LegacyGT.com

98 legacy non turbo mods

Copper is less dense though. They wear faster, and don't stand up as well to heat. Most times they also require a smaller gap. While copper plugs are cheap, they also foul more often.

http://planetgreen.discovery.com/tech-transport/vehicle-care-spark-plugs.html

With today's high ouput ignition systems, coil packs, and electronic ignition, the conductivity you lose by choosing a platinum or iridium plug isn't a problem. With an old vehicle with a worn out or weak ignition coil, copper plugs are best because they are easier to ignite, and tend to have a smaller gap. Once you replace the coil with a new OEM one, or an aftermarket MSD one, it's a good idea to step up to platinum or iridium plugs, since the increased voltage can take a great toll on the soft copper electrodes.

All in all, stick with the type of plug the car came with, unless you have an aftermarket ignition. Afterall, the engineers who designed the engine certainly know better than us do-it-yourselfers/backyard mechanics.

Well I am going to do the MSD coil swap. I'm just trying to find a coil thats not going to cost me too much (possibly used). But we'll see I have 2 other project cars I'm trying to get on the road right now and I'm just trying to keep my LGT there right now while replacing parts with better ones as it needs it.

Archived