LegacyGT.com

Advice on clutch trouble

1:00AM yesterday, I have flown back to Boston from a ten day trip to California. I am picking my car up from Park, shuttle and fly at Logan. My 2005 LegacyGT wagon has been parked in first gear and I parked it and locked it, no one else drove it.

When I go to depress the clutch to turn the ignition, the clutch feels really heavy. And when I try to turn the ignition on, the car lurches forward as the car is still engaged in first gear, even though the car should not start if the car is in gear or if the clutch is not depressed all of the way. Bottom line is that I can change gears easily enough without the engine on, but if I turn the engine on, you can not get into or out of gear, the clutch feels weirdly heavy and springy, especially toward the bottom of the range where it has a strange strong springy motion, and the car wants to move forward even with the clutch pedal depressed which means the plates are still in touch.

3 months ago, I upgraded to ACT clutch (SB5-HDMM) and 06 WRX Flywheel (PN: 12342AA090) based on a lot of positive feedback on this forum. It worked well until after I parked it.

[url=http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=99662][/url]http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=99662

Long story short, I was able to drive the car in second gear to my house in nearby East Boston, and using the back roads, to Dentsport garage later in the morning.

I wonder if these guys did the install right? The car ran well enough until I came back from my ten day trip yesterday.

The main guy at Dentsport did not know what happened, but he thinks the ACT clutch failed, perhaps the springs specifically.

I just spent 2K 3 months ago parts and labor. What do you guys think went wrong, bad install or bad clutch? :confused:

Either bad install or something wrong with the clutch, but it sounds like it isn't disengaging as it should so check that the hydraulic system is correctly bled. Air there will make things really bad when trying to disengage it.

Check the fluid level for the clutch and bleed the system. It may help. Just make sure that you don't spill the fluid on the paint since it eats paint.

453747.png

If you haven't had any problems out of the clutch before you parked it, I honestly doubt that the problem is with the clutch itself. I would bet money on a hydraulic problem, most likely a dying or dead slave cylinder. Though I've never done it on this car, it looks like the slave cylinder is pretty easy to change and it's not a terribly expensive part. Change the slave, bleed the system, and I bet you'll be good to go :)

Thanks all.

If it is a failed slave cylinder or master cylinder, how much to replace parts and labor? Dentsport can't get to it for a few days. I will call around at my other mechanics.

http://www.trademotion.com/partlocator/index.cfm?action=getLocator&siteid=214117&chapter=APL731&appSectionid=11&groupid=10028&subgroupid=61697&make=32&model=Legacy&year=2005&catalogid=1

You can find the rest of the parts on the site.

I'd figure 3 hours at$100.00 per hour

Have you looked to see if you can find a leaks or checked the fluid level yet?

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

3 hours seems like an insanely long time to change a slave cylinder and bleed the hydraulic system. A semi-experienced mechanic should be able to have the stock slave cylinder out in about 15 minutes.

+1 for checking for your reservoir and for leaks

Here we go -- A tractor tailor hit my back door driver's side parked at the mechanic's lot -- new door to add to my list - oh boy.

Does not look like a leak or related to hydraulics. It is probably the disc or a bad install.

Disc or pressure pad may be.

I think a guy on one of the Honda sites I visit has a ACT that the diaphragm fingures are flat. His car wasn't shifting right too.

To bad about your door, it never rains, but it pours...

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

Archived