all it's hyped up to be. Boxes FTW! ;)

I agree that not all single malts are good, much like not all wine is good. You have to know what you you like.

It's the concept of blending scotch that bothers me. It isn't blended PRIOR to being barrelled. At least a wine blend has the grapes blended before they go into barrels.

Now, if it were blended, THEN put in a barrel and aged as one scotch, I would feel differently.

My point on blending is that it's primary purpose is to make it more consistent with less variation. Generally speaking, variation is a relatively moot point regardless, unless you're drinking single barrel or sometimes cask strength whisky.

I think my opposition to blended whisky is that it is one of the only premium beverages (at least that I can think of) that is created by taking finished products and mixing them together to create a new product with a character which ... the "whole is less than the sum of its parts."

I LOVE Macallan Fine Oak 15! So smooth yet still has some kick. I would rather drink this over any GF even their 18 year old.

The age doesnt always make a better drink. My girlfriend and I love Grand Mariner(dont know bout that spelling) but we drink the 100 year old over the 150. The taste is fuller and seems to a little smoother as is the same case I feel with scotch.

F*&^ that blended stuff stick to straight single !

I prefer a good single malt over a blend. No real preference on age if it is a quality scotch though older is usually a bit more mellow.

I also prefer single barrel bourbons for the same reason: more character.

Fun Shots:

Take 1 tall shot glass (1.5 OZ) add Grand Marnier + shot of espresso then mix, then add little heavy cream to the top, serve with straw.

Take 1 tall shot glass (1.5 OZ) add a shot of Amaretto, layer half a shot of espresso on top of that, layer some heavy cream on top of that, serve with straw =)

Winning the internet

Personally I perfer very peaty, smoky single malts from the islay reigon. While older is usually better, something like laphroiag 10.yr cask strength is still quite good. My two favorites though are #2 being Lagavulin 16 and #1 Oban 14. I don't really like to spend more that $100 on a bottle though because for example for the price JW Blue or Talisker 25 I could have 3 or more bottles of great scotch. Maybe one day though I'll drop the $600 on a bottle of Laphroiag 30, but then for that much I could buy an accessport. Oh yeah hate cheap blends and I always drink scotch either neat or add a drop or 2 of water.

Oban 14 is probably my favorite too. And strangely, the other bottle in my pantry at the moment is Lagavulin 16. But I do not like the Lavavulin. I find it surprising that you say smoky and peaty are your favorites, because I don't think of Oban as peaty.

I follow you now. I was just confused when you said you loved peaty and smoky, then named Oban as your favorite.

I wouldn't say that it's the best scotch I've ever tasted, but for value, I think it's the best bottle my money can buy. :)

I like it all (if it doesn't suck).

A good 10-15 year old Talisker, Glenfarclas, or Laphroaig is just fine for "every day."

What I really like right now are cask strength whiskies. Glenfarclas is a good way to get into that with 105, which is fairly in expensive for a cask strength.

However, my current favorite is my 25 year old Talisker cask strength. Delicious.

A good blend is just find. An example is Johnnie Walker Blue. It is massively overpriced. The single malts you can get for $170-200, for example the 25 year old Talisker, put blue to shame. But you can't deny that it isn't good, as long a ssomeone else is buying.

Archived