LegacyGT.com

Overheating

I drive a 99' Legacy SUS with 116,xxx miles on the odo. Ok so my altenator and engine was making a grinding noise about two weeks ago. so i took it in to the dealership. they said the thermostat and waterpump was bad and the belts needed changed. So i thought no big deal and told them to do the repair. Well after i got it back last week, the car started to overheat. It doesnt over heat all the time, but most of the time it does. Somoene said its just air in the lines so i was going to bleed it like you do with breaks but then was told by mechanics that you should never bleed the lines for the radiator on a subaru. The techs told me that i should keep running the car and carry anit-freeze with me and it will work its self out eventually. Well its been 2 weeks now and im getting fustrated cus i cant drive my legacy.

Any Suggestions???

Take it back and tell them they broke your car. It never overheated before they touched it.

Why did you take it to the dealer anyway, find a good local repair shop that will care about you. You really don't think a dealership cares to work on your old car, do you?

That being said, there are some stories of HG's going around that mileage on those cars.

Is the alternator still making noise ?

They may have put the wrong thermostat in.

Did they change the timing belt too or just external belts?

When I replaced the timing belt and water pump on my 05 I just refilled the anti-freeze and started the car and let the thermostat cycle and top off as required over the next few day's if it needed any.

Sounds like you don't work on your car.

When the engines cold you can remove the radiator cap and see if there's fluid in there.

Also keep a eye on the level in the overflow tank, just follow the black small hose from the radiator cap, it will go to the bottle. The bottle has a cold and hot level line on it. When cold the level should be at the cold line.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

Archived