LegacyGT.com

Camaro vs. LGT

^They do look very distinct, but the point was most of the underpinnings from a mechanical standpoint are the same. To me, to have two vehicles share the engine, tranny and platform, makes them close to being the same car. No, they are not the same car in the same sense as the G5 vis a vis to the Cobalt or Sierra to Silverado. Those come even closer because even the body is damn close if not identical.

And yes, the Z and G Coupe come closer than what some owners are comfortable to admit. Same platform, drivetrain, engine.

I never argued the fact that they have the same mechanics, i jsut said a trans am is not simply a camaro with a body kit. I know dark didnt mean it like a body kit he meant a different body i guess(should say what he means as i cant tell what he means by the faces he makes and body gestures.) But dark did say the g35 and 350z arent the same because they have a different body well so do the camaro and T/A, they have more different body parts than they do the same. Also ppettit said he says the phrase a g35 is just a 350z with a body kit and the same for the camaro vs t/a.

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Hey guys quick question for all of you. I have a friend who has a 2000 Camaro Z28, its completely stock. I have an 05 LGT stage 1. He was riding with me the other day in my car and was like this is pretty quick, but nowhere near as quick as my car. So I told him, I bet I could beat you or at least give you a run for your money. He said no way, but I insisted we go to a track and settle this and he was like that would be a waste of my time and gas. So I ask you guys what would the outcome of this race be? Don't worry I won't be upset if you guys rip on me and tell me it won't be close I just want to know what all of you think.

Unless you are running 12.9-13.3 he will win. Of course drivers can come into play.

From 1998 on the Camaro Z/28, SS, Firebird Formula, Trans Am, and WS6's(Ram Air models) all share the same engine, transmissions, rear ends, etc. All the engines in each make the same power regardless. A Z/28 will make roughly the same hp as a Trans Am WS6 Ram Air. The motors are identical.

Granted throughout the years the engine specs have changed. The 2001-2002 make more hp and generally can be faster than the 98-00 motors. These cars can put down 300-320 rwhp in stock form.

[SIZE=1][URL="http://public.fotki.com/blackfang/"]Pics[/URL] [B]08 KawasakiZZR 600- exhaust and other mods 98 Camaro Z/28 HT- some mods......street/strip car 07 Legacy 2.5i- SPT exhaust...daily driver[/B][/SIZE]

I've been in my friend's Camaro before and twice I was with him when he was trying to race somebody. The one time he was racing a late 80's RX-7 and he got beat pretty badly, but what I remember was him launching, he spun his tires a shit load before he got off the RX-7 had about five cars on him. Second time I was with him he won, but again he spun the tires a shit load. So I'm thinking he isn't to great at launching that beast.

People usually sell front clips for 3k and rear for almost 5k. So yes it is possibly but pricey.

And to obe fair i dont think the sierra and silverado have different front clips, just the grill and front bumper.

maybe the newest gen does. The 03-06s had a different hood fenders headlights turn signals grill bumper bumper beam and fog lights.

but what brand the car has really is just semantics.. I mean a firebird or a camaro are going to perform in similar fashion because of the powertrain, general body shape and suspension.

still tho.. its fun to dick around with this. :lol: A lot of people wouldn't be able to pick out the differences in such detail..

"The penalty good men pay for indifference to public affairs is to be ruled by evil men." - Plato

maybe the newest gen does. The 03-06s had a different hood fenders headlights turn signals grill bumper bumper beam and fog lights.

but what brand the car has really is just semantics.. I mean a firebird or a camaro are going to perform in similar fashion because of the powertrain, general body shape and suspension.

still tho.. its fun to dick around with this. :lol: A lot of people wouldn't be able to pick out the differences in such detail..

Thats cause we spend too much time with ours and other peoples cars. :lol:

Yep they will perform the same. Hopefully this winter i will be buying another ls1 car, or an ls1 to put in a car. ls1 vettes are getting cheap and i have always wanted a vette too bad i need space for one of these lol

Now you can take you children to the races

3-carbon-fiber-babyseat.jpg.5e7389b4f1c299ec76e2d3264e18d76b.jpg

I had a vortec motor (BASICALLY a cast iron ls1.. yea i know its not the same displacement etc. etc. )in my c10 projcet a few years ago with a 4L60E behind it. I never got it fired (a lot was going on at that time.)

I've wanted to own a vette for some time now.. but it may be a while yet.. you can get great deals on them now.. a lot of people have low mileage last gen vettes for sale all over the place.. the good thign is most of these are also loaded and/or z06 or at least 6 speed manuals.. its usually the automatics that have the high mileage..

its on my to do list.. right up there with winning the lottery and paying off all my parents debt.. my own debt, then moving to a bigger house, fixing up my belair, and buying my dad that 67 chevelle SS 396 hes always wanted. :lol::(

"The penalty good men pay for indifference to public affairs is to be ruled by evil men." - Plato

I've been in my friend's Camaro before and twice I was with him when he was trying to race somebody. The one time he was racing a late 80's RX-7 and he got beat pretty badly, but what I remember was him launching, he spun his tires a shit load before he got off the RX-7 had about five cars on him. Second time I was with him he won, but again he spun the tires a shit load. So I'm thinking he isn't to great at launching that beast.

Maybe he ran into something like this.

http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a17/buzzer285/0429091929.jpg

Yes an FD with a LS2 swap. My buddy's 2nd FD/LSx swapped car. Still working the bugs out, but this car second time out ran 12.0's@120 mph. Still has to work on traction and a few things.

