LegacyGT.com

Help Please! Crazy things going on with my '05 Legacy GT

I have owned my '05 Legacy GT since '07 and had no problems until 2 months ago. I was on a weekend trip about 4 hours away from my home when I turned the car on one night and saw the check engine light on, cruise light blinking, and tripometer reading gibberish. I figured it was nothing and drove home the next day. About an hour down the road, my car began feeling sluggish and then started a horrific rattle. I was in the middle of nowhere, but found a shop that told me to keep driving because they couldn't help me.

When I got to the Subaru dealer in my hometown, they told me the oil feed line had cracked, starving the turbo of oil and causing it to blow. I went through an aftermarket turbo shop to replace it with a larger turbo, frontmount intercooler, and downpipe. However, it still doesn't run right, and I'm not able to get it tuned until it does. The check engine, cruise, and trip are still screwed up. Now they're telling me I have to replace the mass air flow sensor. I don't know if this could have been prevented or not, but I'm going to be in close to $5K when all is said and done.

I should have a car that putting down 350 to the wheels but I was a mere 2K past warranty. Disgusting!

Besides the lights, the car doesn't idle evenly, the brake and clutch pedals shake, which they never did before. I'm getting a code for barometric pressure sensor. Do you think changing this sensor, which is apparently the same as the mass air flow, will make it run normally and allow me to tune it?

Thanks in advance.

[/url]

mine was only 3k past warranty when it happened...did you contact subaru? i dropped mine at the dealer and it is waiting for the go ahead from subaru to be fixed for free by the dealer. we just bought ours 3 weeks ago from a chevy dealer and they are still helping us out. they may even be fixing it for free for us. i was told by and import shop that because the turbo is the last in the oil chain that if anything is low in the oil system, it can cause this. not really sure of much more than that, but we are going to know in the next couple of days how it will all pan out

I should have a car that putting down 350 to the wheels but I was a mere 2K past warranty. Disgusting!

It sounds like you are not stock (350 whp is definitely not stock). If so, your warranty would not cover it anyway.

It's too difficult for me to tell whats going on from your post. You will most likely need to bring it into a shop that specializes in mods and tunes to at least see what your situation is.

It sounds like you are not stock (350 whp is definitely not stock). If so, your warranty would not cover it anyway.

It's too difficult for me to tell whats going on from your post. You will most likely need to bring it into a shop that specializes in mods and tunes to at least see what your situation is.

He only did the mods becsaue he was past warrenty and didnt wanna go with a stock turbo if it wasnt going to be covered.

This:

I went through an aftermarket turbo shop to replace it with a larger turbo, frontmount intercooler, and downpipe.

and this:

However, it still doesn't run right, and I'm not able to get it tuned until it does.

Don't go together. You need to get it tuned with that amount of mods to have it running right. You don't solve issues by adding a huge list of new parts.

Either put it back to stock to find out whats wrong or get a reasonable tune for the new parts before you try and diagnose anything.

austin9535, where do you live, we can't recommend a tuner if we don't know where you live?

You can try Tuning Alliance he's local to me. I'm very happy with his tune.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

OP try starting the car and shutting it off 4 times or so, see the the lights go out.

Mine did that when I was tuned for the boost I was pushing.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

Subaru would not cover it so I took it to an aftermarket company that installed the subaru, front-mount, and downpipe. The car wasn't running when it got to them and is giving a code for barometric pressure sensor, so the tuner won't tune it until that gets fixed. Apparently the barometric pressure sensor and mass air flow sensor are the same, so I'm going to replace that, hope it fixes the idling problems, then go for the tune.

Archived