LegacyGT.com

Legacy Wagon rear hatch latch broken

My roommate has a 93 legacy wagon and the back door handle won't work. Is there a way to get to the latch and replace it? Either from the outside or inside the car? We really need to get it work. Its kind of pointless having a wagon and only being able to use 4 doors.

post in the older legacy performance section. you may find more help there.
258k miles - Stock engine/minor suspension upgrades/original shocks/rear struts replaced at 222k/4 passenger side wheel bearings/3 clutches/1 radiator/3 turbos

I don't know if your issue is similar to mine, but as of a few weeks ago, just unlocking the doors isn't enough to open the tailgate. I hear the mechanism moving, but it seems as if it's JUUUST not quite enough because I have to put the key in and turn it a bit more before I can open the trunk. Otherwise pulling the handle does nothing. Mine's a 98 though.

The handle is probably rusted out, preventing it from grabbing the latch. It happens, and is common in the first 2 generations of the wagons. You can replace it fairly easy. Access it by removing the interior panel on the hatch, and remove the two bolts.

I think it's like $20 for a new one.

Archived