[SIZE=1][URL="http://public.fotki.com/blackfang/"]Pics[/URL] [B]08 KawasakiZZR 600- exhaust and other mods 98 Camaro Z/28 HT- some mods......street/strip car 07 Legacy 2.5i- SPT exhaust...daily driver[/B][/SIZE]

I had a vortec motor (BASICALLY a cast iron ls1.. yea i know its not the same displacement etc. etc. )in my c10 projcet a few years ago with a 4L60E behind it. I never got it fired (a lot was going on at that time.)

I've wanted to own a vette for some time now.. but it may be a while yet.. you can get great deals on them now.. a lot of people have low mileage last gen vettes for sale all over the place.. the good thign is most of these are also loaded and/or z06 or at least 6 speed manuals.. its usually the automatics that have the high mileage..

its on my to do list.. right up there with winning the lottery and paying off all my parents debt.. my own debt, then moving to a bigger house, fixing up my belair, and buying my dad that 67 chevelle SS 396 hes always wanted. :lol::(

HAHAHA i know exactly what you mean, if i won the lottery thats what i would to. Get debt free, get my rents debt free, build a new home and build a garage 10 times the size of my house pay my baby momma a large sum of money so i would never have to pay child support again and the by my dad that 70 cuda 440 hes always wanted. Then i would by 200 different kinds of cars that iwannasportsedan loves and put ls1s in all of them :lol::lol:

Maybe he ran into something like this.

http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a17/buzzer285/0429091929.jpg

Yes an FD with a LS2 swap. My buddy's 2nd FD/LSx swapped car. Still working the bugs out, but this car second time out ran 12.0's@120 mph. Still has to work on traction and a few things.

2700lbs + ls2 = awesome. I know quite a few guys with ls1 swapped 240s that have gone high 10s with a head/cam ls1. It soo easy to hit tens with that engine and a light car.

Yep. His other car was in the 11's. This one still has some tweaking to do. The WS6 behind it has a built motor/trans going into it as well.

Yep. His other car was in the 11's. This one still has some tweaking to do. The WS6 behind it has a built motor/trans going into it as well.

Nice, do you know what the specs are?

My T/A was in the mid 11s with a street cam, ported 241 cast heads, ls6 intake manifold, 4.10s, tune and bolt ons. It was always a very close race between me and my friend with his 89 240sx with a ls1 with bolt ons it hit 11.8 a couple times lol NO FAIR.

Not 100% sure, but it was a bolt on and cammed LS1. As for the WS6, I am not sure what Slinky's specs are.

thats a 240? damn.. didnt know they could look like that.

yea guru, a garage would totally be part of that deal. Theres a guy down the road from me with a big mansion on a hill on some acerage, got a 3 car attached, and a 3 car seperate built in the same tuscan/craftsman style.. its amazing.. I'd totally live there.

I wont be winning the lotto tho.. I dont even play it. :lol:

My brother has the 89 Supra NA he's owned since 1993 and it's got a spun bearing. It's just begging for an LS1/2 swap. He had a 94 Supra with 500+ whp so he doesn't want to do another 2JZ.

its surprising how many retrofit applications there are for ls motors. I ran into several companies that specialize solely in retrofitting older cars (in my case it was classic chevy and other vehicles) when I was doing my vortec swap.

one was http://www.hotrodlane.cc the other.. I dont recall, I talked to them in person at the super chevy show last year. They had an old rusted out pontiac with an ls1 under the hood. ... actually I dont remember if the car had a hood.. but he gave me his card and talked up a real cheap retrofit deal (less than $2k iirc.. seemed suspicously cheap to me... for a "freshly rebuilt" Ls1 motor..) I dont seem to have his card anymore.. I'm sure hes there every year pushing these things tho.. they're based here in ATL.

You can get a fully assembled longblock LS1 for 1000-1500

My brother has the 89 Supra NA he's owned since 1993 and it's got a spun bearing. It's just begging for an LS1/2 swap. He had a 94 Supra with 500+ whp so he doesn't want to do another 2JZ.

Thats funny cuz my old 87 supra is engineless and i was jsut thinking about putting a ls1 in it. The 87 once had over 500whp aswell with the 7mgte engine. But the turbo setup and engine are all gone, thinking about a 1jz swap or v8.

Heh heh -- this one has been around a while. I know it's still branded with the GalantVR4 site but I once owned #749/2000 so it should be ok :D

http://moojohn.com/subaru/2jzswap.jpg

is it? thats what I thought at first but I couldn't tell. I didn't beleive it was an rx7 because I didnt think an ls1 would fit in such a car.

is it? thats what I thought at first but I couldn't tell. I didn't beleive it was an rx7 because I didnt think an ls1 would fit in such a car.

The rx-7 and the 240sx are the most common cars for ls1 swaps. Mainly because the rx-7 is a such an amazing car and many many people dislike the rotary engine, or they learn to hate it after they buy an rx-7 and have to spend all the freetime working on it lol. On the ls1 forums there is a guy with a cammed/bolt on ls1 240sx that runs low 11s and a built sr20 240sx that runs 10 flat. He said the ls1 240 is much easier to work on and use as a DD and he barely drives the sr20 240 anymore. With heads, intake manifold, more tuning and dialing in the suspension he thinks he will be close to what his sr20 runs but using less gas, with more reliability and much cheaper than that setup.

Archived