LegacyGT.com

Power steering loss during rapid steering

Blitzgt

Fellas, during autocross runs, the faster I try to turn my wheel the heavier the steering gets, to the point that the power part of the steering seems to vanish. Has anyone else experienced this? Please, no stupid comments about "have you checked your fluid level" or "you probably have air in your system" or "check the belt tension" or "is your engine running?" Seriously, It's like turning the wheel when you are stationary and the engine is off, the effort is that high. Thanks

• 6 months later...
  • 4 months later...

Any update to this nearly 1yr old thread? I'm experiencing the same thing during auto-x and I am reluctant to think that it's a operation issue with the PS pump. Things that came to mind include some type of design limits are being met with rapid steering changes relative to engine speed...maybe related to a speed sensitive steering feature?

But I agree with the OP that PS steering just vanishes and it's frustrating. It doesn't happen throughout every turn, just in areas of rapid L/R transition. Impreza guys don't seem to have the issue b/c I get all kinds of strange looks from them when I've questioned them on their familiarity with the issue.

Any inputs would be appreciated.

- Allen.

Archived