LegacyGT.com

2000 Legacy GT Pre-Purchase questions

I wouldn't buy a 2000 Legacy, that was the least reliable year for that generation.

http://autos.msn.com/research/vip/Reliability.aspx?year=2000&make=Subaru&model=Legacy

Its never a good idea, to buy the first year of any new model car, as that's when all the problems occur and most recalls are fixed. The 2000-2004 outback was the heavies of all outbacks that have been made with no improvement in HP. Id honestly look at a 99 over an 00 or 01 or if you can afford it an 06.

Subarus in general though are really good cars and I wouldn't hesitate to buy any year as long as its well maintied and of decent millage

Its never a good idea, to buy the first year of any new model car, as that's when all the problems occur and most recalls are fixed.

Agree 100%, however Subarus are somewhat of an exception since the rest of the world used to get them 1-2 years before us.

You also need to look out for head gasket leaks on any Legacy or Outback up until 2004. IIRC 98/99 were the worst years.

Friends don't let friends drink cheap beer.

I bought my 00 GT on Mar of 00. Had it for 72,000 mile when I traded it for my 05.

Other then a manual tranny issue, input bearing wore the case. The only issue I can remember was the sun roof leaking.

I remember the 00's had something like 90 improvements over my 98'. On the test drive, after I drove the car about 40ft I knew it was a much improved car. It was parked on a grassy hill. I drove it down, onto the gravel, up onto the asphalt and said, wow, what a difference.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

Archived