LegacyGT.com

Going Stage 2

izzy

i finally got around to installing my invidia downpipe and perrin tmic last week. everything went smoothly with the exception of the heat shield not fitting over the new downpipe due to the bigger diameter of the pipe. a little cutting of the engine cover was needed for the larger tmic. stage II is fun, I think the LGT is finally faster than my Z28.

A stock Leggy (2005) is faster tha a Z28:lol:

"Belief does not make truth. Evidence makes truth. And belief does not make evidence."

How did you fix it? I had a stud completely break off the stock turbo on the bottom. I just re-installed everything hoping the gasket and tightening of the bolts would provide enough of a seal until I upgrade to new turbo.

Any inputs?

Sorry to jack......

Get an extractor kit and then re-tap the whole. I know ACE Hardware sells automotive grade studs that fit the pitch of Subaru turbos.

Oh, my bad. I thought you were talking Z28 Cavalier. I would imagine that the Camaro is certainly faster than the Legacy.

The craptastic Cavalier you speak of was the Z24. Sheesh...get your meaningless GM performance" monikers right.

Those of you who want to go open source, look up infamous1, he is a very well respected tuner. He tunes your car on the road instead of the dyno, and I think he does 10 revisions for the price of 1.

I've had my dp and up in the trunk of my car for a week now. Local tuning shops are quoting me $300+ for the install. I talked one down to $260. I think I might just try to do the install myself.

What do you guys think? Good install price for up and dp? Should I just attempt it myself?

Just cleared my headlights last night. Do it!!! Looks so great.

I've done this install 2x now. NO WAY I would pay someone to do it. 1st time took about 1.5 hours, 2nd time took 45 minutes. Its pretty easy.

Always use new gaskets!

:spin:I did it! It took about 7 hours, with many smoke breaks and breathers.

Installed up and dp. I didn't have to loosen engine mounts or jack it up, but I did take off the manifold that goes between the headers and the up pipe.

THE CAR IS F-ING FAST!!!!!:wub: The difference between stage 1 (93) and stage 2 (93) is unbelievable. The gains (butt dyno) are much better than I thought they'd be. And the turbo noise and sound of the car make me smile ear to ear.

I installed Megan DP and UP and flashed stage 2. I am running stock cat back.

OK, here were the problems I ran into.

Megan royally screwed some things up.

The bolts that came with up pipe were WAY too long and would not allow for the re-installation of a down pipe. I had to grind them off using a dremel bit.

The Down pipe is massive and rattles terribly against the undercarriage of the car. I will be removing it again tomorrow and modifying it with a 2/4 and a hammer. I am very annoyed.

I guess you get what you pay for, but then again the gains feel incredible.

I will be reporting back tomorrow with more info and some good pics.

YAY STAGE 2!!!!:D

Uppipe is not to bad i've done several on wrx's and now on my lgt some people will remove the turbo to remove the uppie but ive done both ways and dropping the exhaust manifold is the way to go. just be careful pulling the uppie down you'll have to use alittle finesse to clear the right rear valve cover.. there is a hard rubber half plug that is sanwiched between the valve cover gasket/cover and the head is you bump it to hard you'll push it in to the valve cover and then you have a leak. you'll then have to remove the valve cover and reseal that plug and retorq the valve cover.

I just went stage 2+ last week. I wish I knew how to install the parts myself. I don't have the tools or the experience. Plus a lift would make it much easier. It wasn't cheap but everything was installed correctly and didn't have problems until the street tune. But, the shop was open and they made the corrections.

Archived