LegacyGT.com

End link noise properties

nia

Hi.

I've got a one year old Legacy Boxer Diesel st. car, and after a couple of trackdays and a sports drivers intense training course, I'v decided to upgrade to less understeer/more direct steering and handling.

However, I like the way that my Legacy is whisper quiet in my daily driving. Si i need a compromise solution :rolleyes:

I've already purchased a Whiteline 20mm rear sway bar. I intend to replace the front and rear links, but need buying advice.

Now for my question:

There are a few types of replacement end links out there, and from what Google-results tell me, there may be a noticeable amount of noise increase.

But how and what types/models of links are better/worse from that perspective? Is it transmission of roll-noise, is it only under poor road conditions or when passing road bumps, what about sperical/adjustable vs other types ...

Any input is very welcome :)

I have had both Whiteline's and AVO's adjustable spherical endlinks and after around a year (including a Chicago winter on each) they both started to make rattling/knocking noises. I then switched to Kartboy solid endlinks last year and a bushing on one of the front ones got ripped out. Singe early this spring I'm now on AVO solid endlinks and after some moderately aggressive street driving plus a road course track day all is still good.

Thanks TRS. Thats very good input on the quality of the different links. Do you drive very hard, or is this more a case of just poor quality or winter induced problems (we do have winter here in Denmark as well!).

Any other input on the links while they were still working (noise or other performance differences)?

The main culprit for the short lifespan of the spherical end links is probably the aggressive use of salt and other corrosive chemicals for roadway snow and ice removal in the Chicago metro area. While they are the "ultimate" in that they provide a direct frame to bar connection, the solid type with high durometer polyurethane bushings are sufficient for anything less than all out maximum performance, and other limiting factors (including the driver's ability) will likely come into play first. In reality, the OE ones are probably fine for anything below 9/10ths driving.

Hi.

I've got a one year old Legacy Boxer Diesel st. car, and after a couple of trackdays and a sports drivers intense training course, I'v decided to upgrade to less understeer/more direct steering and handling.

However, I like the way that my Legacy is whisper quiet in my daily driving. Si i need a compromise solution :rolleyes:

I've already purchased a Whiteline 20mm rear sway bar. I intend to replace the front and rear links, but need buying advice.

Now for my question:

There are a few types of replacement end links out there, and from what Google-results tell me, there may be a noticeable amount of noise increase.

But how and what types/models of links are better/worse from that perspective? Is it transmission of roll-noise, is it only under poor road conditions or when passing road bumps, what about sperical/adjustable vs other types ...

Any input is very welcome :)

If that is what you want to do, end links are the LAST thing you need.

"Belief does not make truth. Evidence makes truth. And belief does not make evidence."

The adjustables from AVO should be what you're looking for. I wouldn't use any solid endlinks.

Then again, if you haven't lowered your car at all, you have no reason to change the swaybar endlinks.

Warren

If that is what you want to do, end links are the LAST thing you need.

Interesting input. I have been led to the understanding, that the stock links are very soft and does not give the anti-roll bar full effect because of that?

So rear links to couple the new whiteline anti-roll bar, and front links to balace the now much more 'flat' rear end out a bit?

Could you explain where I'm mistaken? :confused:

The adjustables from AVO should be what you're looking for. I wouldn't use any solid endlinks.

Then again, if you haven't lowered your car at all, you have no reason to change the swaybar endlinks.

Warren

Now that's two for not changing links. I have not lowered the car, and do not intend to do so.

a) You wouldn't use solid links. Why?

b) Not having lowered, I do not need links at all you say. But what about the flex compared to upgraded links?

Thanks for any supplemental input and comments.

Stiffer endlinks allow you to adjust the mechanical advantage on the sway bar, effectively increasing its rate. This is a good thing for a car that sees track duty. Even with stock ride height, especially stock springs, getting the most out of the sway bars will help control body roll and improve responsiveness of the steering. I haven't upgraded my end links yet (it's next on the list), but I have driven other Subarus with upgraded bars and links. The NVH is slightly increased, but not very noticeable except on the harshest of bumps. Here is my recommendation:

Start with only upgrading the rear end links with your new rear Whiteline bar. I have a lot of experience with a WRX STI that runs Whiteline F&R sway bars with these end links at both ends:

http://www.whiteline.com.au/product_detail.php?part_number=KLC044

They are a little noisy but nothing terrible and they are heavy duty for track use. The good part is that if they are a little noisy for your taste, they are at the back of the car. You probably won't notice it and you could get a more flimsy end link set for the front end if you still want to upgrade them.

We see a lot of salt on our roads in winter. The STI running the Whiteline end links has gone through 2 winters on them and they still perform great.

Thanks Franz for your real life experience. That is exactly what I'm looking for. What you say is more or less a confirmation on my expctations.

When they are "a little noisy", how/when does that appear. Normal road noise, only when passing holes and bumps or...?

Usually when I notice a noise, it is over bumps, particularly bumps that only hit one of the wheels (like potholes). I can hear a thud or occasional squeak under the car on the WRX STI. The Legacy has better sound deadening so it should be even less noticeable. It's nothing compared to the squealing of running track brake pads on the street though. :lol: The STI has coilovers with solid metal pillow mounts and those are much noisier than the sway bar end links.

Archived