LegacyGT.com

interior dome light

zimbonies

Hello there! Newbie here --

I have a question regarding the interior dome light on my Subaru Legacy GT.

I would like the dome light to stay on for 10 or 15 seconds *after* I turn the car off. My '01 Impreza RS had this feature and I really miss it (since I live in the North East, it's always dark here and I need to find my hat and gloves before I go in the house!).

I contacted my local dealer and they want to make an appointment for them to do it. I figured that somebody here will be able to help....

Thank you in advance!

Jim

P.S. I've been able to adjust the 'Fasten Seat Belt' light and bell thanks to this forum! Thank you!

I believe that's a setting you can change. Your owners manual has a table of all the adjustable settings and how you go about changing them. I believe the table is in the first chapter. Oh yeah... I forgot to mention that this table will also tell you if that feature must be changed by the dealer or not.

Brian

legacy_y_tu -- thank you for the quick response.

Yes, I saw this part of the owners manual, but if I'm not mistaken, that is to change how long the light stays on after hitting the remote keyless entry button or if a door is opened.

"The light switch has three positions:

1. The light stays on continuously.

2. Middle position: The light comes on when any door is opened. The light remains on for several seconds and gradually goes out after all doors are closed or if the key is inserted in the ignition switch. The light also can be turned on by use of the remote

keyless entry transmitter. See the Remote keyless entry system (if equipped) in chapter 2 for detailed information. The setting of the period for which the light stays on can be changed by a SUBARU dealer. Contact the nearest SUBARU dealer for details.

3. The light stays off."

I would like the light to stay on for a few seconds after I turn the car off.

Thanks!

Jim

Doesn't that happen when you open the door and shut it?

Yeah it does, but it's nice if it comes on automatically when you shut the car off. That way you don't have to open the door before you gather all your stuff. Sounds like a silly thing ask for but trust me, once you've had it, you'll want it.

.o0O0o.

legacy_y_tu -- thank you for the quick response.

Yes, I saw this part of the owners manual, but if I'm not mistaken, that is to change how long the light stays on after hitting the remote keyless entry button or if a door is opened.

"The light switch has three positions:

1. The light stays on continuously.

2. Middle position: The light comes on when any door is opened. The light remains on for several seconds and gradually goes out after all doors are closed or if the key is inserted in the ignition switch. The light also can be turned on by use of the remote

keyless entry transmitter. See the Remote keyless entry system (if equipped) in chapter 2 for detailed information. The setting of the period for which the light stays on can be changed by a SUBARU dealer. Contact the nearest SUBARU dealer for details.

3. The light stays off."

I would like the light to stay on for a few seconds after I turn the car off.

Thanks!

Jim

Okay, I was just working from memory as I didn't have the manual in front of me., but what you quoted in purple pretty much gives you the answer you need. Let us know how this works out at the dealer.

Brian

Yeah it does, but it's nice if it comes on automatically when you shut the car off. That way you don't have to open the door before you gather all your stuff. Sounds like a silly thing ask for but trust me, once you've had it, you'll want it.

Yes, it does sound silly, but it's very helpful when it's raining in the middle of the night and you are searching for the umbrella and you don't want to leave the door open or reach up to hit the switch to turn on the dome light....

zimbonies,

I posed this same question a while back and didn't get an answer either.

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=7208

The little bit that I had investigated it didn't look like it was an option, dealer programmable or not on our cars. Hearing that your 01 RS had it is encouraging though.

Yes, I saw your tread from before (doing a 'search') and noticed that it hadn't been responded to since January. I thought I'd post a new thread to see if anyone has figured it out since then.

*sigh* -- I guess I'll have to go to the dealer to try and 'splain it to them.

Thanks ellivnad!

The dome light dimming time can be set by the dealer to different incremements, up to 15 seconds after the last door is closed IIRC. It's not something that can be adjusted by the owner.

Ok, just so we are clear, this has nothing to do with opening the doors. Imagine this if you will. You are driving your car and reach your final destination. Its a dark and stormy night and you are parked in a dark parking lot. You turn off your car and whammo the dome light comes on. You didn't actually touch your door at all. You think to yourself, hey, thats pretty nice, I'd like some light right about now so I can gather my things and I didn't have to manually turn on the dome or map lights, or open the door and let in the cold air/ rain / snow/ whatever.
.o0O0o.

I wish there was a way to get the map lights to come on with the dome light when you open the door. The front is too dark sometimes.

There is, and many people including myself have done it. Do a search for dome light and you should discover the thread. If you have the ability to cut/strip/solder wires than you can do it too!

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=4413&highlight=dome+light

Here it is, be sure to read the whole thread as it is an evolving project

.o0O0o.

Ok, just so we are clear, this has nothing to do with opening the doors. Imagine this if you will. You are driving your car and reach your final destination. Its a dark and stormy night and you are parked in a dark parking lot. You turn off your car and whammo the dome light comes on. You didn't actually touch your door at all. You think to yourself, hey, thats pretty nice, I'd like some light right about now so I can gather my things and I didn't have to manually turn on the dome or map lights, or open the door and let in the cold air/ rain / snow/ whatever.

I just got off the phone with the service manager at my local Subaru dealership. He's supposed to call me back with an answer, but he said that the car will probably have to be put on a 'scanner'(?) to have this done. I'll report what he has to say...

I just got off the phone with the service manager at my local Subaru dealership. He's supposed to call me back with an answer, but he said that the car will probably have to be put on a 'scanner'(?) to have this done. I'll report what he has to say...

Alas, I heard back from the dealership. Yes, I have to bring the car in to have them adjust it via some sort of scanner. I have an appointment on the 19th to have it done. I will give a full report after it's complete.

It just seems crazy to me why Subaru would setup the Impreza with this great (albeit not necessary) feature and not on the Legacy....

*sigh*

Alas, I heard back from the dealership. Yes, I have to bring the car in to have them adjust it via some sort of scanner. I have an appointment on the 19th to have it done. I will give a full report after it's complete.

It just seems crazy to me why Subaru would setup the Impreza with this great (albeit not necessary) feature and not on the Legacy....

*sigh*

Please keep us updated!

HV

Please keep us updated!

HV

Well, I went to Subaru yesterday afternoon. I made sure that they understood what I wanted them to do. They assured me that they understood. They also stated "we've never had anyone request this before". (I know, I know -- I'm a bafoon!)

Anyway, 45 minutes later they say that the car is ready. I go outside and the technician is standing next to my car and says:

"This is the longest that we can have the light stay on."

and he proceeds to open and close the door and demostrate the 15 second delay of the dome light staying on after the door is closed.

I tell him that what I really wanted was to have the dome light stay on after I turn the car off, and he says that it will.

Whatever. By this time I just wanted to go home. I feel defeated. I know that it's a rediculous request, but it's a nice feature that Subaru puts on a less expensive vehicle, so why wouldn't they set it up on the Legacy?

Anyway, they didn't charge me anything for the service. If they did, believe me, I'd be on the phone b*tching a blue streak.

So, in closing, the bottom line is that the dome light still doesn't do what I want it to. If anyone has any ideas in the future, let me know. Otherwise, I'll just keep my silly trap shut.

Thanks for all your help!

Jim

Archived