LegacyGT.com

Help on sealing headlights

mercury3545

I broke my headlights open and painted them about a month back. When i put the lights back together I did it kind of half ass and the lights fog up on occasion. Well I was tired of having to dry them with a hair-dryer everytime it rained so i broke them open again. This time I scraped alot of the old silicon off and put some new silicon in. I put it in the oven to make sure the old silicon still left on the lights was gooey when i put the lights back together. Now my driver side headlight fogs up worse than it did the first time. Any tips on getting a solid, air tight seal? After this time I really dont want to crack my lights open again.

I recently did mine about 2 months ago.. i had both of lights fog up due to humidity in florida.. I took them both off and used black windshield weld silicon from discount auto part to make a good seal($6.00 a small tube)....Had to use full tube to do both lights.. My sealing wasnt the prettiest but try to make a straight bead of silicon and then use finger to rub silicon in and make sure no leaks..Then Let dry....Then the trick is to make sure you dry the inside of lights by removing plastic gray cup on opposite side and blow dry until humidity is gone.. Final step I used my vacuum cleaner hose attatchment to suck out excess moisture for about 3 minutes and you can tell with vacuum if theres a leak. The vacuum will stress if theres a good seal.. If you notice vacuum sucking air easy then you still have a leak..Also be careful you dont touch bulbs in light.. They will were out premature.. Once good seal and humidity is fixed but cap back on ASAP so no more humidity slip in..

This is how I fixed my condensation in lights after blacking out..Hope this helps..

The sealant inside the lights is Buytl (spelling?) rubber. You can get more from Nissan. If you are leaking now and don't want to re split the lights your best bet is automotive black silicone. Don't get the stuff from the hardware store, get the stuff from an auto parts store. Also, black has the least smell and seems to seal the best. The instructions above should work.

Im going to re-split the light that is fogging up one more time just to make sure the seal is good. I used automotive silicon on the lights. Could humidity be getting through the little screw holes on the back of the light?

Archived