LegacyGT.com

Engine overheated, AC not working, 2.5i

I have a 06 2.5i with 60K

It happened today when I took 100 mile trip, 20 miles from my destination I got stuck in a stop and go traffic, suddenly my AC stopped working and I saw oil temp going near red mark. I pulled over, wait for 10 minutes for temp to go down and started again. AC was working on and off and temp was rising again so I turned off AC completely (it was bowing hot air anyway except when I was moving) and temp went to normal. Completed my trip trip without AC and temp was normal I was afraid to turn it back on.

Any ideas? I am going to the dealer on Monday :spin:

Sounds like one of your fans quit. Turn on the AC and watch the fans to see if they come on.

You might not have to do that, I believe there is a testing connector somewhere. When you connect it the fans cycle through a test mode. Do a search.

when AC is ON none of the fans work, with AC off driver side fan is working. I hope its nothing major.

From what I can see the fans are controlled through the ECU. But each fan shall also have a 20 amp fuse and a separate relay.

Just for the sake of it, check that the AC compressor belt is in order and that you don't have a leak in the AC causing it to fail.

That the driver side fan works with the AC off is positive. The fans are independently controlled where one fan is main and the other is supplemental.

If everything checks out as it should with the belt and the AC pressure I suggest that you continue with checking the fuses to make sure that you don't have a dead fuse. Then continue with reading the codes to see if there are any fault codes that can indicate of any problem.

If there still are problems then the problem is more complicated and you will have to check with the dealer. It can be that the AC control module or ECU module has flunked.

453747.png

No because I had the same problem. After sitting at neutral for awhile (like at a drive-thru or something), the temp gauge would start to climb. Plus the AC wasn't getting as cold as it did before I started having this issue. I took my car in and it was covered under warranty - cooling fan relay was replaced.

Pawl, PLEASE tell me more about this issue. as of recent, ive noticed my AC blows cold air and then will suddenly blow normal air. i have the recirc. on, ac running, and will be driving highway speeds and will notice the cold air blowing out suddenly will rise in temp, sending out warmer air. could this be related to the same issue you speak of? it has raised my concerns as of late, but i am very anal about my car and thought that i was possibly being too picky. also, some cars get so cold that they can actually freeze you out on hot days. my leggy doesnt seem to have the ice cold AC juice that some cars ive ridden in have. on hot days, it takes a long time for the cabin temp to drop evenwith teh ac wide open driving again, highway speeds. im just above 40K now, should i be emailing the stealership for an appt?!

^^Idk man, I have the same problem with the AC not getting cold enough all and the inconsistent temp., but I don't know if it is normal. Before, when my engine would overheat, the cooling fans weren't cutting on when they needed to, so there was hardly any cold air coming through the vents. When I had the dealership do the warranty work, I definitely noticed cooler air coming through, but its always been inconsistent every since I got the car pre-owned.

Update: Dealer tested and both fans were dead. Strange, I could not believe it, tech checked all: fuses, relays and connections all worked but when he got to the fans they were both dead. Cost me $650 to replace both. ouch!

For future reference, you can turn your climate control to full heat to assist the cooling system. I've done this a couple of times - most recently while returning from a day offroading in my Bronco. Temp gauge was rising to the red mark and running the interior heat brought the temp down. It was a 100 deg july day also, so I had to switch between cooling the engine and cooling myself!

Note to self - When you go mudding, and finish up the day at the jet wash, remember to wash off the mud BETWEEN the radiator and condenser or your truck will overheat on the way home.

Archived