LegacyGT.com

newbie!

hello every one! i'm new to the site, and new to the legacy scene. i'm really not even in the scene yet, actually. i am interested in purchasing a '00 to '04 gen legacy gt. and opinions, or things i should know? better yet, anyone owned one? whad ya think?

CN,

Welcome to the site and glad you could join us.

I have three 2nd Gen Legacys (2 98 LGTs and 1 99 L Wagon). You are looking for a 3rd gen Legacy 00-04. I can tell you that each successive generation has raised the bar to the next level of performance, comfort, amenties and sporting good looks.

The major difference between the 2nd gen, other than some stylistic improvement, is the addition of the 2.5 SOHC H4 in all trim levels and the 3.0 DOHC H6 in the upper level Outback Sedan and Wagon models. Previous generations had the H4 2.2L SOHC (L and Brighton models) or the H4 2.5 DOHC (GT, Outback) depending on trim application.

I've found www.edumunds.com to be a really great resource for pricing information on these vehicles. They provide both editor's reviews and consumer reviews and there's a plethora of user threads on the individual vehicles so read up to your heart's content.

As far as the 00-04 LGTs themselves, they are very competent, reliable and hold their value really well. Are you looking for an auto or a manual transmission? The MT seems to deliver more fun quotient but the auto has it's defenders as well. The thing about the normally aspirated 2.5L H4 (at least in the DOHC variant) is that this motor succumbs to head gasket issues at/about the 100,000 mile mark. This has been reported as well with the SOHC 2.5L, just not as regularly as the 2.5L DOHC.

Don't know whether you've ever owned a Subaru before, but the thing to look for is consistent, complete maintenance. If you can find one that has been dealer-maintained and has all the records, that's usually a good sign that the car has been taken car of and will have less "issues" as it ages. Just like any other vehicle, you get out of it what you put into it. Definitely true with Subaru. Maintain them and they run forever.

Search is your friend on this site. If you can't find something, it's possible you're not using a typical text string as your search criteria. When that happens, just pop on and ask the question, letting folks know that you searched but did not find the information that you were looking for. Someone will answere back with info.

Again welcome.

SBT

- Pro amore Dei et patriam et populum -

I had an 03 LGT MT before the 05 and it was a pretty good car overall. Fun to drive,especially in the snow and very reliable. Had two problems: excessive wind noise at drivers side mirror gussett and severe clutch shudder at 15,000 miles. Both problems were fixed under warranty with no hassles. Liked the car, but always yearned for more than the 167 (or so) horsepower that the normally aspirated 2.5 had. Nice car though. When I traded it in at 30k miles it sold before we had even signed papers on the new one. I think the dealer got about $16k for it...

BTW - one of the threads that I subscribe to on Nasioc.com... http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=184026&goto=newpost describes an 02 LGT with 25K on the Odo and head gaskets being replaced. This on a Phase II SOHC engine....

I won't buy a used 2nd / 3rd generation Subaru 2.5L w/o a leak down test, or at a minimum a sniff test (unless they're under original factory warranty or Subaru Gold Extended warranty), just to be on the safe side.

SBT

I currently own a 2000 Legacy GT Limited, and the car is wonderful.

I did need some transmission and clutch work, but that's mainly because A) it was my first MT car, and 2) I drove it like a stupid 18 year old when I got it. Otherwise, I adore my car.

I actually like the seats in my 98 LGTs. They hold up well, both are cloth, and the bolstering is reasonably good for spirited driving. The 00-04's are equally as good too.

SBT

thanks for all the info guys! how does the interior hold up? seats supportive for sportier driving?

My 03 had leather. After 30k miles still looked new. Seats were nice;firm and fairly supportive, although I thought they could have used more bolstering. Driver's was 8-way adjustable.

i am a little worried about purchasing a used car with leather cause it tends to wear out quickly, although i would love to have leather. how about stock sound? i hate the look of an aftermarket deck. how does the stock cd player sound? acceptable?

There's a few things to remember about leather interiors. a) keep the leather clean and well moisturized; b) Tint your windows so that the UV rays can't get to the interior; c) never leave your car sit in the hot sun wiithout a vent open (sunroof or windows cracked slightly to allow air exchange) and d) put a sun-blocker in your front windshield when you park outside.

I had over 170K miles on my 92 Nissan Maxima and the leather interior looked as good as, and was more supple than, the day I bought it. Preventative care is the key.

Base stock system is reasonably good on its own but I'm fairly certain the 02-04 WRX and 01-02 Forester and 6 Disk AM/FM/CD/Cassette (which is a DIN 2 setup) will fit in the 00-04 Legacy with no problems fit or connection wise. Couple that with a Subaru subwoofer and upgraded speakers and tweeters and you'll have a decent sounding, higher output system that's completely stock looking. But your tastes may vary.

The WRX/Forester head units are easily found at < $100 so that's to your advantage.

SBT

Other than the head gasket issue that I mentioned previously, the only other thing that comes immediately to mind is some clutch "judder" issue. You won't find much on here about that because it's been fairly well eliminated but here's at least one post that talks to some of the issues that you'll likely want to be watching for...http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=516578&highlight=clutch+judder

SBT

Archived