LegacyGT.com

97 Legacy Rack ends

blouse

The outer tie rod ends are $30-35 USD a piece. The inners are $20-25 USD a piece. Replace them.

When I bought my car the tie rod ends made a lot of noise because the boots had broken allowing surface rust to form on the ball inside. As a temporary fix to get rid of the noise they made, and the stiffness from lack of grease, I removed the outer rod end from the knuckle, cleaned the balls (No laughing) with WD40, then lubricated them with white lithium grease. This fix lasted 2 months.

Replacing the rod ends are easy, and highly recommended. Air tools would make this job much easier. An alignment is also recommended, even if you think you've marked the location of the old ones and put the new ones on the same way, different brands of tie rod ends may have tighter or looser tolerances that could throw off the alignment. If the inner ends have are +.1" longer then stock parts, but still within tolerance, and the outers are also +.1 longer than stock, but still within tolerance, then when all is said and done the entire rack would be +.4", which could add up to somewhere around 1 degree of toe out at the wheels... Possibly even more.

Archived